Is the G series really better ?

RichardGM4

A mere Chipper
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2019 BMW M4 Competition
Colour Combo
Black Sapphire
No, I didn’t find it much different in this regard to the M5 . Do folks actually use auto mode in the M5 and M3/4 ?. I have never used auto mode at all, in all the DCT and ZF boxes I have owned.
I use the auto mode on my F82 Comp but only if I'm trundling along in heavy stop/start traffic (gearbox Mode 2) or if I'm cruising on the motorway (gearbox mode 1). I pretty much keep it in manual the rest of the time.

M 4 FUN

A mere Chipper
Reaction score
What're you driving?
BMW M4 competition 2017
Colour Combo
Triple black.
Well, there is not much to do about the higher weight, no manual gearbox in the Comp. and the increased size and the not so good design. But i guess it's a nice car to drive with a good chassi.

Jabba77

Wearing official underwear
Reaction score
What're you driving?
BMW G82 M4 Comp
Colour Combo
Frozen Brilliant White/Black
No, I didn’t find it much different in this regard to the M5 . Do folks actually use auto mode in the M5 and M3/4 ?. I have never used auto mode at all, in all the DCT and ZF boxes I have owned.
Agreed. My car remains permanently in manual, even on the motorway or in traffic. I prefer the degree of control I have.

JappaM2

Wearing official robes
Reaction score
What're you driving?
G80 M3 Competition M xDrive
Colour Combo
Skyscraper Grey / Black
Agreed. My car remains permanently in manual, even on the motorway or in traffic. I prefer the degree of control I have.
Always kept my M2 in manual mode 95% of the time. During RIS period in the M3 I have been lazy with the fully auto mode. Had chance today to open it up a bit and got back to using the paddles in mode 3. So far, not missing the DCT. I get the best of both worlds with the way they programmed the ZF box.

Also love the new CF paddles. Thought with them being longer that they would feel flimsy and clicky when pulled from off centre but they are solid and the rubber insert in the rear feels very tactile too.

Users who are viewing this thread