• Total voters

Zee Germanz

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
M4 CS
Colour Combo
SMB
Just spoke with the OPC my deposit is with. He isn’t expecting to get an update from Porsche until January, possibly March next year.

Which roughly translates to - stop ******* phoning me!

The wait, which may come to nothing, is going to be agonising..

Yeah not ideal, but worth tempering expectations.

If I get an allocation, bonus; if not, there are other opportunities.

There’s a thread covering this topic on pistonheads which is worth keeping an eye on: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1954932

Edit: and another - https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts...-longer-will-porsche-make-any-718-models.html

Schmeel

Flexing a golden cincture
Reaction score
What're you driving?
997 Hartech
Colour Combo
Black / Black
Buy it, buy it!

I really can't mate. That will be on 45k by this time next year.

I guess there would be a very limited market for that sort of mileage, especially if .1 prices are lower next year.

Henry 145

Reaction score
What're you driving?
Beemers

I guess there would be a very limited market for that sort of mileage, especially if .1 prices are lower next year.

I get what you mean but I do think these being used as intended is almost better for the engine as does not sit and seize. However winter you will no doubt get the car you want in their traditional value lull

Telsy

Reaction score
What're you driving?
981 GT4
Colour Combo
GT Silver

Good, get it bought! Wasn’t the warranty on engines something like 120,000 miles? I don’t think it will be ruinous to buy a car with this spec and then run it to that sort of mileage. Just check running costs and if you are happy with that, it will still cost less to own in terms of depreciation than most exec saloons!

Morph7

Rocking a new hat
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Audi A3 family wagon
Colour Combo
White
Yeah not ideal, but worth tempering expectations.

If I get an allocation, bonus; if not, there are other opportunities.

There’s a thread covering this topic on pistonheads which is worth keeping an eye on: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1954932

Edit: and another - https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts...-longer-will-porsche-make-any-718-models.html

Yeah kinda feel the same about it tbh. At the very least it gives me chance to save up some cash that I otherwise wouldn’t have been able to, and see what the used market is like next year if an allocation doesn’t come through.

Thanks for the links. Some really interesting points there. Certainly on Pistonheads. Some of the waffle on Rennlist is tougher to get through!

jsd14

A mere Chipper
Reaction score
What're you driving?
M2 LCI 2017
Colour Combo
Mineral Grey
Yeah kinda feel the same about it tbh. At the very least it gives me chance to save up some cash that I otherwise wouldn’t have been able to, and see what the used market is like next year if an allocation doesn’t come through.

Thanks for the links. Some really interesting points there. Certainly on Pistonheads. Some of the waffle on Rennlist is tougher to get through!

I have been third on the list since the beginning of August but from that pistonheads thread seems like I am not alone!
If the GT4 production does stop I wonder if they will try to get the deposits into other cars?

Morph7

Rocking a new hat
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Audi A3 family wagon
Colour Combo
White
I have been third on the list since the beginning of August but from that pistonheads thread seems like I am not alone!
If the GT4 production does stop I wonder if they will try to get the deposits into other cars?

It’s something that had occurred to me too. I’d hope that having a deposit with them for a while for a car that didn’t materialise would count for something.

But then I can’t really think what other cars in the range they might be able to offer or would be comparable.

For me it would have to be a Cayman GT4 or Spyder. There’d be no chance of being offered a GT4 RS!

I love 911’s too, but they are a big step up price wise once you start speccing them up.

And I guess I kind of wanted to experience a bit of Porsche GT goodness.

So for me I think if the allocation doesn’t come off, I’d probably go for a used car which is fine, and see what they might be able to do about getting one through them.

What do you think you will do if an allocation doesn’t materialise?

Reactions: ADL

Schmeel

Reaction score
What're you driving?
997 Hartech
Colour Combo
Black / Black
I get what you mean but I do think these being used as intended is almost better for the engine as does not sit and seize. However winter you will no doubt get the car you want in their traditional value lull

This is true and I agree fully. A more used engine would drive better, be faster and sound better too!

Good, get it bought! Wasn’t the warranty on engines something like 120,000 miles? I don’t think it will be ruinous to buy a car with this spec and then run it to that sort of mileage. Just check running costs and if you are happy with that, it will still cost less to own in terms of depreciation than most exec saloons!

Fully agree mate, they are actually very reasonable to run as high frequency usage car (by comparison to say a mac)

I just think putting 10 to 15k on that car would leave me struggling to move it on, come sale time.

Whereas a nice 10 to 20k miler would suit me fine, and most likely still be within the parameters of a "desirable" car for others when they are looking to buy.

Lets see what happens new cars have been coming up sale this past week with ones currently/previous for sale dropping between 1k (opc) and 5k (random dealer).

