Golf Gti

stax

Flexing a golden cincture
Reaction score
What're you driving?
German & Italian
In particular a 2019 2ltr TCR with DSG.

Hunting my next car and until now I’ve only looked at M3/M4 (and the occasional 997).
This morning I’ve gone off piste and come across a very nice low mileage 2dr Golf as mentioned above.
I have absolutely no experience of VAG except my sons 64 plate 1.2 Polo which is a great car, good build quality and been very reliable for him.
After twenty years with BMW I’ve asked myself is it time for a change. So, anyone with knowledge of this age and model of Golf please chip in.

lemansblue

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2012 e92 M3 comp pack.
Colour Combo
A nice one
ive had limited stuff with vag stuff, but imo, nothing drives like a bmw. Cant say that for all the newer awd/fwd bmws though. The golfs are very capable cars though, and being a hatch, maybe a touch more practical.

RS4SMG

On the path
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E30 M3,E46M3 & E34 M5
The TCR and Clubsport are both very good cars. Slightly sharper than a Performance Pack GTI, and come with the VAQ diff, which is excellent. DSG on the MK7 is very good and much quicker than the MK5/MK6 and equally good around town or as a track weapon. The standard brakes are very good, even on track. As long as you find one with a good history and been looked after, in my experience they are very reliable. We have a Mk7 Ring toy that's DSG and it gets pounded around tracks lap after lap, with no fuss, minimal maintenance costs other frictional material that wear out. In summary, they're vey good cars and well worth a look. The Clubsport S is an absolute weapon, but they have gone crazy £££. You can make a Mk7 GTI a real B road weapon with the right set up if that's your thing. The Mk7 is pretty much the last of the good GTI's, the Mk8 drives nicely but it doesn't have the character a MK7 has nor does it feel as nimble. On the road, they're very reliable from my experience.

stax

Flexing a golden cincture
Reaction score
What're you driving?
German & Italian
ive had limited stuff with vag stuff, but imo, nothing drives like a bmw. Cant say that for all the newer awd/fwd bmws though. The golfs are very capable cars though, and being a hatch, maybe a touch more practical.

Thanks.
Apart from Mini, my e46 is the most modern car I’ve owned.
One e30, seven 36’s, two 39’s and three 46’s. They’ve all been 6 pots and RWD obviously. I’m a little worried I’ll be underwhelmed by a 4 cylinder and although the one I’ve mentioned is Awd, doubtful I’d find any interest in Fwd.
I know I can get test drives but worried I’d be sucked in by all the tech in modern cars and forget about the drivability if you will. Two months down the road I’d regret buying whatever it was.. been there before!

Guess I’m answering my own questions!:bh:

RS4SMG

On the path
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E30 M3,E46M3 & E34 M5
I have only ever raced BMWs or Golfs, both are very good in their own way. I very nearly bought a TCR instead of my previous daily. The only reason I didn't was because I need more leg room in the back for the kids. Its a different experience, to six pot RWD. The TCR Mk7 is FWD, Im assuming you're looking at a MK 7 2019 ?. Mk7s are pin sharp handling wise, the TCR I drove was very good through the twisties and ramped up to high figures with ease. Our track Mk7 can keep with most fast M stuff on track and its only running 280 ish BHP, they're no slouches, in terms of pace. Definitely drive one, everyone's driving expectations are different, so what works for me, may not work for you.:beer:

tony66

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
varies
only trouble spot is thermostat housings and waterpumps fail
weak standard clutches on manual cars
when getting haldex serviced[4wd] make sure they clean the filter on the pump

I have an apr stage 2 golf r just now[mk7] manual runs appx 420/420 on its high torque map
quick little thing for what it is

Tricky401

Achieved official socks
Reaction score
What're you driving?
M135
I test drove a Gti Tcr last year when I had my megane Rs and was looking for something abit more civilised but still fun to drive.

I just can’t get on with the dsg after driving bmws with the zf box. It seems so slow and lazy in comparison in my opinion.

I also drove a manual performance pack 7.5 gti and it was much more engaging to drive.

