GTS over GT4?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by toiletduck, Jul 30, 2021.

1. 30 Jul 2021 at 12:28 AM #1
    toiletduck

toiletduck Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    F80
    My yearly “should I buy a Porsche” has popped into my head.

I fundamentally want a road car not a track car since whatever I buy will mostly be used for hooning to the shops, drifting between roundabouts and weekend trips in the UK…

I very nearly bought a 981 GT4 a while back but couldn’t sign off on the value. My main gripe being that a GT4 needs the buckets for resale and actually I’m not sure I’d want buckets for a road car.

Enter 718 GTS…

Looking on the website you can even have vented seats now, plus the Burmeister sound system, plus the 4.0 engine with a manual box and some nice leather colour combos.

Is the new GTS actually a better road car in many ways than the GT4? (If you read the above and ignore the lack of the sexy body kit and rear wing…)

Obviously I’d be losing the back seats from the M4 but we have another car so it’s not like that’s the end of the world.

2. 30 Jul 2021 at 7:44 AM #2
    Termie

Termie Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    M3 F80 CP (67)
    Colour Combo:
    Tanzanite Blue / Black
    I'm not a Porsche owner, but your train of thought is in line with mine a while back... the GTS has previously appealed to me for the same reasons you outlined (more usability). The GT4 is a car to admire, but I don't think it is a car that would suit my usage... and I do like to use my cars. Personally, I also quite like the fact the GTS is a bit less shouty in the looks dept too. The only difference is I would be considering PDK instead of manual perhaps, whether GTS or GT4. If I wanted a Porsche sports car (so ignoring the SUVs etc.), the Cayman GTS appeals the most of all the Caymans and even the 911s (too big now).

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/rolling-sixes-porsche-cayman-gts-40-vs-hardcore-gt4

As it is, I decided not to go down the Porsche route... have you seen what the forum members who own one are like??? :D (just kidding)

I do understand why the questions keeps popping into your head though... happy pondering.

Scottyant likes this.
  3. 30 Jul 2021 at 8:12 AM #3
    Scottyant

Scottyant Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    GT4

I will sum it up like this currently owning one and driven the other . Practicality - GTS …… Everything else GT4 . GT4 makes you feel special it is a special car , I can’t stop looking at mine , I didn’t feel that with the GTS however as I’ve said before the GT4 is the type of car that will annoy you too with its front lip esp 718 the attention it gets , those buckets are a must IMO as they are part of the experience and very special BUT they are a pain in the ass to get out of . Once in they are as comfy as normal seats . I love mine but driving it once / twice a week is enough , that aside I did over 400 miles in it in one day a few weeks back and I felt fine after . The other thing to consider that not many do is how loud and raw the GT4 sounds in the cabin compared to the GTS , BIG difference .

For me the main difference was the handling /suspension, the GTS is softer and less aggressive in its set up but I guess it will be as the GT4 uses the GT3 set up . Turn in razor sharp , incredible grip and zero body roll . GTS is still a league above a M4 in the above but porsche have toned it down a few notches from the GT4 . I’ve had mine set up properly geo wise and adjustable rear links being fitted soon so believe me Duck it’s RAZOR sharp and the balance of either GTS or GT4 is perfect just perfect .

Performance is very similar , the only difference is the extra 30 bhp is noticeable from 6-8k below that I didn’t notice any difference.

Bottom line is you can spec and enjoy in relative comfort 85% what the GT4 gives you but without any of the aggro the GT4 brings with it , that aside if it’s a car to put a smile on your face , a car you can’t stop looking at and is a toy for occasional road trips / spirited drives / track their aren’t many batter than the GT4 . You can have so much fun in either without fear of loosing your license.

If your around West Country your welcome to experience mine set up properly .

You won’t go wrong with either …… They are both a Porsche :D

Redman likes this.
  4. 30 Jul 2021 at 8:15 AM #4
    Scottyant

What're you driving?:
    GT4

Will you kindly remove yourself from this section please ……. Porsche hater :D

Termie likes this.
  5. 30 Jul 2021 at 8:40 AM #5
    Termie

What're you driving?:
    M3 F80 CP (67)
    Colour Combo:
    Tanzanite Blue / Black
    I corrected that for you :D

Redman and Scottyant like this.
  6. 30 Jul 2021 at 8:43 AM #6
    Scottyant

What're you driving?:
    GT4

I thought my post was reasonable …… I pointed out Duck couldn’t go wrong with either as they are both a “Porsche “ :D

Termie likes this.
  7. 30 Jul 2021 at 8:48 AM #7
    toiletduck

What're you driving?:
    F80
    Thanks for this man.

I'm sure you're right and there's probably not much difference (considering there's extra boxes I'd tick on the GTS since they available) in actual cost it's just whether you want the extra tartiness??? Out of interest can you order new GT4s from Porsche (without a prior relationship) ?

8. 30 Jul 2021 at 8:53 AM #8
    Telsy

Telsy Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    981 GT4
    Colour Combo:
    GT Silver
    The 718 in any guise is a stunning machine, I think they look so good.

