GT1 / DIS How-To

Discussion in 'BMW Diagnostic, programming and software discussion' started by zigzag sky, Mar 8, 2011.

1. 8 Mar 2011 at 10:03 AM #1
    zigzag sky

zigzag sky Wearing official robes

UPDATE: I WILL STOP MAINTAINING THE ONLINE STORAGE FOR THIS DOCUMENT FROM 1ST MARCH. IF ANYBODY ELSE WISHES TO HOST IT THEN YOU ARE WELCOME. AFTER 1ST MARCH IT WILL NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE IN IT'S PRESENT LOCATION. THANKS.

Hi All,

This is a document which shows the steps you need to take to get your GT1/DIS installation running under Windows XP Professional 32 Bit.

It has not been tested on later versions of Windows and will almost certainly not work under a 64bit OS.

Let me know if you spot any errors or have any info on how to get the software running under different versions of Windows.

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc9/9337/gt1-how-to-pdf-833k?da=y

Note that some of you may have problems if you are using a USB OBDII interface. This is due to some versions of the chipset and/or drivers not following the full USB -> RS232 protocols which results in a lack of or poor communication between the vehicle and the laptop.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. 8 Mar 2011 at 12:32 PM #2
    jamie123

jamie123 Achieved official socks

well done mate,very good instructions!

3. 8 Mar 2011 at 7:43 PM #3
    shane159

shane159 Achieved official socks Moderator

I'd just like to say a massive thank you to Brian for spending the time to create and put together this thread.

You've done a great job mate.:thumbsup:

4. 31 Mar 2011 at 11:38 AM #4
    M3Laith

M3Laith Achieved official socks

Legendary document! :thumbsup:

Not everyone will appreciate how hard it is to figure this out, but not only has it been solved, but it's been written up. Nice one!!!

5. 31 Mar 2011 at 12:52 PM #5
    zigzag sky

Thanks for the feedback.

I found it frustrating in the past trying to work out how the system should be set up as there seemed to be much conflicting advice on the net.

By and large I think that most problems are down to the fact that no two installations will ever be exactly the same due to the different hardware used by laptop manufacturers so small changes are often necessary (like selecting the network adapter in the config stage).

Hopefully this document will at least give new users an idea of where some slight changes need to be made and why.

6. 31 Mar 2011 at 3:37 PM #6
    jamie123

youve only got to look at all the threads over at bimmerforums to see its a nightmare,it took me a week to set it up on my laptop with long nights just reading!:thumbsup:

7. 31 Mar 2011 at 4:36 PM #7
    JackRabbit

JackRabbit On the path

Thanks for the hard work Brian. Always appreciated. :thumbsup:

8. 31 Mar 2011 at 6:50 PM #8
    zigzag sky

Too true. I spent quite a lot of time on the forum discussing issues with other members around 18 months ago. Very helpful bunch of people.

9. 31 Mar 2011 at 7:56 PM #9
    mjbchill

mjbchill Achieved official socks

Anyone fancy installing it on my laptop for me coz it doing my head in -.- ,, tonight will be attempt number 3 wish me luck !!!:confused:

10. 31 Mar 2011 at 8:14 PM #10
    jamie123

i will but you'll have to send it to me,happy to help:thumbsup:

11. 31 Mar 2011 at 8:32 PM #11
    mjbchill

mjbchill Achieved official socks

I may very well take you up on that Jamie :thumbsup:
    Most kind of you ,, PM me your addy and I'll go find a box!!

12. 1 Apr 2011 at 10:12 AM #12
    spuggets

spuggets Achieved official socks

This is an excellent write-up, thanks very much :thumbsup:

I followed it all through and it seems to work, but when I try communicating with my E36 DIS comes up saying it couldn't automatically detect the car type. I think there were some messages about the diaghead not having voltage too. I tried entering the car manually, but it just stopped responding once I selected a module to talk to.

Is this because I'm using a OBD2->OBD1 adaptor? I haven't been able to test GT1 with a OBD2 vehicle yet.

If so, does anyone know how/if we can use these tools to talk to OBD1 cars?

