Is EDC a Dealbreaker-Opinions?

Discussion in 'E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)' started by M3nuttah, Nov 7, 2019.

1. 7 Nov 2019 at 4:54 PM #21
    325i

325i Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    M3
    I thought you have a £19k budget. Good chance the seller will take a £19k offer.

2. 7 Nov 2019 at 6:11 PM #22
    RBM3

RBM3 On the path

Your Motor:
    2011 E92 M3 DCT Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral White
    If its better satnav you're after, i have just (after a lot of swearing, and £500) got apple CarPlay running in mine. Got the choice of apple maps / google maps / waze.

Before anyone pipes up with any apple hate, the interface does android auto too.

3. 7 Nov 2019 at 8:22 PM #23
    Keith

Keith Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    S65B40
    Colour Combo:
    Santorini Competition Pack
    Yes, dealbreaker 100%,

I’ve had 5 V8 M3s now and clicked out of any advert I looked at if the car didn’t have EDC.

Once you realise how convenient it is to be able to noticeably change the comfort of a car at the touch of a button, you would want to go without.

Plus even if YOU can take it or leave it, when you gone to sell, a lot of people like me won’t even consider it so you’re limiting your market come sale time.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    lemansblue and M3POWERBOY like this.
  4. 7 Nov 2019 at 8:35 PM #24
    M3POWERBOY

M3POWERBOY Sponsor

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 SMG Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey/Black Nappa/Alcantara Custom Recaro CS/CSL
    The only reason I WOULDNT want it is if I was going to create a full on track car and always keep it as such

Like Keith has said it’s a fantastic option to have and also come selling time it’s a option the buyer will probably want aswell

Keith likes this.
  5. 7 Nov 2019 at 9:00 PM #25
    kevM3

kevM3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2008 E92 M3 & 2015 220i M sport
    Colour Combo:
    Sparkling Graphite ,Black leather ,Estoril Blue 220i
    EDC is one of the holy trinity of must haves ,heated seats and uprated hifi the others, edc is even better coded to comp pack settings!

Keith likes this.
  6. 8 Nov 2019 at 10:43 AM #26
    Boxa

Boxa Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 CP Mineral White
    Absolute deal breaker for me. My car doesn't have a huge spec (comp pack with base audio and no heated seats, I like to call it track spec!) but the 3 options I wanted needed were EDC, rear PDC (but not front as it looks damn ugly with sensors in the front bumper) and Extended leather.

Out of all those, EDC was the only one I really wouldn't have compromised on. I used to click through the adverts and find the interior pics to see if the car had it, and if not the ad was ignored regardless of the rest.

For me its a must have as the car is a jack of all trades, so it needs to be able to perform as one. The comfort setting is just perfect for normal day to day driving, and at the push of a button you can sharpen it up for those moments when you're having fun. Of course having the single setting is perfectly do-able, but its a massive compromise and not something I was prepared to accept given the alternative options EDC provides.

Keith likes this.
  7. 8 Nov 2019 at 11:01 AM #27
    bennn

bennn Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    B7 RS4 Avant
    Colour Combo:
    Sprint Blue / Black
    Nice to know there is someone else as weird as me who was keen not to have the front parking sensors!

8. 8 Nov 2019 at 11:14 AM #28
    Boxa

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 CP Mineral White
    Yes mate I'm in the weird camp, I like my car to look as clean and uncluttered as possible.

They're awful, up close they ruin the look completely IMO. It's bad enough having them on the rear but more of necessity due to the crap visibility, and again many won't buy without so they help on resale, otherwise I'd bin them.

9. 8 Nov 2019 at 1:03 PM #29
    Unit

Unit Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2018 F82 M4 DCT
    Colour Combo:
    San Marino Blue & Black
    Had both - really wouldn't miss it on the E92. I'd sooner have a well looked after E92 with overall better spec than one specifically with EDC.

10. 8 Nov 2019 at 1:22 PM #30
    M3nuttah

M3nuttah A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    E90 335d Msport
    I will have a 19k budget but only once I sell my car.. So not in a position just yet to make offers..

11. 8 Nov 2019 at 2:29 PM #31
    Unit

Your Motor:
    2018 F82 M4 DCT
    Colour Combo:
    San Marino Blue & Black
    Thing is it's all down to personal preference. People are talking as though not having EDC means your car has the plague and nobody will buy it when you come to sell. Outside of enthusiasts like us 99% E92 buyers won't even know when DCT means never mind EDC. They'll just look at the age, milage and condition of the car.

