Keith's Sapphire Black 1M

Raif

Flexing a golden cincture
Mar 20, 2017
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 M3
Lovely cars, always wanted one. Chris Harris has a good video comparing his personal 1m to a m2. His did sound awesome with the akrapovic exhaust. I know you wanna keep stock but do the E92 M performance seats fit straight in these or do you have to buy specific subframes?
Actually I think the performance seats were an optional extra on 1M so technically OEM (unless i'm remembering wrong). Not cheap but easily reversible (plug and play) and they don't really lose value so could likely sell them for what you bought them for if/when you sell the car.

Could be worth thinking about Keith might change the driving experience (obviously its more of a nice to have than a need). The car is already lovely and I'm sure its only going to get better in your ownership

M3Topperz

Wearing official crakows
Mar 2, 2015
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2007 Porsche 911 997 Carrera 4S Aero Cup Kit/ 2001 Jet Black Coupe E46 M3 -Prev- E46 M3 Topaz Coupe
Colour Combo
Jet Black / Imola Red
I was gonna say sure I had seen some 1M's with them and was wondering if they were optional

ADL

Jan 12, 2014
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Porsche Cayman GT4
Don’t think they were optional at the time of order. Think they were part of the newly emerging m performance parts range at the time. May have this wrong though.

kevinm

A mere Chipper
Nov 24, 2021
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 M3 KA401
Colour Combo
Santorini Blue & Black Leather
Actually I think the performance seats were an optional extra on 1M so technically OEM (unless i'm remembering wrong). Not cheap but easily reversible (plug and play) and they don't really lose value so could likely sell them for what you bought them for if/when you sell the car.

Could be worth thinking about Keith might change the driving experience (obviously its more of a nice to have than a need). The car is already lovely and I'm sure its only going to get better in your ownership
You are right! I checked my copy of the installation instructions and the 1 series is listed.

Screenshot 2022-01-10 144753.jpg

Keith

Jul 8, 2009
Reaction score
What're you driving?
1M
Colour Combo
Sapphire Black on Black
Cheers guys.

I’m 100% into the BMWP seats - they’re stunning things. Money no object, it’d be an easy decision.

However I struggle with the value they fetch these day (£3500-4000)? That’s 7-8% of the cars value on a pair of seats. Seems excessive for some nice-looking bum-candy. I could probably find ten better ways to spend that money before getting to the seats. So they’re definitely a ‘nice to have’, but realistically I can’t see me sniffing a set out.

We’re not all ballers like @ADL

Raif

Mar 20, 2017
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 M3
Cheers guys.

I’m 100% into the BMWP seats - they’re stunning things. Money no object, it’d be an easy decision.

However I struggle with the value they fetch these day (£3500-4000)? That’s 7-8% of the cars value on a pair of seats. Seems excessive for some nice-looking bum-candy. I could probably find ten better ways to spend that money before getting to the seats. So they’re definitely a ‘nice to have’, but realistically I can’t see me sniffing a set out.

We’re not all ballers like @ADL
All very true including the comment about Alex.

There are certain parts which you can always sell for what you bought them for. From what I've seen the M performance seats fall into that category so it's kind of a safe investment

Reactions: ADL

Keith

Jul 8, 2009
Reaction score
What're you driving?
1M
Colour Combo
Sapphire Black on Black

There are certain parts which you can always sell for what you bought them for. From what I've seen the M performance seats fall into that category so it's kind of a safe investment
100% agreed on that Raif.

The trouble is I no longer have £4k laying around :muttley:

ADL

Jan 12, 2014
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Porsche Cayman GT4

Listen you pair.-

Swear on me mums life fam right now I am

Unemployed
New baby
Car on tick

These are SCIENTIFIC FACTS.

Morph7

Achieved official socks
Mar 15, 2017
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Audi A3 family wagon
Colour Combo
White
You guys are a financial inspiration.

Keith’s broke but still able to invest in fine watches.

ADL’s on the breadline but recently been able to invest in IT, commodity refining machinery, and metals.

:muttley:

Biggles

Jun 14, 2010
Reaction score
What're you driving?
X3 & Golf R
Congratulations mate it looks a stunner, I absolutely loved mine which looked identical to yours albeit I changed the grilles for the black ones (I know the next owner changed them back). It wasn’t registered in Newcastle was it?

An absolute blast to drive, proper old school feel to it and you can’t afford to be lazy with it or it’ll bite you on the backside as the handling isn’t the most forgiving.

I remember quite a few people on here weren’t fans when I got mine, there were a lot of “not a proper M car” comments as well as haters of the looks which is obviously subjective. I don’t think it helped that TG had it lapping quicker than an M3 (can’t remember which model), the excuses that followed (“ah but you could see the M3 had a heavier fuel load and 4 spots of drizzle on the windscreen”) were hilarious.

I knew the values would always be strong, and seeing where they’re at now is just brilliant (once you’ve got one). I think I had mine for just under 2 years from new and lost £500!

Enjoy it and cherish it!

Reactions: ADL

Keith

Jul 8, 2009
Reaction score
What're you driving?
1M
Colour Combo
Sapphire Black on Black
Congratulations mate it looks a stunner, I absolutely loved mine which looked identical to yours albeit I changed the grilles for the black ones (I know the next owner changed them back). It wasn’t registered in Newcastle was it?

An absolute blast to drive, proper old school feel to it and you can’t afford to be lazy with it or it’ll bite you on the backside as the handling isn’t the most forgiving.

