[E46] Is this suitable trolley jack/stands

Discussion in 'General maintenance, upgrades and modifications' started by M3NNY, Oct 8, 2019.

1. 8 Oct 2019 at 12:08 PM #1
    M3NNY

M3NNY A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    NA
    Hi

Wasnt sure where to post this but I need to buy a trolley jack and axle stands to allow me to take wheels off and give the car a good clean underneath, based on my requirements is the below suitable:

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-t...alfords-2-tonne-trolley-jack-short-wheel-base

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-t...e-stands/halfords-2-tonne-ratchet-axle-stands

Seeing as the above are so cheap I am thinking of treating myself to these as well to complete the set:

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-t...e-stands/halfords-2-tonne-ratchet-axle-stands

Thanks
    Manny

2. 9 Oct 2019 at 9:01 PM #2
    Jimbo25

Jimbo25 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Laguna Seca Blue / Black
    Nothing wrong with the axle stands but I'd really REALLY recommend a better jack, one where you can twist the handle to lower the car, those ones where you have to remove the handle are such a pain in the arse constantly taking the handle in and out if you need to reposition it. Much easier to have a larger rotating handle fixed properly to the jack and use that to position it, quick twist and boom.

I got this one cause I wanted aluminium (still bastard heavy!) but think SGS do cheaper steel ones - appreciate though this is a lot more than the halfords one you looked at
    https://www.contorion.de/betriebsau...NPZ_k6vv_GbVYgMIX32DXQ-HLfa4aAgViEALw_wcB:G:s

I think the first two times you used it it would piss you off - I had one of them and hated using it after a while.

YoungBenny likes this.
  3. 9 Oct 2019 at 9:41 PM #3
    YoungBenny

YoungBenny Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    Was going to recommend SGS, they do a set I'm after. 4 axle stands (with locking pins, not a fan of ratchet) and a low entry - high lift jack for £160, but they do sets for other budgets too.

You'll definitely want a better jack, the head on the Halfords Jack is too small and I find it's lifting range too short to get the axle stands under on my drive.

Have a browse on here...

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks

4. 10 Oct 2019 at 8:01 AM #4
    M3NNY

M3NNY A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    NA
    Thanks guys - valid point about having to take the handle out to lower i - didnt think of that!

5. 10 Oct 2019 at 8:10 AM #5
    M3NNY

M3NNY A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    NA
    So based on my requirements that I simply need it to be able to take wheels off so that i can clean the arches front and back and also potentially take sill covers off, will the following be good enough:

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj2-2-trolley-jack

I cant justify spending a lot more...

Is the lifting height sufficient?

would i need the puck to place between jack and car? i was hoping to use the jacking points that are by the sills

6. 10 Oct 2019 at 11:47 AM #6
    simonas

simonas Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 Vert SMG TVR Chimaera 500 Land Rover Defender
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black/Kiwi Leather
    Sorry for the thread hijack but am I right in thinking that if I bought two of the axle stands from Halfords posted above, that would be enough for oil changes , collant changes etc?

7. 10 Oct 2019 at 7:25 PM #7
    Jimbo25

Jimbo25 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Laguna Seca Blue / Black
    yeah two axle stands and the jack nearby (not holding the car but raised just under it in case anything drops) is safe to get under. Trickiest thing I find on the M3 is jacking up and getting the stand in, usually jack the sill pad, then axle stand under the front wishbone rear bush

simonas likes this.
  8. 10 Oct 2019 at 8:00 PM #8
    YoungBenny

YoungBenny Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    For the sake of covering all bases...

That jack looks pretty much the same as the Halfords one. If that's your budget I'd get the jack and two stands (+ a puck) and have some thick bits of wood handy.

Jack up one side on the jacking point and put a bit of wood under the wheel, then remove the jack. Do the same the other side and the cars ground clearance will be good enough to get the jack under to jack it up on the jacking point on the subframe. Then you can put your axle stands.

The rear will be easier due to the rake and body shape. And if your car isn't lowered you might be able to avoid all of the messing around with the wood.

Alternatively if it's literally just to clean one wheelarch at a time you could just have the jack and a puck but I personally wouldn't want just the jack holding up the corner of the car on it's own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)