Telsy

Reaction score
What're you driving?
981 GT4
Colour Combo
GT Silver
This is true and I agree fully. A more used engine would drive better, be faster and sound better too!

Fully agree mate, they are actually very reasonable to run as high frequency usage car (by comparison to say a mac)

I just think putting 10 to 15k on that car would leave me struggling to move it on, come sale time.

Whereas a nice 10 to 20k miler would suit me fine, and most likely still be within the parameters of a "desirable" car for others when they are looking to buy.

Lets see what happens new cars have been coming up sale this past week with ones currently/previous for sale dropping between 1k (opc) and 5k (random dealer).

Very sensible approach and valid points. What’s your expected term of ownership on this car?

Aquarius21

Rocking a new hat
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E46 M3 and a few other 'mid-life crisis toys'
Colour Combo
Titan/Imola

There is an argument here that the potential depreciation because of mileage may be a lot softer on a car purchased with higher miles as per the link above, assuming the price is right initially. If you pay a premium for a low mileage example and significantly increase the mileage you stand to lose a lot more than if you buy one with the miles already on it (I hope that makes sense).

The car in the link does look very well spec'd but the add is not the best and smacks of a garage that doesn't really know a great deal about what they have, no mention of what series engine it has, exhaust looks aftermarket (will be a problem if you want to go back under OPC warranty), folding buckets are nice as they are heated and are quite rare.

jsd14

A mere Chipper
Reaction score
What're you driving?
M2 LCI 2017
Colour Combo
Mineral Grey
It’s something that had occurred to me too. I’d hope that having a deposit with them for a while for a car that didn’t materialise would count for something.

But then I can’t really think what other cars in the range they might be able to offer or would be comparable.

For me it would have to be a Cayman GT4 or Spyder. There’d be no chance of being offered a GT4 RS!

I love 911’s too, but they are a big step up price wise once you start speccing them up.

And I guess I kind of wanted to experience a bit of Porsche GT goodness.

So for me I think if the allocation doesn’t come off, I’d probably go for a used car which is fine, and see what they might be able to do about getting one through them.

What do you think you will do if an allocation doesn’t materialise?

I would consider a GTS 4.0 but if the GT4 goes out of production I assume the GTS 4.0 will be the same? If after waiting nothing materialises I don't think I will make the same mistake again with a new 'GT Porsche'.
Luckily I have also have a deposit for a First Edition Emira V6 so I will drag that out to the last possible time I can cancel and get my deposit back if the GT4 dream has any chance of becoming reality!

Schmeel

Reaction score
What're you driving?
997 Hartech
Colour Combo
Black / Black
Very sensible approach and valid points. What’s your expected term of ownership on this car?

Usually I would say 4 to 5 years. Who knows bud.

Morph7

Rocking a new hat
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Audi A3 family wagon
Colour Combo
White
I would consider a GTS 4.0 but if the GT4 goes out of production I assume the GTS 4.0 will be the same? If after waiting nothing materialises I don't think I will make the same mistake again with a new 'GT Porsche'.
Luckily I have also have a deposit for a First Edition Emira V6 so I will drag that out to the last possible time I can cancel and get my deposit back if the GT4 dream has any chance of becoming reality!

It’s an interesting one. If the rumours are true I guess it might come down to the make up of the GT4 RS, the engine and what they are capable of building in tandem across the platform. I’m sure they’ll work it out to be the most profitable combination!

Smart move on the Emira. I love the look of them (and would also go launch edition V6). Expressed an interest and had a few chats with Bell and Colvill, but there’s no way I could get a deposit down against both.

I’m going to force Porsche to take my money one way or another now!

Zee Germanz

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
M4 CS
Colour Combo
SMB
It’s an interesting one. If the rumours are true I guess it might come down to the make up of the GT4 RS, the engine and what they are capable of building in tandem across the platform. I’m sure they’ll work it out to be the most profitable combination!

Smart move on the Emira. I love the look of them (and would also go launch edition V6). Expressed an interest and had a few chats with Bell and Colvill, but there’s no way I could get a deposit down against both.

I’m going to force Porsche to take my money one way or another now!

As an alternative, would you look at a pre-owned GT4 or perhaps another model?

Scottyant

Reaction score
What're you driving?
718 spyder
My GT4 is going very soon , so if anybody wants a bargain for a mega spec very low mileage example , over 2 years warranty etc … Similar cars at circa 92-96k in OPC . Will take £88k

PM me .

Telsy

Reaction score
What're you driving?
981 GT4
Colour Combo
GT Silver
My GT4 is going very soon , so if anybody wants a bargain for a mega spec very low mileage example , over 2 years warranty etc … Similar cars at circa 92-96k in OPC . Will take £88k

PM me .

Spyder?

Users who are viewing this thread