However getting back in the megane it was noisy, firm and handled so much better and just a fun car to drive. I do see how the golf would be much better as a daily, only in manual form for me though

The worst part of it all was the condition of the cars and the dealers themselves, all main dealer. The tcr had the rear bumper held on with silicone bathroom sealant

The megane has now departed as it was too much for for Mrs, so another bmw us inbound

To sum up, get a good test drive in both manual and dsg, finding a really good example could be difficult

Cygnet

Wearing official underwear
Reaction score
What're you driving?
1961 Riley 1.5
I drove six pot BMW for twelve years and then bought a Mk7 Golf R. I wasn’t too sure I’d done the right thing at first, I missed the sound and the looks of the BM’s. It obviously grew on me as I’ve had it five years now and won’t be changing any time soon. I love the way it drives, and the practicality of its size and the fact that it is a hatchback. It also has the most comfortable seat I’ve had in a car. If only I could have a car that was as easy to live with as the Golf but had the looks and sound of the E46 M3. I guess that’s why I’ve got both, and just drive one and just look at the other!

As said above, we all have different expectations so best to give the TCR a try and see what you think.

gavinsan

Underwear thermally upgraded
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Family wagon 2017 320i touring
Colour Combo
Blue / Black
Thanks.
Apart from Mini, my e46 is the most modern car I’ve owned.
One e30, seven 36’s, two 39’s and three 46’s. They’ve all been 6 pots and RWD obviously. I’m a little worried I’ll be underwhelmed by a 4 cylinder and although the one I’ve mentioned is Awd, doubtful I’d find any interest in Fwd.
I know I can get test drives but worried I’d be sucked in by all the tech in modern cars and forget about the drivability if you will. Two months down the road I’d regret buying whatever it was.. been there before!

Guess I’m answering my own questions!:bh:
100% you need to go e92 , the golf is a 4 cylinder washing machine !! I have had every mk golf 2through 6 and they are all good little hatch backs 2,5 & 6 are highlights but never will they match the noise and event of owning a V8 .

It is normal to look at loads of different options and there are so many performance car possibilities but if you have engine high on your priority list then swerve the Golf .

Che

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
R8 V10 Plus
Colour Combo
factory matte sepang blue
A friend went from an M2 to a GTi TCR and hes very happy with it, its been to Revo for some mods, HP, brakes, etc.. and its pushing 400bhp! Its a cracking car, worth test driving one for sure i'd say.

kevinm

A mere Chipper
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2020 M340i
I had an early mk7 GTI DSG performance pack for 3.5 years. I also recently sat passenger on a few ring laps in the same GTI and a mk7.5 R. I had a mk5 GTI ED30 previously. Mrs kevinm has a MY19 GTD.

The mk7 was way more refined than the mk5, but it was a supreme cruiser. Also the diff is very good, you can feel it pull the car towards the apex of a corner under power. The mk7 is an excellent daily driver.

That is the colour to get on them too as it's exclusive to the TCR. I'm a big fan of colours like that, where there is no doubting what model of car is coming towards you.

The MY19 cars are very well specced: Adaptive cruise control, lane assist, Dynamic light assist (where the car trims the high beams to suit, brilliant for night B road driving), keyless (5 door only), sat nav, carplay, reverse camera are all standard.

The gearbox is not bad at all imo. The newer 7 speeds are better than the older 6 speed units. They can be clunky starting off sometimes when moving off from auto-hold but you can drive around that. I give the accelerator a quick prod to release the brakes then apply power + smooth takeoff. They can sometimes get caught off guard and jerk you but it's rare. And the sharpness once on the move more than makes up for that.

tony66

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
varies
100% you need to go e92 , the golf is a 4 cylinder washing machine !! I have had every mk golf 2through 6 and they are all good little hatch backs 2,5 & 6 are highlights but never will they match the noise and event of owning a V8 .

It is normal to look at loads of different options and there are so many performance car possibilities but if you have engine high on your priority list then swerve the Golf .

