FOR SALE: Custom rearview Mirror gauge - BOOST & AFR. Auto-dimming

Discussion in 'MirrorJohn' started by MirrorJohn, Jun 11, 2020.

1. 11 Jun 2020 at 5:11 PM #1
    MirrorJohn

MirrorJohn Sponsor

What're you driving?:
    BMW 2005 Estoril E46 M3 Coupe, Audi B7 RS4 Avant, Honda S2000 GT, Honda CBR600RR
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril / Schwartz
    I have supplied quite a few of these custom mirror gauges now to Charged M3 owners around the world. Essentially it is an oval OE E46 M3 / E39 M5 auto-dim rearview mirror containing inside AEM Boost & AEM AFR displays so that you can view live Boost readings and Air-fuel ratio on the move at eye level. Other gauges can be supplied and fitted and also other rearview mirrors can have gauges fitted (other than the E46 M3 / M5 oval mirror). I will for now focus on the tried and tested AEM setup; as they are easy to read at a glance, reliable, accurate and the display part can be fitted inside the rearview mirror (space is limited inside with the OE mirror electronics).

I start with a used genuine OE E46 M3 / E39 M5 / Z4M Oval auto-dim rearview mirror. I then fit AEM boost gauge display and AEM AFR display in to the mirror body. The AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) display comes with a wide band lambda sensor that you put in your exhaust for highly accurate live readings. You need to get a threaded nut welded in to your exhaust for this sensor* If you are still running Cats, this needs to be fitted prior to all Catalysts (closest to engine). The Boost gauge is fed off the AEM boost sensor (supplied) which you connect to boost vacuum line via a T-piece. I use a special proprietary two-way mirror glass that allows the light from the gauges to shine through from behind the glass. However, you cannot see past the glass inside the mirror body. This means that when the car is turned off and the gauge displays are powered down you cannot even tell that they are there. Just looks like a completely standard E46 M3 oval mirror, very stealth indeed! My special two way glass even auto-dims as standard, so the standard dimming functionality is retained. Being displays in the mirror, they are at perfect eye-line so very easy to glance at and check that your AFR is healthy (not running lean) and you are not over / under boosting. This means you don't need to take your eyes off the road as much when you are on full throttle (compared to looking down towards the dash for example). This is a massive safety benefit.

I buy in the AEM Boost gauge setup and AEM AFR setup + Wideband lambda. The OE oval mirror is then disassembled and modified internally. AEM gauges are disassembled and the display part of the gauge is un-wired and removed from the gauge housing. The AEM LED displays are then housed inside the mirror and the special two-way auto-dim glass fitted in front of them. All display wiring is run out through the mirror via a ribbon cable. You run this ribbon cable up in to the headlining and down the A pillar. This ribbon cable connects in to the original AEM gauge bodies (which contain the electronics). You can hide these gauge bodies behind the dash. You plug the Boost sensor and wideband lambda sensor in to the (labelled) gauge bodies which then transmit their signals to the mirror displays via the ribbon cable. Unlike OBD port based gauge solutions; as this setup uses the excellent reliable independent AEM Boost/AFR gauges: the results are instant and in complete real time. There is no delay or lag to the readings.

With a Charged car, monitoring AFR and boost is essential for the health of your engine. It can allow you to spot a potential issue before your engine is destroyed causing thousands of pounds worth of damage*

Prices vary depending on the gauges used and the rearview mirror they are being fitted in to. However, pricing up this popular AEM Boost/AFR setup discussed for the E46 M3 / E39 M5 Rearview mirror:

Cost of the complete setup including AEM gauges, wideband lambda/boost sensor, special two way auto-dim glass and labour for building the complete custom mirror gauge is £895.00. I charge an additional £100 for the oval M3 mirror itself. If you send me your original mirror back after you have fitted the mirror gauge, I will refund the £100 back to you. Your mirror must be in good cosmetic condition when I receive it, with no physical damage to the plastics caused by failed auto-dim glass/leaking auto-dim fluid. It is ok if the mirror has non-dimming auto-dim glass, as the glass will be removed and changed for the next mirror gauge. However, it needs to be in good cosmetic condition. Delivery is £20 UK insured and tracked. Worldwide delivery varies by country but is usually approx. £40.

Lead time to order in the AEM gauges and build the mirror is approx. 2-3 weeks from time of order.

Please see photos below of setup you will receive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What the displays look like shining through the mirror glass:

[​IMG]

* Please note that on the E46 M3 with it's straight six engine and OE exhaust setup that the AFR gauge can only ever monitor one bank of three cylinders. This is because the E46 M3 runs a two pipe exhaust system ie three cylinders converging in to one exhaust pipe and the other three cylinders converging in to the other exhaust pipe. Both pipes run underneath the car to the backbox. It is assumed that your readings between both exhaust pipes are similar (which they obviously should be). As long as spark plugs/coilpacks etc are all in good condition and consistent, then your AFR readings should be similar between both pipes. However if you run a single pipe exhaust system without cats, then you can always fit the AFR gauge in to the single pipe where the exhausts converge. Or even in to a Link pipe / H-pipe if there are no cats prior. This mirror gauge is never designed to be a complete replacement to knock detection and engine maintenance / checks, but it could give you prior warning that there is an issue before it causes damage to your engine. If you would prefer to lose the Boost gauge and have a second AFR gauge measuring the second bank of three cylinders; this is an other option at additional cost.

Let me know if you have any questions

jada07515 likes this.
  2. 17 Jun 2020 at 10:01 PM #2
    M3POWERBOY

M3POWERBOY Sponsor

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 SMG Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey/Black Nappa/Alcantara Custom Recaro CS/CSL
    Lovely bit of kit John

I’ve got the AWRON gauge that measures both AFR banks Luckily

But as you can’t get them anymore this would be a great add on especially if a car is SC’d

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)