13. 1 Apr 2011 at 11:33 AM #13
    zigzag sky

In order to work properly with an E36 through the 20 pin port (which incidentally is not OBDI) you need to use an ADS interface - especially so if pin 15 of the 20 pin port is populated.

I can confirm that the software installation works perfectly with my 1999 M Roadster using the Miglenium ADS interface but other true ADS interfaces should work equally well. Another possibility is the you are using an USB based diagnostic lead. Because the software is patched to work with true serial ports (RS232) many USB based implementations don't handshake correctly. You may find it better to get a PCCard serial adapter which goes into the PCMCIA slot and get a serial interface based lead.

Let me know if you need anything clarified.

14. 1 Apr 2011 at 12:16 PM #14
    spuggets

spuggets Achieved official socks

*whoooosh!*

That was almost your entire post going over my head :)

I didn't know this, in what way is it not OBDI? I ask because I bought a OBDII -> OBDI adaptor and it fits! So is the physical plug OBDI but the implementation not OBDI spec? I'm curious.

I'm using M3Laith's lead which is USB. FWIW I can use this lead, with the adaptor, to talk to an E38 with NavCoder. This contributed to me believing my E36 had an OBDI connection. I haven't tried GT1 with the E38 yet.

I'll try talking to the E46 with my lead and GT1 to verify that my installation is working with the USB lead. That should start narrowing down where my problem lies.

Wassat??

Thanks for the response!

15. 3 Apr 2011 at 9:41 AM #15
    zigzag sky

The OBDI standard uses the 16 pin connector as part of the spec not the round 20 pin one. The 20 pin BMW connector give additional control and connectivity over and above the OBDI spec such as service light reset etc. Yes it follows much of the basic OBDI spec but it adds other functionality and requires different interfacing if it has pin 15 populated since this makes it an ADS interface and not OBD. Sp the physical connector you have is correct to fit, it's just that suppliers tend to mis-label it as OBDI so it's really just a technical point I'm making.

Also the iBus is not part of the OBD spec (either OBDI or OBDII). Yet it seems that some people have managed to use NavCoder. Now this is interesting as I always understood that the iBus does not appear on the OBDII connector. I also thought that cars with the 20 pin connector were those made earlier than when iBus was introduced.

Time for me to do a bit more digging around as you're not the first to mention the fact that people use NavCoder through the OBD connector yet the iBus is not listed as being available on the port.

As for getting your system working. Try getting the E46 to talk to INPA/EDIABAS first before you try and set up GT1. This is much easier to get working and you need it to work before you set up GT1. At least you will then know that the basic function of the lead is OK. Likewise for the 20 pin adapter you have. If you find that you cannot access many modules on a car through the 20 pin port using it you'll probably find pin 15 on the port is populated indicating that you need an ADS interface and not OBD.

16. 3 Apr 2011 at 2:53 PM #16
    johnm

johnm Achieved official socks

I've got a vague recall that the I-bus is available via the D-bus, with IKE acting as a bridge, certainly Navcoder can be told to use the I-bus via the D-bus. Having said that I haven't been able to get my Navcoder to talk via the OBD connector so I'll be interested in what you find. At the simplest level I guess you could just use the OBD-USB lead with an adaptor to connect direct to the I-bus at the normal CD changer access point, but it'd far more convenient to do away with the changer access point and stick with the obd connector for everything.

Cheers
    JM

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  17. 22 Jul 2015 at 4:54 PM #17
    GlebeCS

GlebeCS A mere CHipper

Hi, this link is dead, any chance of getting the guide from somewhere please?

Andy

18. 23 Aug 2015 at 10:23 AM #18
    Jaffacooki

Jaffacooki A mere CHipper

Any updates on this?

19. 12 Feb 2016 at 9:58 PM #19
    e36gav

e36gav On the path

Link Still not working. Pointless sticky until it gets fixed

20. 15 Feb 2016 at 10:38 AM #20
    zigzag sky

Sorry folks,

Having sold the M3 a couple of years ago I no longer visit M3 Cutters with any regularity and was unaware the link was broken.

Should be fixed now.