12. 8 Nov 2019 at 2:51 PM #32
    Boxa

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 CP Mineral White
    Not sure I buy into that. It's not like the M3 is a run of the mill car like a Ford Focus where 1% of buyers are enthusiasts and 99% are Joe Public. I'd say the vast majority of buyers are enthusiasts like the rest of us here, it's a very small minority that might buy one of these V8's without doing a lot of homework first.

I think there are plenty out there that won't be fussed whether the car they are buying has EDC, but not many that won't know what it is and how its likely to affect desirability. Those that buy without will likely ensure the price reflects it. I was fussed, hence why it was top of my list.

13. 8 Nov 2019 at 2:55 PM #33
    Unit

Your Motor:
    2018 F82 M4 DCT
    Colour Combo:
    San Marino Blue & Black
    E92s are now at an age where far more younger kids can now afford them and the buying demographic is now a lot wider. The bragging rights of owning a V8 M3 mean many just want the car not the spec. Remember as premium cars these cars even in basic levels of spec seem special (and rightly so) to most people.

14. 8 Nov 2019 at 3:03 PM #34
    Boxa

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 CP Mineral White
    I hear you, but I'm not seeing any younger kids buying them round my way, probably due to the insurance cost and the the cost of consumables such as tyres. The younger generation tend to go for the likes of the Golf R - they get all the performance and add a big chavvy exhaust for the noise, all for an affordable monthly PCP payment. I really do think the E92 onwards are still very much an enthusiast car, on the whole.

bennn and Unit like this.
  15. 8 Nov 2019 at 3:27 PM #35
    Unit

Your Motor:
    2018 F82 M4 DCT
    Colour Combo:
    San Marino Blue & Black
    Yeah know what you're saying mate. Ive just seen a lot more E92s getting "chavved" recently much like the E46 did before it and those buyers tend not to care so much. Hopefully you're right as I absolutely loved my 2 E92s and think a well looked after one is going to be a diamond in 5 - 6 years time (albeit even more expensive to run once the Greta Goblin and her chums have ruined motoring for us :D)

16. 8 Nov 2019 at 3:42 PM #36
    Nota911

Nota911 On the path

Your Motor:
    E90 M3 LCI DCT EDC
    Colour Combo:
    Black on black
    I'm selling a 4 door with EDC - they certainly do exist! And yes its an absolute must have for me and cars without it weren't even considered

17. 8 Nov 2019 at 5:12 PM #37
    ndj

ndj Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M3 Taxi
    Unit is spot-on.

How old are the youngest E9x's now? How many owners has the typical E9x had? How many opportunities to be thrashed, crashed, trashed and/or serviced/maintained by owners who can't afford to do it properly?

Rejecting a good car that doesn't have EDC is at least naive and at worse reckless, and as time ticks by this only increases in relevance. EDC nice-to-have? Absolutely! Stating that it's essential? Ridiculous! Same for the rest of the boxes ticked by the first owner. I wouldn't have bought mine without heated seats. Is that essential for others? Of course not!

When I was looking for my first E39 M5, donkey's ago, the forums bleated on about "only buy one with Hi-Line Nav/Audio/Phone or you won't be able to sell it". Wrong, and as time went by the complete opposite became true when they all started to lunch themselves and cost a fortune to repair! Or go back over 5 year ago on this forum when there were a lot of disparaging posts about the E90... crap, boring, ugly, no CF-roof, dad's car, nobody buy's it, yada-yada.

Like ANY used car, buy the best example you can afford (condition/provenance/history) and consider the options fitted to be a bonus. That's my opinion based on 30 years of car buying, but possibly the best piece of advice given on this thread so far.

And to the OP, if you're looking to keep hold of the car, take your time and buy the best E90 LCI you can find, with or without EDC, as I suspect it could become a bit of an investment over time with only 250 originally sold in the UK. I'm looking forward to the market for these cars 5-10 years into the future.

18. 8 Nov 2019 at 6:35 PM #38
    Deep pan

Deep pan Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E90 Lci 6MT
    Colour Combo:
    Alpine white, that old chestnut interior.
    I bought my car going by the main things I wanted which was 4 door, lci, manual and colour combo, all else did not matter.
    That's after having an e93 with dct and edc.

19. 8 Nov 2019 at 6:50 PM #39
    asifm3

asifm3 Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    //M3 comp pack f80
    Colour Combo:
    Sakira/black
    i have owned both
    edc is most def a deal breaker having experienced it

20. 8 Nov 2019 at 9:10 PM #40
    Deep pan

Deep pan Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E90 Lci 6MT
    Colour Combo:
    Alpine white, that old chestnut interior.
    So it's a must for some people but not others. I read the conclusion as: its personal preference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

1. yavor