I remember quite a few people on here weren’t fans when I got mine, there were a lot of “not a proper M car” comments as well as haters of the looks which is obviously subjective. I don’t think it helped that TG had it lapping quicker than an M3 (can’t remember which model), the excuses that followed (“ah but you could see the M3 had a heavier fuel load and 4 spots of drizzle on the windscreen”) were hilarious.

I knew the values would always be strong, and seeing where they’re at now is just brilliant (once you’ve got one). I think I had mine for just under 2 years from new and lost £500!

Enjoy it and cherish it!
Cheers man, appreciate it!

No this was registered other end of the country at Ocean Torbay.

Oh yes I remember the controversy at release. I was one of the doubters. No problem admitting that. I’d only ever driven M cars with screaming NA engines, and was reluctant to accept a car without that magic up front. As were a lot of true BMW die-hards.

That’s likely why BMW had originally set a modest production limit of ~2500 cars worldwide. However the reception was so well received, they went on to build 6300, sold globally… They’d made something the people loved.

I still had reservations, right up until I drove it too. The dealer wanted me to leave a non-refundable deposit or risk it selling to someone else in the meantime, but I refused to agree to anything until I’d driven it. That test drive only happened on collection day. Fortunately for both him and I, it all made sense within a very short space of time (a couple of miles down the road), when I began to understand what the car is about.

In all the reading I’ve done since, I found this (copied and pasted):

Dr. Kay Segler (M Division boss who secured the 1M project) when asked during a workshop at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show (Jan 2011) to coin the 1M in a single phrase:
"The 1M is basically a truncated M3 Competition Package with a manual".

It’s a neat description which I totally agree with. The twin turbo engine makes sense after you drive the car, and actually more sense again when you understand the story behind the project - which was ultimately a desire to make it drive like a proper M car, but occupy a different identity to the current M3 (E9X).

Being fortunate to have owned both, I’ve got some thoughts between the two I’ll share later. They both exceptional cars that nail an M-car brief, but from quite different angles.

Anyway, I digress. @Biggles I remember when you had yours clearly, and I also remember you being astonished that even in the years after you sold it, the values remained static. It’s crazy they never really dropped, and now low-milers sell for much more than they were brand new, 11 years later!

gauravM3

Underwear thermally upgraded
Jan 12, 2016
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2009 E90 M3
congratulations mate and enjoy it! It’s one car I’d love to try as well! Surprised you went for black but if I’m honest it looks miles better than VO or White!

ADL

Jan 12, 2014
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Porsche Cayman GT4
Cheers man, appreciate it!

No this was registered other end of the country at Ocean Torbay.

Oh yes I remember the controversy at release. I was one of the doubters. No problem admitting that. I’d only ever driven M cars with screaming NA engines, and was reluctant to accept a car without that magic up front. As were a lot of true BMW die-hards.

That’s likely why BMW had originally set a modest production limit of ~2500 cars worldwide. However the reception was so well received, they went on to build 6300, sold globally… They’d made something the people loved.

I still had reservations, right up until I drove it too. The dealer wanted me to leave a non-refundable deposit or risk it selling to someone else in the meantime, but I refused to agree to anything until I’d driven it. That test drive only happened on collection day. Fortunately for both him and I, it all made sense within a very short space of time (a couple of miles down the road), when I began to understand what the car is about.

In all the reading I’ve done since, I found this (copied and pasted):

Dr. Kay Segler (M Division boss who secured the 1M project) when asked during a workshop at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show (Jan 2011) to coin the 1M in a single phrase:
"The 1M is basically a truncated M3 Competition Package with a manual".

It’s a neat description which I totally agree with. The twin turbo engine makes sense after you drive the car, and actually more sense again when you understand the story behind the project - which was ultimately a desire to make it drive like a proper M car, but occupy a different identity to the current M3 (E9X).

Being fortunate to have owned both, I’ve got some thoughts between the two I’ll share later. They both exceptional cars that nail an M-car brief, but from quite different angles.

Anyway, I digress. @Biggles I remember when you had yours clearly, and I also remember you being astonished that even in the years after you sold it, the values remained static. It’s crazy they never really dropped, and now low-milers sell for much more than they were brand new, 11 years later!

What I really like about the 1m is how it was developed by the engineers just like the original golf gti!

Keith

Jul 8, 2009
Reaction score
What're you driving?
1M
Colour Combo
Sapphire Black on Black
What I really like about the 1m is how it was developed by the engineers just like the original golf gti!
Yeah the story is ace. Few engineers wanted to make it, so they spent a few weekends knocking up the plan, and incredibly managed to get the green light from the bosses. Love it.

I’ll have to find the articles about the story and share them.

Keith

Jul 8, 2009
Reaction score
What're you driving?
1M
Colour Combo
Sapphire Black on Black
congratulations mate and enjoy it! It’s one car I’d love to try as well! Surprised you went for black but if I’m honest it looks miles better than VO or White!
Thanks man, I agree it’s the best choice for me - I don’t mind VO but I don’t love it. White was a dealbreaker, would not have even considered one, as I don’t think it does anything for the aggressive nature of the car.

I was hesitant about owning black again as I know how awful poorly-maintained black bodywork can look. But thankfully this car’s paint was kept immaculate, and looked sensational when I first laid eyes on it. Looks hard as nails too :shades:

E92M3Dex

Wearing official underwear
Feb 1, 2017
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2008 BMW E92 M3
Colour Combo
Jerez black / fox red
What a fantastic example you have there, can't wait to see the progress on this, stunning car. :bow:

Users who are viewing this thread