Jon’s E46 M3 Coupe Schwartz II Black 2001

Discussion in 'Member Rides' started by M3Topperz, Jan 7, 2018.

1. 7 Jan 2018 at 9:14 PM #1
    M3Topperz

M3Topperz Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2007 Porsche 911 997 Carrera 4S Aero Cup Kit/ 2001 Jet Black Coupe E46 M3 -Prev- E46 M3 Topaz Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Jet Black / Imola Red
    Jon’s E46 M3 Coupe Schwartz II Jet Black 2001

So after 18 months of parting with my old e46 m3 and working on other projects, I have finally got the itch back. Been looking everyday for the last 6 months for the right one to come along. One day in November the right spec’d car came on autotrader. It had only been advertised for a few hours and I had already arranged a viewing.

After a 150 mile drive I saw the car and loved it. The car had HK sound system, heated seats etc. It was very well priced but the owner was genuine and stated the body work needed some tlc. One front wing had slight bubbling. The interior is in imola red and has piano black trims. Really lucky that the inside is immaculate, only real issue is some wear on the emblem of the original gear knob top but plan on doing a f10 m5 replacement.

The car has just hit 83,000 miles has full service history. Loads of receipts, new clutch, brakes.

The car is original apart from black front grills, led rear lights.

So a deal was done and I drove the car home 150 miles.

It wasn’t until I did more research that I realised how rare this colour was apparently 212 rhd coupes were made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  2. 8 Jan 2018 at 6:43 PM #2
    M3Topperz

Your Motor:
    2007 Porsche 911 997 Carrera 4S Aero Cup Kit/ 2001 Jet Black Coupe E46 M3 -Prev- E46 M3 Topaz Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Jet Black / Imola Red
    Also new CSL wheels from CMWheels have come.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 5 Mar 2018 at 5:34 PM #3
    vj86

vj86 On the path

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 E46 Cabrio (07 Reg)
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    they are like pringles, once you pop you just can't stop! hard to drive anything else after an M3 really

4. 6 Mar 2018 at 5:48 PM #4
    random

random Rocking a new hat

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Sapphire Black
    Congrats on the purchase, the true black paintwork looks so much better than the usual carbon black.

I saw it up for sale was so well priced that i was about to purchase it just as another project but you beat me to it. :)

Look forward to seeing the improvements.

JamboM3 likes this.
  5. 6 Mar 2018 at 10:36 PM #5
    M3Topperz

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Jet Black / Imola Red
    Thanks mate, it was priced very well, the owner was retired and was very honest about the car. Needed a few bits doing to it that have now been sorted. Waiting on a few more parts and will have pages of updates.

6. 3 Jun 2018 at 12:50 PM #6
    Brettg40

Brettg40 On the path

Your Motor:
    2002 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Jet Black 668
    :beer: Jet black crew

7. 27 May 2019 at 11:52 AM #7
    M3Topperz

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Jet Black / Imola Red
    Sorry for being quiet for so long. The car has changed quite considerably in the last year.

Firstly the car was taking to Darragh at 'Everything M3' to get checked over. A compression test revealed that the head gasket was gone and also a CPV had a slight leak. At the same time the vanos had a minor rehaul and also updated my diff bolts, diff oil and diff friction modifier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darragh did a great Jon and was good to hear that my engine was in good health. He did however state that my oem cats were making a vibration noise.

When I got the car home. The exhaust cats were taken off and the one side had completey perished.

I was looking at second hand cats for around £300 but looking at the price of 100 cell cats from Tegiwa with the group buy I was organising, I believed this was the better route.

I purchased a set and got them fitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When fitted the car felt more responsive and the exhaust tone was deeper. The rasp was also much louder. Also while the car was up on the ramp spotted that the car was seating on Eibach pro springs. I thought the car was standard height so this was great surprise.

8. 27 May 2019 at 11:53 AM #8
    M3Topperz

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Jet Black / Imola Red
    The next job on the list was to fix a sagging door seal. Purchased some gorilla glue and took my time applying it and refitting the seal. Then used some tape to hold it securely will the glue cured.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was in the mood lso fixed my flickering front headlight. I took the light out and checked all connections and the ballast. Cleaned all connections and fitted a new bulb. This cured the problem. no more flickering or light on the dash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following weekend I was able to look into a door locking problem. The door lock actuator would lock the car but wasn't opening the lock. I was able to source a second hand actuator from Ebay for £20.00 from a m3 breaker. I was able to fit this with out removing the window frame. I loosened some of the side bolts and was able to shift the frame enough to slip the actutor in. It was abit of a pain but when all fited, the door was fixed.

[​IMG]

Also fitted a new oem fog light surround.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also started work on fitting some euro tips. I was able to source some unwanted euro tips for a steal from a cutter. Significatly cheaper then the group buy. I few drill drill bits later and the old ones were off and new ones fitted with new rivots. Really like the look of these when fitted with CSL parts.

