Hellrot BMW E36 318is Project.

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1991-1999) and E30 M3 (1986-1990)' started by jamesc2003, Apr 15, 2019.

1. 15 Apr 2019 at 11:58 PM #1
    jamesc2003

jamesc2003 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    BMW 318is
    Colour Combo:
    Hellrot/Cloth sport
    Hi guys!

Sorry it's not an m3...

I'd been looking around for ages for a well priced E36 M3 as I love the look of these cars!! But for me they are going for twice my budget. Still wanting something RWD with reasonable power the next best option was a 328i. I kept a look out for a smart one but everything seemed to be pretty beaten up, rusty or very expensive.

I was checking eBay back in November and a very tidy little 318is came up for sale with low mileage and in great condition will Hellrot red which was a colour I've always loved on the E36!

I fell in love straight away even though it had the smaller engine and a Automatic box...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My plans for the car after picking it up was to convert it to the spec I wanted. Sorry to all the purists out there that this might annoy as I will be changing the car! :oops:

I wanted to keep it original to BMW parts and I've always tried to keep my cars looking 'OEM+' sort of all in keeping with the original look and period. where possible but adding things that will freshen up the car and make it great to drive!

My first purchase was this; a purple tag steering rack to bring the steering speed up to something a little more modern and responsive.

[​IMG]

It was then onto the engine and gearbox. My immediate thought was to do the tried and tested 328i conversion. However I ran into the same dilemma I had with the cars, all the 328i engines I could find were either high mileage, ex-drift with cut looms etc etc or just expensive, even donor rusty 328's were expensive to me!

I decided to just watch the market and in the meantime I bought a M3 3.0ltr rear diff form a guy on here Parsley. After owning a e46 330ci its just the one thing that's missing in a non-M. I also bought the propshaft as I didn't want to be messing around changing the input flange after a lot of reading it seemed a little advanced for me and I didn't want to ruin it.

After a couple of months nothing was really coming up but I noticed E46 330ci prices were lower than E36's and I'd stumbled across a wiring loom adaptor for converting the M54B30 from the 330ci to the E36 loom. Mechanically the engine fits perfectly. It comes with a great ZF gearbox which mates right to the propshaft. I'd just need to mount and wire up the Fly by Wire throttle. EASY?

So I bought a little rusty E46 330ci!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mechanically sound and also comes with a nice brake upgrade! So far Progress wise I'm at the point where I've removed my M44B19 engine and automatic gearbox! Nice chap in the compact cup bought the engine as a spare as they use them!

[​IMG]

Will be pulling the 330ci apart at the end of the month!

Future plans will be to upgrade the wheels to 17" Style 24's
    Bilstein B12 kit
    E36 328i exhaust, engine mounts and shifter
    Clutch pedal!
    E34 Brake master cylinder machined down (E36 M3 MC for cheap!)

Drive it!:drive1:

Sorry if that was long-winded and erroneous :muttley: Writing things like this isn't my strong point but I've read so many good progress threads I fancied doing one myself!

Parsley, lambert and Kelvinator like this.
  2. 16 Apr 2019 at 12:49 AM #2
    NZM3AN

NZM3AN Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E36 M3 3.2/6MT
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril Blue/Lotus White/Contrast
    Naa, it's all good - great to see projects like this.

Can you not modify the 330 exhaust to fit?

3. 16 Apr 2019 at 1:24 AM #3
    Nunga

Nunga Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 M3 manual
    Colour Combo:
    Mystic Blue/Laser Anthrazit Stoff
    The car certainly is a looker in Hell Red! Good luck with the swap; I think it’ll be a nice weapon with the M54B30. It’s a shame the E46 is rusty because I think the one you bought is the dog’s ******** in silver with amber lighting.

4. 16 Apr 2019 at 2:14 AM #4
    MParallel

MParallel Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    1998 M3 SMG cabrio
    Colour Combo:
    Alpinweiss 3 auf Schwarz - 1 of 12
    Cool project!

jamesc2003 likes this.
  5. 16 Apr 2019 at 6:32 AM #5
    grdaniel

grdaniel Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 Monte Carlo
    Great project, should be fun doing it, and the finished product :cool:

jamesc2003 likes this.
  6. 16 Apr 2019 at 11:04 AM #6
    alexlex85

alexlex85 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 coupe manual. M3 EVO S54 coupe manual. E92 M3 DCT
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon black, Imola red. Atlantis Blue,Black extended leather.Alpine White, fox extended leather
    subscribed and excited to see the outcome

jamesc2003 likes this.
  7. 16 Apr 2019 at 1:46 PM #7
    lambert

lambert Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    Absolutely love a hellrot!

I’ll be glued to this project thread and fair play to you for making it happen.

Reminds me of my old red e36 328i sport I had many moons ago, it had wood trim and alpina wheels, this was the thing to do back then, sold it when she fell pregnant with our second child but damn I missed that car.

Look forward to seeing more.

All the best

Lambert

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  8. 16 Apr 2019 at 5:23 PM #8
    jamesc2003

jamesc2003 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    BMW 318is
    Colour Combo:
    Hellrot/Cloth sport
    Thanks mate! I don't think so no, it's possible with custom fabrication I should think but I'm trying to keep things like that to a minimum for cost and serviceability.

Thanks very much I do love the red too, I'll be looking to get it polished up nicely when it's all done! I agree the E46 does look nice even without the sports bumpers. It is a bit rusty and the MOT shows a few other things so it doesn't look economical to fix but that's perfect for me. Hopefully I'll be able to shift a few of the nice parts to some people in need!

Thanks mate! I was a little apprehensive of starting such a project after not working on cars for a few years but these E36's are brilliant to work on (so far.... *touches wood*)

I love the look of the alpina wheels, I'm weighing up getting some or the Style 24's or possibly Style 32's. I think its going to be a case of what I can find in the best condition for a good price at the time

Thanks for all the kind words guys! Hopefully I'll be back with some more updates soon :thumbsup:

Parsley and lambert like this.
  9. 16 Apr 2019 at 9:41 PM #9
    Parsley

Parsley Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E36 m3
    Colour Combo:
    Avus
    Going to be lovely mate, car looks real clean.

jamesc2003 likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)