Forged Internals on N/A?

Discussion in 'Engine maintenance, upgrades and modifications' started by Bubblegunz, May 9, 2016.

1. 9 May 2016 at 8:46 AM #1
    Bubblegunz

Bubblegunz Banned

What're you driving?:
    2003 BMW e46 M3
    Hi Guys, I am new to the engine rebuild scene and I have some questions. It has recently hit me in the head to rebuild my engine with WOssner pistons, ZRP rods and ARP bolt and increase the rpm to 8.5k. A set of Catcams 288/280 and decatted midpipe + backbox. My issue is, do I need a rebuild if I am going N/A? I will never boost the S54, it is just not my thing, but I do want to find its limits on a road-going vehicle. So here is what my concerns are.

- My engine is going strong at 160k km (about 100k miles) no oil leeks, no excess vibration, the map on the engine is not right (I am not in the UK) and sometimes I can feel it not operating at its highest, but still, no physical evidence of any extreme wear. So what will I really get from a rebuild on an engine which quiet frankly, does not need one? Which leads me to my next concerns:

- What will a rebuild with forged internals do for an N/A engine? It will probably rev faster, but the truth is the OEM rods and pistons are pretty freaking light and pretty strong, so will there be any noticable difference?

- What power can I expect? Is 400 HP unrealistic? Will I need titanium rods to get there, or Arrow Precision ones for which I will need to sell my organs or start selling drugs for that matter?

- I am currently removing the filter system which feeds exhaust air back into the engine and my car is getting decated, 63mm dual pipes and a new backbox as we speak (I do not live in the UK so I can do that hehe), so if I get +15-20 bhp (370) how much more can I expect from a rebuild?

- Leaving the horsepower away, what are the benefits? Will the car FEEL 10x better, in terms of the engine pulling better across the powerband? Is it a worthwile thing to do at all on an N/A s54?

- Will increasing the rev limiter ot 8.5k be fine? And if yes, can I expect more than 400 hp?

- What would anyone who has a tuned s54 suggest? Should I just get an Airbox, De-strain my exhaust (which I already am doing) and focus on lowering the weight or does touching the engine make the car better, not just in terms of BHP, but also feel.

- Has anyone used Catcams? They are a lot cheaper then SCHRICK, because I will not need to change the rockers, and they supposedly provide camshafts for some rally teams, but I have not heard of them much before, so any ideas?

The car is a daily, mind you, and it gets an occassional track day or hill-climb day.

What are my goals? I want to build a better car from the e46 than the 997 GT3 (sounds weird, I know) and I want a very unique car, that just feels a lot better then the stock M3. Think of it as a M3 CSR (the fun/manual CSL).

Well, achieving my goals in terms of the car -what have I done so far?

- Diff rebuild
    - OS GIKEN 100% Locking mechanism
    - GAZ GOLD Suspension
    - Dunlop Direzza Tires
    - Lightweight Bootlid
    - Lightweight Foldable Seats
    - Swapped all the different mounts/bushings.
    - Carbon Fiber front fenders.

Future plans:

- Total loss of over 180kg from swapping different bits

SO all over all, what do you think? Should I do this? Has anyone done this here who can help tell me the benefits and cons of doing a rebuild. Any suggestions, opinions are welcome.

2. 21 May 2016 at 7:32 AM #2
    sash87

sash87 Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2018 F80 M3 CP
    Colour Combo:
    SMB / Black
    Horsepower is Torque * RPM / 5252

So if you make the same torque at 8,500 as 8,100 you'll get an extra 5%

But given torque decreases from about 6,000ish RPM and peak Horsepower is at 7,900 (I think) then you won't end up with any extra peak HP from raising RPM.

3. 22 May 2016 at 10:01 AM #3
    matty872

matty872 Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    '54 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey/Red
    Do cat cams do s54 cams as they don't list them? Im using pure performance rods and forged pistons in my engine build.

4. 1 Jun 2016 at 6:54 AM #4
    Bubblegunz

Bubblegunz Banned

What're you driving?:
    2003 BMW e46 M3
    They do, actually there is a company in holland called Hardemann Motorsport who sell the catcams for the S54... great guys, might be worth sending them a mail :)

5. 21 Aug 2016 at 11:06 PM #5
    gav85

gav85 Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    08 Bmw M3
    Colour Combo:
    white / black/ blue
    ever thought about the stroker kit taking it to a 3.4 or 3.5 something am toying with not cheap but maybe a good way to go

6. 21 Aug 2016 at 11:57 PM #6
    E46CoupeM3

E46CoupeM3 Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2001 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    Strokers are under more stress at the same RPM / don't tend to rev as high or as easily (inertia on rotating mass)

Additionally they tend to make less torque per cc than over square engines of the same size with a shorter stroke

7. 22 Aug 2016 at 12:07 AM #7
    alpina527

alpina527 Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    Dct M4 Coupe
    If you are raising your rev limit to 8,500, I'd be looking to uprate the valve train first

8. 9 Sep 2020 at 12:10 PM #8
    Jorge Pereira

Jorge Pereira Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    2002 e46 M3
    Major thread revive...

I was searching the inter web for S54 rebuilds and forged interiors, and this came up.

Any news on this build? Major interest on the OS GIKEN diff. Is it a plug and okay solution for the M3?

9. 9 Sep 2020 at 12:35 PM #9
    ksa74f

ksa74f Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2006 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon black / Black
    Pretty sure the OP is the guy from Streamline called Antony iirc.

10. 9 Sep 2020 at 4:20 PM #10
    Jorge Pereira

What're you driving?:
    2002 e46 M3
    Don’t know about Streamline.

About the diff, any feedback?

11. 13 Sep 2020 at 4:47 PM #11
    DaveMSport

DaveMSport Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 Individual, E36 M3 track car, Landrover Defender E53 X5, E38 730, E30 318is, E30 Mtec touring
    Colour Combo:
    Techno Violet/silver gray
    Yup, that was Anton from streamline

The diff is just a refreshed standard E46 M3 gkn unit afaik.

12. 13 Sep 2020 at 4:54 PM #12
    Jorge Pereira

What're you driving?:
    2002 e46 M3
    I have a GKN unit that was in my car but it’s now on my floor. I have a more standard unit now.

Is the GKN superior in any way?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)