I dont know why you would dismiss the golf mk7 -incredibly capable car,miles ahead of all the models before
arguably the easiest to use before all the digi/virtual touch stuff
Coming from a background of 6,8 and 12 cyl cars i still think it has something about it,once tweaked a bit anyway

Lofty

Reaction score
What're you driving?
GR Yaris
I was looking at those just last night as I need a 5 door. I almost bought a new one in 2019. Problem is they are now more second hand than I would have paid new, I know its just how it is at the moment but its hard to swallow. I had a Clubsport in 2017, very good cars. I’d probably buy a new Mk8 R or Clubsport if they were available.

tony66

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
varies
I was looking at those just last night as I need a 5 door. I almost bought a new one in 2019. Problem is they are now more second hand than I would have paid new, I know its just how it is at the moment but its hard to swallow. I had a Clubsport in 2017, very good cars. I’d probably buy a new Mk8 R or Clubsport if they were available.

Yes the golf r in particular has shot up in price,low mile clubsports are megga money too
strange as i thought after being a fairly cheap car new they would be well cheap
very very hard to get a non recorded/undamaged example too

gavinsan

Reaction score
What're you driving?
Colour Combo
Blue / Black
I dont know why you would dismiss the golf mk7 -incredibly capable car,miles ahead of all the models before
arguably the easiest to use before all the digi/virtual touch stuff
Coming from a background of 6,8 and 12 cyl cars i still think it has something about it,once tweaked a bit anyway
I agree it is a step forward in the evolution of the Golf GTI and a solid little hot hatch but i would recommend for driving trills the civic type r is a much better option.

If you re read the OP's post he specifically says "worried i will be a little underwhelmed by a 4 cylinder " this resonated with me and my experience having had an array of cars the audi S3 , Golf GTI's , Civic Type R all had a disappointing engine and for me were a let down compared to even the turbo charged M4'S AND 2 i had which were not a patch on the 991 GTS and even the integra type r for sonorous pleasure .

Therefore i felt based on his posts and info there would be a good chance he may be disappointed with the Golf and would be better suited to an E 92 M3 that he is also considering

Not dissing the Mighty Golf :peace:

tony66

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
varies
I agree it is a step forward in the evolution of the Golf GTI and a solid little hot hatch but i would recommend for driving trills the civic type r is a much better option.

If you re read the OP's post he specifically says "worried i will be a little underwhelmed by a 4 cylinder " this resonated with me and my experience having had an array of cars the audi S3 , Golf GTI's , Civic Type R all had a disappointing engine and for me were a let down compared to even the turbo charged M4'S AND 2 i had which were not a patch on the 991 GTS and even the integra type r for sonorous pleasure .

Therefore i felt based on his posts and info there would be a good chance he may be disappointed with the Golf and would be better suited to an E 92 M3 that he is also considering

Not dissing the Mighty Golf :peace:

yup-cant beat the sound and feeling of a 5-12 cyl-but big tax for most of them and have you seen the price of jungle juice atm lol

AsifM

Wearing official robes
Reaction score
What're you driving?
C63 + Golf GTI
I ran my 500bhp C63 alongside my MK5 golf GTI for many years and when driving the golf didn’t feel like it was lacking at all.

Actually it felt nicer to drive quite often.
Obv 2 different cars but the gti is an excellent daily and the TCR is the ultimate GTI bar the club sport S.

It’s basically a golf gti with the engine from a golf r, front diff and some aero. Look for a car with DCC ( dynamic chassis control ) and Pretoria wheels.

gavinsan

Reaction score
What're you driving?
Colour Combo
Blue / Black
yup-cant beat the sound and feeling of a 5-12 cyl-but big tax for most of them and have you seen the price of jungle juice atm lol
Yes the road tax is spiteful and petrol is likely continuing to go one way !!

We should have proposed at COP26 all the petrol heads around the world to give up meat and in return allow us to continue our passion for ICE cars beyond 2030

Yanto

Reaction score
What're you driving?
2003 M3 CSL / 2021 GTi Clubsport
Colour Combo
Silver Grey / Rephlex Silver
You’re right sticking with 7/7.5.

Had my 8 Clubsport since April and electrics / infotainment have been very much sub par. Regularly throws up faults. These are all quite widely reported. I know a couple of owners reject cars as a result. Shame really.

Users who are viewing this thread