Front speaker help - Focals too Deep - alternatives?

Discussion in 'Carphonics' started by MrHooky, May 3, 2020.

1. 3 May 2020 at 11:50 AM #1
    MrHooky

MrHooky A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    E61 535d
    So recently decided to have AMP upgraded courtesy of Baris (great service and brings car into modern world with Bluetooth steaming!)

I have a non HK car and have upgraded the rear parcel shelf speakers to Focal 165AC co-axial (they sound great).

I've then re-wired the front doors with Focal AS165 two-way, replacing the mid and tweeter. The problem is the mid speaker is too deep, the door panel only just about clips back into place but the sound is terrible compared to the rear 165ACs. I'm assuming I need a shallower mid/bass speaker as i think the rear magnet is jammed up against the metal door panel and can't work as effectively (would this be the case!?). Also looking underneath the door trim, it looks as though the retaining clips are about to pop off, which I don't like the idea of - feels like something is about to break!

So my question is what are my alternatives for the front mid that give good sounds? Keen to retain the crossover and Focal tweeter (as I've glued both in place) but ideally want to replace the mid with something that gives some punch and yet fits comfortably. Audison and JL look to do some shallow speakers but wondered if anyone else has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

2. 3 May 2020 at 12:06 PM #2
    MrHooky

MrHooky A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    E61 535d
    The Focal ISU165 look like a decent option in terms of depth. Not sure where the ISU sits in the 'range' compared to the ACs, the cone doesn't look as snazzy.

Would still like to hear peoples thoughts...

3. 4 May 2020 at 10:18 AM #3
    M3 Matt

M3 Matt Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    1997 M3 Evolution Convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril blue, white leather
    I am using MB Quart 165s (BMW fitment) in my 330ci daily and they fit perfectly, and sound great. I have also sound deadened my door cards which made a huge improvement.

4. 4 May 2020 at 12:21 PM #4
    MrHooky

MrHooky A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    E61 535d
    Thanks - just had a look at the MB Quart - they look decent. Wish I'd have known about them prior to ordering the Focals! Presumably you fitted the 4ohm (I think they also do a 3 ohm speaker).

Waiting a price back on the ISU165s by Focal to then sell on the full 165AS kit, although MB Quart woofer is a good fallback option.

5. 4 May 2020 at 1:39 PM #5
    michealewk

michealewk Wearing official robes

What're you driving?:
    m3
    I have a set of polk mommos in my front doors on the e46 had no problems fitting

6. 4 May 2020 at 1:57 PM #6
    M3 Matt

M3 Matt Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    1997 M3 Evolution Convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril blue, white leather
    Yep, mine are the 4 ohm units. I ran them from the stock HK amplifier with no issues. Although the HK amplifier really does them no favors. I have since removed the HK amp and replaced it with my trusty Genesis Series III 5 channel amp and they sound much cleaner.

I like the power handling of the MBs, they can handle delicate, complicated tracks with ease, but also crank when needed, good all rounders.

I must stress, the door card is the weakest link. For the cost of £50, get some Dodo Mat or similar sound deadening and firm up the card it will make a massive difference, even with stock speakers.

7. 10 May 2020 at 9:57 AM #7
    MrHooky

MrHooky A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    E61 535d
    Yup have already sound deadened the back of the door cards which has helped. Have just fitted the ISU165 speakers which I'm fairly happy with. I think the stock amp is still the weak link so considering getting a separate amp to power the front speakers independently. At least the Focal ISUs are a nice fit and I've managed to get the door cards back on!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)