First Track Day - Any Particular Organisers?

Discussion in 'Track-days' started by NathanM2, Jan 6, 2020.

1. 11 Jan 2020 at 2:23 PM #21
    SDJ

SDJ On the path

Your Motor:
    E90 M3
    If he's troubling his pads on his first trackday then he's doing alright.
    I used to have the same disagreement with people about the m135i brakes which apparently were useless. I spent most track days out braking them with stock pads, lol
    No doubt there are better options out there, but stock brakes won't be unsafe.
    Enjoy eitherway :halm:

2. 11 Jan 2020 at 3:24 PM #22
    JoePeps

JoePeps Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M2/XJS/S1000RR
    Colour Combo:
    Black/Red
    After my first car trackday in my M2 it ruined the discs with deposits, doing 1.23 round Donington National. For the sake of a few quid that you're going to spend in any case it just makes sense to buy them initially, surely?

3. 11 Jan 2020 at 4:04 PM #23
    SDJ

SDJ On the path

Your Motor:
    E90 M3
    To be honest, I don't know how different pads affect the disc deposits. My 1 series discs were wobbly under medium road use after the first track day (not noticed under normal driving or really hard braking), but have you tried new discs with different pads and not had the same issue on track?

4. 11 Jan 2020 at 8:14 PM #24
    JoePeps

JoePeps Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M2/XJS/S1000RR
    Colour Combo:
    Black/Red
    The standard pads aren't designed for the temperatures you get to when running on track at a reasonable pace so they disintegrate and leave deposits on the discs as they overheat and fail. This gives the rumbling and vibration effects.
    Proper pads don't work very well when cold, ie road use, but work so much better where they are designed to at higher temps, and don't break down and leave the discs covered in ****.

5. 11 Jan 2020 at 10:32 PM #25
    Captain B

Captain B On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    carbon black
    Most performance road cars these days have poor brakes when it comes to track work, they need to be upgraded and depending how serious one is and their budget depends on either a good pad disc fluid set up or going the whole hog.
    Thing is a newbie, will end up heating the brakes possibly cooking the fluid more so as he/she will be on the peddle longer generating more heat, and yes so over heating the pads.As a driver gets more experience they should will tend to brake harder and shorter keeping the temps down.
    But for the op and first time on track, apart from as has been mentioned wouldn't go a miss with fitting some comp pads and will still be fine to use on the road.
    After his first day on track he can then see how far or not wants to go with the car etc.

Will no doubt be hooked though.

6. 12 Jan 2020 at 6:32 PM #26
    SDJ

SDJ On the path

Your Motor:
    E90 M3
    Sorry, that's just not true. The heat comes from converting kinetic energy I.e The change in speed. Slowing down more gently won't create more heat. Slowing down from a greater speed (more experienced driver) definitely will.
    I think the op can make up his mind now.....

7. 12 Jan 2020 at 11:40 PM #27
    Captain B

Captain B On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    carbon black
    No no,I will explain... we are not talking slowing down gently like on the public highway, newbie or not, on track the overall speeds are high and will still be harder on the brake than would on any road but will be on the peddle for longer than more experience drivers and be braking more times per lap, thus creating more heat build up over a given time also giving less time for the discs to cool. FACT.
    But that aside, Any road car with standard brakes when pushed on track at some point will incur issues.
    We will just have to agree to disagree.
    Regards Alan.

8. 17 Jan 2020 at 2:57 PM #28
    NathanM2

NathanM2 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    F87 M2 - N55
    Colour Combo:
    Long Beach Blue
    I've now bought DS1.11's for the front and 2500's for the rear. Fluid to follow.

I'm very much open to tuition, never to proud to learn but I'm pretty capable/brave driver already (hence buying pads now)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)