Introduction: new poster

Discussion in 'Welcome & New Owners Section' started by RobertM3, Feb 14, 2021.

1. 14 Feb 2021 at 9:21 PM #1
    RobertM3

RobertM3 A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    1995 M3 Evo Saloon/2008 M3 coupe
    Hello to you, fellow petrolheads and worshippers of the ///M cult,

My name is Robert and I've been on here for quite some time. Passively, reading that is, not posting. I figured it was time to contribute, having read numerous informative and amusing threads over the years, and with the distance between the UK and the continent only increasing, this might be considered an effort to close that gap at least a bit. I'm closing in on my 42nd birthday and live in The Netherlands.

Over the years I've owned quite a few motors varying from several Impreza Turbo's (tuned and non-tuned), both GC8 and GD8 (the GC8 is called GT Turbo over here, the GD8 is the WRX Bugeye), fast Fords like the Mk1 Focus RS and Fiesta ST (absolutely loved those) and a first gen Porsche 996 with a manual and LSD. Pics available on request, but I'll stick to the more relevant cars for this forum.

Back in 2011 I bought my first M3, a 1995 e36 Evo Saloon. I already had an e36 318i, which my dad had from new and it was my dad who lit the BMW-flame. I was practically born in an e21 318, and several e30's, e36's and e46's have come and gone since then. The e36 M3 is still with me, and I doubt I'll ever sell it. I was hooked since I saw the first ads and tests back in the 90's and pictures of an e36 M3 in Autobahn Polizei trim really hit hard: I had to have one when I "grew up". Well, here it is, at home:

[​IMG]

In 2017 I added an e46 M3 to the stable. I fell into the shortage-of-storagespace-trap and always seemed to be moving from service, to APK (MOT), to sensor here, tyres there, APK again, service and a major engine overhaul for the e36 after a catastrophic failure. The e36 had already continuously eaten into the automotive budget over the years, so I decided to lose the most reliable cars and get another M3. At least the total number of cars in my possession was decreasing. Anyway, enter the 2004 manual e46, photographed at home:

[​IMG]

While I wasn't really on the lookout for something else, in the summer of 2020 I stumbled across an e92 (I had my eyes on for a couple of months......). A previous experience in a manual e92 with Eisenmann exhaust was a bit underwhelming (but very LOUD!!!), so I had no real intention of getting into one. So I thought... The e92 has the no-Eisenmann option and I quite like it. I was a bit reluctant to let the e46 go, but I quickly got over that once the fluids in this e92 were properly warmed up. As a matter of fact, I came to the insight I should have gone for the V8 sooner. I haven't had the opportunity yet to take this one home. Hopefully 2021 will be a bit more pleasant in that respect. I did however get it detailed and glasscoated.

[​IMG]

Anyway, thanks for making it this far. I look forward to enjoying and experiencing the forum on the next level! Cheers!

Morph7, Keith, tammc87 and 10 others like this.
  2. 14 Feb 2021 at 9:30 PM #2
    DarenP

DarenP Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2011 E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Min White / Fox Red
    Welcome along, great looking E92 :)

3. 14 Feb 2021 at 9:32 PM #3
    MandyM3

MandyM3 Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril blue, champagne nappa leather
    Welcome along :thumbsup: great introduction and lovely cars, thanks for the pics!

4. 14 Feb 2021 at 9:36 PM #4
    Derekh929

Derekh929 Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    F56 JCW & Vintage MTB
    Colour Combo:
    WS CR Roof
    Welcome to cutters Robert, that some great cars you have had, lovely e92

5. 14 Feb 2021 at 10:15 PM #5
    ADL

ADL Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    Porsche Cayman GT4
    Welcome bud

6. 15 Feb 2021 at 10:08 AM #6
    R20OOY

R20OOY Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    F30 330D, Previously E46 M3
    very subtle looking e92 ... welcome

7. 15 Feb 2021 at 10:39 AM #7
    GolfDuck

GolfDuck Staff Member Moderator

What're you driving?:
    Carless & witless
    Welcome and nice car history :)

8. 15 Feb 2021 at 6:03 PM #8
    RobertM3

RobertM3 A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    Many thanks for the welcome!

The e92 is a pre-lci 2008, and still mostly stock. Before I picked up the car, I had the rodbearings replaced (as is tradition when buying an s65). I've kept the old bearings, since they came out completely in line with the rest of the car and the previous owner, which is very tidy and clean. Better safe than sorry.... Getting a Macht Schnell induction set fitted in a couple of days (I'm a sucker for induction noise). Don't really know what else to do with it, and don't want to stick carbon lips and wings on it. I believe those look better on a e92 that's a bit lowered and preferably fitted with the 19 inch Competition wheels. Also had an aftermarket headunit installed, so I could enjoy Apple CarPlay and other 21st century tech :)

One other thing to do is tighten up the gearshift a bit. I had a lot of bushes and other gear linkage stuff replaced on the e36 M3, and the difference was night and day. Not quite sure it that would work on the e92. Not to keen on going down the shortshifter route, I would like to keep the OEM look as much as possible.

[​IMG]

Keith likes this.
  9. 17 Feb 2021 at 8:23 PM #9
    suraj

suraj A Chosen One! Staff Member

What're you driving?:
    Not an M3 :(
    Welcome buddy, car looks mint :)

10. 22 Feb 2021 at 11:04 PM #10
    aatothek

aatothek Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    2011 E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Space Grey/Black
    Welcome along bud. Absolutely sexual e92 there!

11. 23 Feb 2021 at 3:14 PM #11
    RobertM3

RobertM3 A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    Thank you all for the compliments. I am indeed very happy with the car. Last week I had the Macht Schnell induction kit installed, to spice things up a bit. It did just that: spice things up a bit. There's no night and day difference between stock and with the kit, although it can be heard higher up in the rev range. Nothing shocking really and perhaps not quite worth the money if I'm honest. I'll keep it for a while and see where it goes.

[​IMG]

aatothek likes this.
  12. 23 Feb 2021 at 3:43 PM #12
    Keith

Keith Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    S65B40
    Colour Combo:
    Santorini Competition Pack
    Very very nice my friend! Like you I have had the E36, E46 and E9X generations. Sucker for those high-revving NA engines that ///M do so well. I’m pleased like many more of us, you have found the V8 a truly exciting engine.

Love the colour of yours, and looks super clean after the ceramic coat. I especially love the cloth seats with centre stripes (very rare), and it’s look well on the 18” wheels.

Very cool example you have. Keep us posted with updates and pictures! :beer:

13. 23 Feb 2021 at 8:25 PM #13
    BobbyMac

BobbyMac Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    Transit
    Looks great on those wheels mate :thumbsup:

aatothek likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)