Gabs94 - M3 e36 Estoril Blue

Discussion in 'Welcome & New Owners Section' started by Gabs94, Jan 11, 2020.

1. 12 Jan 2020 at 9:26 PM #21
    MandyM3

MandyM3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril blue, champagne nappa leather
    Your sedan looks good too - and I love the little model of it in the third pic - I wish I could get one of my car.
    My ex-M3 the E36 was bought by a friend at work's husband, and I go past their house on my way to work, so I can keep an eye out to make sure he's looking after it properly :)

Gabs94 likes this.
  2. 12 Jan 2020 at 9:39 PM #22
    Gabs94

Gabs94 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    That's the best. Wish I could get a peak of mine from time to time.
    I like the English's attitude towards cars. It's like it's a good thing to like fast cars on your island. Here, if you've got a fast and expensive car you're stupid, if you've got an old car like mine, you're some kind of gipsy, if you've got a convertible you're gay, and if you've got a small inexpensive car you're broke... People just won't stop judging. Therefore, passionate people rarely get their cars out :/

MandyM3 likes this.
  3. 12 Jan 2020 at 10:02 PM #23
    GolfDuck

GolfDuck Staff Member Moderator

Your Motor:
    Carless & witless
    Yes, but they drive Renaults and Peugeots and Citroens :D

Gabs94 likes this.
  4. 12 Jan 2020 at 10:06 PM #24
    Gabs94

Gabs94 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    :muttley:

GolfDuck likes this.
  5. 13 Jan 2020 at 2:16 AM #25
    Galfern

Galfern On the path

Your Motor:
    2005 m3 convertible smg, 2006 citroen c1 diesel
    Colour Combo:
    Silver body, silver hardtop,black leather
    Some nice cars there. I was living in france for a couple of years seconded to SNCF for my training to eventually work for the then new company eurotunnel (1994 and showing my age!). My daily driver then was an E30 325 convertible, and the top was used then! I eventually came back to the uk and bought an E36 year 2000 model(last of them). It was a 328 convertible auto msport individual. The same purple colour in the above photos, though I cant remember the official name of the colour. Not a true M car but my favourite bmw that Ive owned. Still got some photos somewhere, maybe I'll check the numberplate on dvlc to see if it still exists. Best of luck with your rebuild.(and I'll add I'm not gay, a hairdresser or a gypsy lol)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Gabs94 and MandyM3 like this.
  6. 13 Jan 2020 at 8:33 PM #26
    Gabs94

Gabs94 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    I do also like E30s. Never got to drive one though. Prices... When I got my driving license 5 years ago, e36 M3s were really cheap. Could't buy one though because insurance premiums were too high. Bought an 91 mini cooper. Great car, flawless reliability lol ! Then M3s were too expensive, they had doubled in prices. So I looked at E30s, and by the time I could find a decent 318is, they had become too expensive as well... So bought an SLK for cheap, restored it a bit, then sold it to my dad, and bought my first M3.

About your 328i, later e36s, especially 328is is the UK were very very well specced. I'm actually making a big post about all e36 colours on my french forum, and most individual colours I found on very nice E36 328is's in Great Britain. They even often have the rare OEM BBSs on them, which even on an M3 is very rare. I wish I got had gotten my hands on a decent one several years ago. Would make for the perfect daily driver.

All in all, I was born 5 years too late. Otherwise I'd be driving E28s E30s etc. Still like the e36 though. Maybe even more. But I regret having missed that opportunity to test drive these first real M cars...

