How to create a coding profile in NCS Expert

Discussion in 'BMW Diagnostic, programming and software discussion' started by M3Laith, Mar 2, 2011.

1. 2 Mar 2011 at 1:26 PM #1
    M3Laith

M3Laith Achieved official socks

To be able to code to the modules, you need to make a profile that can write to the ECU.

Here's how to do it:

1) Open NCS Expert.

2) Open up the 'Expertmode' profile.

3) Save as a new profile (give it a name, like the godfather or something powerful-sounding :p).

4) Load the 'godfather' profile.

5) Edit it (file --> edit. Password is repxet).

6) Make sure under button 'Individualisierung' all options are crossed.

7) Make sure under button 'FSW/PSW', that 'from CVT' is chosen, and that the bottom two boxes are crossed.

8) Finally, press 'consistence check' and check it works.

9) Then press okay.

You should now have a coding profile!

You read using the 'Expertmode' profile, and code using the 'Godfather' profile. (ignore the other profile)

:)

2. 5 Mar 2011 at 9:58 PM #2
    Bromy2000

Bromy2000 On the path

I may be asking a dumb question:eek:

but i've done the above and i'm ready for the next step, but i'm not sure what that is, where do i go from here to code the car, do i have to read the ecu first, i'm afraid to use trial and error and screw the car up

3. 3 Apr 2011 at 7:38 PM #3
    M3Costa

M3Costa Wearing official underwear

Are there any guides to using NCS Expert? I have created the coding profile.

4. 3 Apr 2011 at 8:11 PM #4
    spuggets

spuggets Achieved official socks

I think there are instructions in the 'INPA / Ediabas / GT1 / NCS-Expert Thread' thread mate (not written by me) - sadly it's grown to quite a few pages so you'll need to scroll through...

As for screwing your car up, the only thing to remember is to make sure 'Job Type' is set to Codiern_Lesen and use it to copy the contents of modules before you change them, then you can always put it back if it goes wrong. I know that doesn't mean anything now, but hopefully it will once you've boned up on that thread :thumbsup:

5. 4 Jun 2011 at 8:10 AM #5
    rumoon

rumoon Achieved official socks

I failed :(

For one thing it wouldn't let me use a long filename like godfather, but did seem happy with god.

Then when I saved it, I ended up with no god profile but two expert profiles...

Can anyone help an idiot?

6. 4 Jun 2011 at 8:56 AM #6
    johnm

johnm Achieved official socks

As well as saving it with a different filename you've got to actually change the name of the profile in the profile info button.

Cheers
    JM

7. 4 Jun 2011 at 9:00 AM #7
    rumoon

rumoon Achieved official socks

Okay, sussed it; in order to give your profile a name you need to edit the profile, and then click on the 'Profile Info' button. This gives you a 'Profilename' section to type godfather (or whatever) in.

You can then save this with any filename you like (as long as it's short enough).

It seems it was only me that had trouble with this step, but (to me) it wasn't too clear in the otherwise fully comprehensive instructions :D

Edit - johnm comes to the rescue just as I was typing and testing my own :beer:

8. 4 Jun 2011 at 9:35 AM #8
    Doc

Doc Achieved official socks

I'm a tech mint so forgive me. What's all this for?

9. 8 Oct 2011 at 10:21 PM #9
    Fixedwheel

Fixedwheel A mere CHipper

I have the software up & running, the laptop connects to the car via Edibias diagnosis software fine but as soon as I try using NCS Expert and read the car it says VIN invalid? any ideas what I might need to do? Edibias is shut down before I open NCS expert :(

10. 8 Oct 2011 at 10:33 PM #10
    Rigsby

Rigsby Wearing official robes

Had this the other day when setting up another laptop, it turned out to be the C:\Ediadas\ECU folder was empty. Copied the contents of this folder from another laptop and it work ok after that. Seems that sometimes Ediabas/NCSExpert doesn't install correctly and folders like these are left empty for some reason. I would try installing again if you don't have access to someone else's working setup.

11. 15 May 2014 at 9:16 PM #11
    tonywalsh

tonywalsh On the path

GUYS I carnt see this option on my screen in ncs done the other edit changes and ideas?

6) Make sure under button 'Individualisierung' all options are crossed

12. 12 Apr 2015 at 4:23 PM #12
    PMed

PMed Achieved official socks

I don't see this option either. I think the info in this thread relates to an older version of NCS Expert. I'm using 4.0.1

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015