How is BMW Warranty valued on a CS

Discussion in 'M3 CSL / M3 GT and other Limited Editions' started by n1001, Mar 18, 2019.

1. 18 Mar 2019 at 11:37 PM #1
    n1001

n1001 On the path

Your Motor:
    2005 M3 CS
    I've had my CS now for 8.5 years, bought it at 39k, and its at 81k now. The former keeper had the BMW Insured Comprehensive warranty running from new, which I took over and have kept it up with the monthly payments. It continues until 100k miles, no time limit. It really is an excellent deal, including full european recovery, prioritised dealer bookings (48 hour turnround), courtesy car, and practically everything on the car is covered.

I've definitely had my money's worth from this. As anyone who has owned an E46 CS will know - keep it in pristine and in tip top condition and it will please you forever, but with the mid-life attention an E46/S54 can demand that can be costly...without warranty. Yes, you can go get an independent warranty, but on a 80k miles car it will likely be expensive and won't cover much at all.

I've seen a few CS's posted and changing hands for varying amounts over the past few months, but none appear to have the BMW Warranty running, just the "x" months warranty from the dealer for those that aren't being sold privately.

I'm thinking of selling and moving up to an M4 soon, so would like to get thoughts from recent and prospective buyers on how you value/would have valued having the option to inherit the original BMW Warranty knowing it is extendable out to 100k.

Appreciate your views...

Thanks

Neil

2. 26 Mar 2019 at 1:10 PM #2
    n1001

n1001 On the path

Your Motor:
    2005 M3 CS
    Any thoughts appreciated - is this something that would be valued over a limited warranty from a dealer, and to what extent ??

3. 5 Apr 2019 at 9:34 PM #3
    imp

imp Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M3 CSL
    Any M car sold with BMW insured warranty over any other normal warranty is a plus point.

New owner can transfer it over and great peace of mind for the big payouts.

If the spec is right and history then the warranty is always a bonus.

4. 6 Apr 2019 at 9:33 AM #4
    n1001

n1001 On the path

Your Motor:
    2005 M3 CS
    My thoughts entirely Imp, particularly important on any M to protect against the unexpected big ticket items than can catch you unawares. I’ve had a couple, the usuals.

Decided to go ahead with the sale and hoping the BMW warranty will be an attraction...

5. 6 Apr 2019 at 10:03 AM #5
    Chady

Chady Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    csl
    Colour Combo:
    Sg
    We all have our own views on insurance , 5000 miles per year ,, was it worth the cost of insurance, I’d imagine £1000 per year,, for something that isn’t used much ,, personally never bothered with extra cover on csl ,or bmw/ Indy service work, and never had a problem with bmw, regarding recalls or warranty,they even did boot floor, any paintwork etc, they simply looked at overall condition and all my bmwparts invoices , I just wondered if it’s really of any great value personally,, not sure if it adds that much value overall, would I pay more for your car personally NO. Your maths will confirm if it’s worth the extra on resale and what you get for it ,, would be interesting to know :think:

6. 6 Apr 2019 at 11:35 PM #6
    n1001

n1001 On the path

Your Motor:
    2005 M3 CS
    Your opinion, and I respect that, hence why I asked the question in the first place. Personally I think, I KNOW I've had my money back on the warranty, just in parts and labour alone, not to mention pure peace of mind knowing that I haven't got a surprise bill around the corner. If you've got cash put to one side for those surprises then fair enough, just don't pay the warranty cover and probably long term you may be quits or quids in, but not everyone is in that situation, so buying an M with anything other than minimal mileage I think the option of mitigating the risk is of value to a new buyer.

7. 15 Apr 2019 at 10:42 AM #7
    Rags

Rags Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    C63 PP, Z3M Coupe, e36 m3 evo
    I have had several M Cars and AMG’s that have been under 10 years old on manufacturers extended warranties - I believe that it is good value and peace of mind. When the cars are worth a lot more I think it’s worth it but as they get older the main dealer knowledge and interest in the product dissipates and you don’t get the service you want or need.

I am now running an MCoupe and an M3 CS without a warranty as they are both over 10 years old and using an Indy is much preferred.

In your circumstances, it will help with the resale value and you could argue it should add a premium to your car over the others.

There are several examples for sale at present with similar mileage and subject to the condition of yours being good, aim to price it above these given the warranty exists.

R

8. 15 Apr 2019 at 11:48 AM #8
    n1001

n1001 On the path

Your Motor:
    2005 M3 CS
    Agree with you Rags on the 10 year barrier, particularly on the economics if you're keeping the car, and as you say - for some, it will be of value when buying, but not for everyone. It was a tough call to make to keep the warranty running a few years back, since once you stop it you can't restart again. Glad I did in hindsight for some of the claims, albeit since I haven't been using it much the last 18 months it hasn't really been any return on the outlay...but it remains a transferrable option of value now I'm selling...

I've seen the others out there on the market, and comparing condition/mileage/history etc I think I'm priced about right, but it is very very quiet at the moment...I blame it on Brexit !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)