Edit : coulour is Techno Violett Metallic

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  7. 14 Jan 2020 at 3:37 PM #27
    Galfern

Galfern On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    My first bmw was an 02, then an E28 518.....not fuel injected and nothing but fuelling problems. A few E30's and all had viscous coupling problems in those days. My 325 when living in Paris was battered black and blue by French drivers. In Paris, if u dont see a parking spot, u make one! In those days, a car was just transportation and every car had bumpers in all sorts of shapes. But the wine was good! Modern cars are much more reliable but just so expensive to fix. My daily is a 15 year old citroen c1 diesel, and gets parked anywhere, doors unlocked and not a scratch...worry free motoring. My bmw parked in an empty spot, as far away from the supmarket entrance as possible. But on my return, surrounded by cars and me nervously checking for scratches and dents! Ive driven through cherbourg a few times on my way to the Vendee for my holidays, some great driving roads. With the occasional very high speed dash down the toll roads, but are now sadly heavily police enforced for speeders. Now i pull over into a local "aire" so i can get my journey time increased so that my average time is reduced when checked at the toll booths! The good old days. Happy motoring.

Gabs94 likes this.
  8. 16 Jan 2020 at 8:54 AM #28
    Gabs94

Gabs94 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    5I believe the 518 had the same engine as the e30 318, an M10 with a Pierburg carburetor ? At least on the e30, these are very badly renowned. I would hav liked a 318i M10, as a turbo conversion would have been in order. But I do definitly lack the skills to do such a job. Especially if one wants to do it properly. Anyhow, as a Frenchman, I'll tell you I hate Paris. Beautiful buildings, history and all, but very very dirty, dangerous, and oppressive. I'm from the countryside, and do not enjoy big cities. Plus, cars from before 1997 are banned there, and my M3 is a 1996 soooo... I wouldn't have taken it into Paris anyhow lol !
    About that supermarket thing, everybody experiences the same thing. I've found that the best idea is simply to park in the end on a line if possible, and be the closest to the curb you can, as to make the biggest amount of space next to your car. In terms of worry free motoring I do drive a small citroen too, a 1.1i saxo that my grandmother left us a few years back. Very practical and I don't mind people putting their dirty feets everywhere in it... Still cant stop cleaning it anyway lol !
    I've become paranoid of cops in France checking for speed. This has resulted into two things. If and when I traveled with the M3, either I'd take very small roads (departementales and communales, but not nationales) and occasionally would drive fast on these, either I take bigger roads (voies rapides et autoroutes) and tried to drive eco friendlyly lol ! I did achieve more that 35 MPG with my 220 000 miles sedan at approximately 70mph. That car, if driven properly, is very economical.

9. 16 Jan 2020 at 9:21 AM #29
    Galfern

Galfern On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    What is the french forum you are on? Might be interesting to compare to the uk site. My french a little rusty but I'm sure it'll come back quite quickly. Maybe pick up a rust free E28 528 left hand drive left hand drive cheap. I wish lol.

Gabs94 likes this.
  10. 16 Jan 2020 at 10:15 AM #30
    Gabs94

Gabs94 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    Forum is called MPassion, https://forum.motorsport-passion.com/topic/48167-le-topic-des-couleurs-votons/#comments , here is the thread about colours I was talking about. A 528 e28 will set you back at least 7/8000 pounds if you are looking for a good one. Could be more, this was 2 years ago...

Galfern likes this.
  11. 16 Jan 2020 at 11:13 AM #31
    Galfern

Galfern On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Merci! So no bargains to be had in france without looking very hard

Gabs94 likes this.
  12. 16 Jan 2020 at 2:26 PM #32
    Gabs94

Gabs94 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    None, overall, cars are much cheaper in GB than in France. Between 1/3 and 2/3ds of the price I'd say. Depending on makes and models of course. But for instance, a nice 650i in the UK is around 6/8 000 £ I believe, however, here it'll set you back 18 000€ approximately. Many reasons, but you can see that alot of fellow froggies go to your country to buy extra cheap cars, if they don't care about RHD, and if they want cheap but not immensily cheaper cars, they'll go to Germany, Spain or Italy.
    5/6 years ago there still was a few bargains for older cars, now, everything remotly old has become priced like hell. I remember when 205 Gtis were 500€... Some now sell north of 20 000 !