[​IMG]closest bp

After waiting for a long time I was able to source a brand new oem CSL bootlid, which came with the boot lights. For £450.00 posted I thought this was a steal. I was also able to source a new Csl style rear diffuser for a great price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 27 May 2019 at 11:59 AM #9
    M3Topperz

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Jet Black / Imola Red
    The car was then booked into get a full respray in the original Schwartz II factory color. I was able to source some used front wings in very good condition off a low mileage breaker to get fitted at the time. The front and rear inner wings were to be cleaned and treated with POR15 as a sealant and also a injection of Dinatrol sill wax foam was sprayed in the sills with extended hose for future protection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 weeks later the car was done.

lambert likes this.
  10. 27 May 2019 at 11:59 AM #10
    M3Topperz

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Jet Black / Imola Red
    Whilst I was waiting 4 weeks for the car to be done. I started to build a car port to keep the car out of the UK weather. My garage was to tight and the ramp up to it was very steep even for a normal standard car. I wanted to try and do all the work myself. I firstly started by constructing the roof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the floor and ramp was concreted and lastly electrics were installed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 27 May 2019 at 12:00 PM #11
    M3Topperz

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Jet Black / Imola Red
    When the car was back home I decided a few bits needs freshening up. I was able to buy some E38 7 series side indicators which are the same as the original m3 ones but at less then half the cost.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 27 May 2019 at 12:03 PM #12
    M3Topperz

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Jet Black / Imola Red
    I next fitted a new centre console. Which was surprisingly cheap £48.00 and has made a massive difference in my interior. I also fitted new oem cup holders and coin dispenser and tray. I new E46 weighted clubsport gearknob was fitted and a new relocation panel. Whilst the gear knob was fitted a new oem E46 330d short **** kit was fitted. Don't listen to the rumours that this can be fitted in the car only. You definitely have to get under car. It wasn't to diffcult just a bit fiddely. I also fitted new leather gaitors for the gearknob and hand brake.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 27 May 2019 at 12:04 PM #13
    M3Topperz

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Jet Black / Imola Red
    A new oem style sat nav screen was fitted. I did alot of research into which one I was going to buy. I am really pleased with it. Really improves the look in the cabin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of my Harman Kardon speakers was broke so managed to source a second hand one of ebay for £15.00 and fitted it. Everything is working correctly now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next job was to restore the seats, steering wheel, arm rest and handbrake handle. I used a pear soap to clean seats and then a Gliptone leather condition oner to condition them. I also used a dye kit to restore some slightly worn areas.

Excuse the shine the seats are still damp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 27 May 2019 at 12:05 PM #14
    M3Topperz

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Jet Black / Imola Red
    I have always wanted to fit a CSl style airbox. I original brought a ebay fibreglass special for £400 but then decided to go down the carbon box route. I was able to sell the box for the same money and then patiently waited for a used carbon box to come up for sell.

After a long wait fellow cutter Karl 04LSB put a GSR Carbon airbox for sale for £850. It had only covered a few thousand miles and was in mint condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

M3 carbon helped through the process of sourcing the correct parts to change to a map sensor, he also helped me with the fitting and wiring that I did myself. I sent the Ecu off to him to be converted and then he remotely remaped my car for the new airbox and 100 cell cats. I also had CSL shift light programmed. The car drove amazing after and really does pull like a stripper at a hen party and M3 carbon was great from start to finish. Can not recommend him enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 27 May 2019 at 12:06 PM #15
    M3Topperz

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Jet Black / Imola Red
    Now I had the extra power I wanted to improve the braking. The car is a fast road car and will probably see maybe 1 or 2 track days a year only. Due too being a second car I am on a tight budget and with most BBK kits being £1000 - £3000 that was out of the question. I was going to send my original calipers off to be rebuilt, add performance pads, uprated brake fluid and braided hoses. I was budgeting around £350.00.

On the off chance I was on ebay looking at e46 refurbished calipers and spotted a set of E31 840i Brembo 4 pots. They had recently being refurbished and rebuilt and came with new pads. They were a direct fit so no need to change the discs. I also brought some new hella braided hoses front and rear of a cutter for £50.00 and some Ate super fluid Typ200 on offer from Euro.

The same calipers are fitted to other cars but only a have a slightly different bolt pattern. Such as Ferrari 550 / 575, Nissan R34 GTR, Maserati Gran turismo, Lamborghini Diablo etc.

The pad does miss around 6mm of inner edge of the disc but the other thing to note is that all though you lose 6mm you also gain 3mm on the outside where the pads overhang slightly and the original pads leave a lip. So in effect with the 3mm you gain and 6mm you lose it cancels out that you only lost about 3mm of pad sweep.

I also at the same time fitted 12mm spacers from CM wheels on the car. This also helped with clearance for the callipers but they did just fit without the spacers but was very tight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 27 May 2019 at 12:07 PM #16
    M3Topperz

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Jet Black / Imola Red
    Some recent photos after a detail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

YoungBenny, e46shah, R60BBA and 2 others like this.
  17. 27 May 2019 at 1:17 PM #17
    lambert

lambert Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    Absolutely love those pictures there stunning!

What a car! Credit to you.

:bow:

Lambert

M3Topperz likes this.
  18. 27 May 2019 at 1:23 PM #18
    M3Topperz

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Jet Black / Imola Red
    Hope your good mate and yeah she's coming along nicely, thanks.

lambert likes this.
  19. 29 May 2019 at 11:37 AM #19
    Jimbo25

Jimbo25 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Laguna Seca Blue / Black
    That looks ace, really nice to see a non carbon black and just a proper black.

That head unit looks exactly like mine, there are a few mods you can do if you don't mind getting a bit techy flashing software from SD cards etc that really improve it. It's possible for it to go wrong though and I've rebuilt the software on mine about 5 times now lol

CSL rear bits and Euro tips is a great combo, got exactly the same on mine

M3Topperz likes this.
  20. 29 May 2019 at 11:29 PM #20
    DanHayM3

DanHayM3 On the path

Your Motor:
    2005 e46 M3
    What are those brakes like compared to standard? Huge difference?

M3Topperz likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)