Unless you want to track it, I would think GTS with the 4.0 engine and either manual or PDK will be incredible. Also, I would consider the 18 way seats if more of a touring car, they are just so comfortable and incredibly supportive.

The GT4 (981 here) as @Scottyant says is very loud and noisy inside the cabin, doesn’t matter if the exhaust is set to sports or not, it’s just noisy in there! The lack of lift on the GT4 will cause problems with access and speed bumps, it sits low if set up aggressively and the 718 lip extends yet further than that of the 981.

All that said, the 718 is supposed to be much easier to live with as a daily than the 981, lighter clutch, quieter, lighter steering - but it’s still no pussy cat.

Either car is going to be very engaging and great fun to drive.

Scottyant likes this.
  9. 30 Jul 2021 at 9:01 AM #9
    Scottyant

What're you driving?:
    GT4

I think your main problem with either is the limited time left on 718 production added to the back log due to the dodgy batch of 4.0 engines having to be replaced in 100’s of cars . I’ve heard circa one year left of production, now how true that is I don’t know but it’s from a good source so I’ve no reason to disbelieve them .

@ScottyM4CP got his GT4 slot without prior purchases and I think another guy on here has just bought a black 718 GT4 but I’m not sure if he had prior history with the OPC . My advice is to commit to either buying one or not ASAP and try to get a slot for either before production run ends , maybe ring around a few OPC .

10. 30 Jul 2021 at 9:09 AM #10
    Scottyant

What're you driving?:
    GT4
    jsm, BobbyMac, Redman and 10 others like this.
  11. 30 Jul 2021 at 9:24 AM #11
    toiletduck

What're you driving?:
    F80
    Stone me that's a piece of work!

Scottyant likes this.
  12. 30 Jul 2021 at 9:27 AM #12
    Nick Kidd

Nick Kidd Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    2017 BMW M3 Competition, BMW G07 X7, BMW i3S, Sierra RS500, Vauxhall Firenza
    Colour Combo:
    White/Black
    That looks so so good! :shades: :thumbsup:

Is that the standard rear wing? or is it simply bigger uprights holding it up?

Scottyant likes this.
  13. 30 Jul 2021 at 9:46 AM #13
    Scottyant

What're you driving?:
    GT4

Hi Nick , thanks mate I really do think these GT4s 981 & 718 punch well above their price point . Here is a better pic of the rear wing … it’s the standard wing on RSNV wing risers that are absolutely superb quality, Ive set wing in track setting angle wise and also adjusted front aero to even it up as Porsche advise to only adjust both front and rear together .
    [​IMG]

grdaniel and Nick Kidd like this.
  14. 30 Jul 2021 at 9:48 AM #14
    Simundo

Simundo Standard amice donned

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 CS, E90 M3, 1M
    The GTS looks too ordinary for me considering the price. I'm sure for most its actually the better road car but the GT4 looks as good as it drives and sounds.

Scottyant likes this.
  15. 30 Jul 2021 at 9:58 AM #15
    Nick Kidd

Nick Kidd Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    2017 BMW M3 Competition, BMW G07 X7, BMW i3S, Sierra RS500, Vauxhall Firenza
    Colour Combo:
    White/Black
    That looks awesome, so much more presence than the standard wing. Very Very Nice! :drool:

Gives it an RS vibe. :thumbsup:

Scottyant likes this.
  16. 30 Jul 2021 at 10:07 AM #16
    Termie

What're you driving?:
    M3 F80 CP (67)
    Colour Combo:
    Tanzanite Blue / Black
    Depends if you want to get noticed. I am not someone that enjoys those high street "look at me" moments, so GTS looks appeal far more. Similarly, a GT3 Touring over a GT3 every day of the week (not that I can get either :rolleyes:). I just bought a GR Yaris and am enjoying the anonymity of it in comparison to even my M3 which doesn't have a wing reaching for the sky :D

But each to their own, and I agree the GT4 looks great, and the one @Scottyant has looks real menacing in black. But I live in Essex, and would find someone eating their chips off that wing on a Saturday night :D. If you want a car to use regularly, you don't always want people to be staring at you. If it is an occasional toy where you're down country roads or on track, none of that matters.

Either way, looks are very subjective, just putting across a different point of view.
    :beer:

ScottyM4CP and Scottyant like this.
  17. 30 Jul 2021 at 10:16 AM #17
    Scottyant

What're you driving?:
    GT4

Thankfully ….. I don’t live in Essex so when I drive down the road people assume I’m a true petrol head because I chose to own a complete “drivers car” rather than a 911 :D

Now do some work and stop being to demanding on your staff :muttley:

Termie likes this.
  18. 30 Jul 2021 at 10:28 AM #18
    Scottyant

What're you driving?:
    GT4
  19. 30 Jul 2021 at 11:11 AM #19
    Simundo

Simundo Standard amice donned

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 CS, E90 M3, 1M
    :muttley:

Termie likes this.
  20. 30 Jul 2021 at 12:19 PM #20
    toiletduck

What're you driving?:
    F80
    Think I need to try both ;-)

I do love the idea of a GT4 but it's that bit more conspicuous where a GTS you could easily have parked on the drive without attracting too much attention.

Termie and Scottyant like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)