13. 16 Jan 2020 at 2:48 PM #33
    Galfern

Galfern On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    I have some Polish friends, they say buying cheap and cheerful cars around £500 tp £1k in the uk is easy compared to Poland. They are thinking of buying here and selling in Poland. Money to be made for someone lol.

Gabs94 likes this.
  14. 22 Jan 2020 at 2:46 PM #34

601404528 Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    E30 M3 and E90 M3
    very nice indeed

Gabs94 likes this.
  15. 22 Jan 2020 at 2:56 PM #35
    Galfern

Galfern On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Whilst uk is still in europe..........I wonder how much bmw are going to charge for cars and spare parts now that this idiotic goverment have decided to have brexit and leave the european union. I better stop there as this is not a political site and everyone entitled to their own views. I like europe and german cars. Not a lover of allegros, morris marinas or even british built nissan micras!

Gabs94 likes this.
  16. 26 Jan 2020 at 2:28 PM #36
    IanB

IanB Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2005 M3 CS Interlagos
    Colour Combo:
    Manual
    Really like e36s, especially the 4dr saloons, I think the shape of both look so much better without the rear spoiler.

Gabs94 likes this.
  17. 26 Jan 2020 at 5:10 PM #37
    L33 LEG

L33 LEG Rocking a new hat

Your Motor:
    1997 M3 Evo Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Techno violet/Black
    Can't beat an E36 :D love the look of your new estoril one, the ACS wheels are my favourite. It's a shame I wanted mine to be standard because I'd love a set of them for my techno.

Good luck with the engine rebuild, definetly a car worth spending money on because they're getting rarer each year now and when you do see one on the roads they stand out. Seeing this is making me want to get mine out the garage.

I'll have a look at the French forum now to see how they look over there.

Gabs94 likes this.
  18. 26 Jan 2020 at 10:59 PM #38
    Gabs94

Gabs94 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    Thank you very much !

I don't think the biggest impact on car pieces will come from Brexit. But rather BMW in of themselves. For instance, prices of some pieces here have become quite ridiculous.
    I was looking for an E36 crankshaft, and they're 3000 pounds new from BMW eventhough they've still got 200 of them in stock. Front control arms have doubled in price for some reason etc. All in all, the biggest fluctuations in prices for E36 parts comes from BMW themselves and not taxes or fees etc. And it's not because you're not in the EU anymore that your country can't have very good trade deals... South Corea is one of the biggest car exporter in the world, and it's not part of any special economic union. Though I don't want to start a political debate, let's just say that the devil is in the detail, and that BMW will still want to sell car pieces to Britons, so I'd say not to worry too much about that.

I do like the sedans, I think there are some angles that suit them well, but to be fair, at the end of the day I'd still drive the coupe home. That's why I sold the sedan.
    Spoiler wise I partly agree. I'll keep mine as it is, unless I decide to track it alot more, then I'll go for the GT Spoiler with Motorsports highteners. I think the GT wing looks phenomenal. But I've always loved the sort of unassumed look of stock M3 e36's. And I like discretion as well so we'll see.

No, you really can't. Eventhough I dig E34s and E28s as well. E9s too... Well let's just say older BMW's :)
    Not personally fond of the Schnitzer. I have some BBS RK001s in stock for my coupe. I'll try them on to see what I think of them. I prefere 17's on my car so the brakes can fill up entirely the wheel ^^
    About the engine rebuild, I'll keep you lot in touch about what i discover on tuesday. Taking my day off to go see the mechanic and the expert to have a look at the engine that's been taken out. We had seen there was 18 degrees of advance on the timing, but we want to look at the state the crank is in.
    During Christmas I purchased a used 3.2 block that was dissassembled, with a clean crank and almost every part. If the crank in the original engine is salvageable, I'll have the other engine rebuild with stock internals, to run on the car during the time of the procedure with the seller. If the crank is not salvageable, I'll have the used engine completly rebuilt with forged internals and the lot.
    Since the accident, I've had to drive my saxo everyday, and I can tell you once I get the M3 back I'll be driving it every other day. Can't wait !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)