First Track Day - Any Particular Organisers?

Discussion in 'Track-days' started by NathanM2, Jan 6, 2020.

1. 6 Jan 2020 at 4:26 PM #1
    NathanM2

NathanM2 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    F87 M2 - N55
    Colour Combo:
    Long Beach Blue
    Hi all,

Looking to track my M2 this year and really stretch the legs on her.

Have put a stage 2 tune and FBO mods on hold for uprated trackpads, fluid and other track costs (and ideally don't want to tune her up only to slam into a wall on my first experience).

I've not done a track day before (I've spent endless nights reading and researching) but just wondered if there are any popular/go-to organisers people tend to use?

I'd most likely be looking to go to Bedford Autodrome first due to the large run-off areas and yes, I'll be insured up to my nuts too (looks like Morris are fairly commonly used to insurance...)

I've only really looked on MSV's website in regards to cost and calendar dates.

Thanks in advance for your help, Nathan.

2. 6 Jan 2020 at 4:45 PM #2
    Telsy

Telsy Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2017 F80 M3 DCT Comp pack
    Colour Combo:
    Silverstone / Black
    Hi there,

I can't comment on the mods you have done, but would certainly recommend upgrades to the OEM brakes as you have suggested.

Bedford Autodrome is an ideal place to start as it is wide, plenty of visibility and run off areas should things go wrong - you would be really unlucky to hit anything if you did run out of talent. I don't think you have any sort of exhaust mod, but if you do, be aware that noise limits are very strict here.

Moris are a good provider of insurance, I have used them many times before, but thankfully not had to claim.

The below should allow you to select bedford under venue and then list all of dates at that circuit:

https://www.trackdays.co.uk/calendar/cars/

I would suggest going with a friend and if at all possible, somebody who has done a trackway before, perhaps some forum members you have struck up some rapport with.

Above all else, enjoy it, be safe and the sign of a good day is you and the car driving off at the end of it in one piece!

3. 6 Jan 2020 at 4:54 PM #3
    NathanM2

NathanM2 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    F87 M2 - N55
    Colour Combo:
    Long Beach Blue
    Hi Telsy,

Thanks for the quick response.

It was only until I hit the forums that I realised OEM pads would just die on track, so made a list of the commonly used pads (DS1.11, DSUNO, RS29's, etc, etc) and likewise will put uprated fluid.

Thanks for the heads up and the link!

Car is stock tuning wise although I do have a Sports Cat sat in it's box to fit at some point.
    Also, got a friend at work in an F80 who's also game. I've actually done one track day in a Lambo before but it was a long time ago now!

Cheers.

4. 6 Jan 2020 at 7:44 PM #4
    Telsy

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Silverstone / Black
    Pleasure mate.

I did my first ever track day in my E92 M3 on my own at Brands in the pi$$ing rain and hated it.

Told a mate at work and his buddy; who I knew by association, was running a pretty serious GTR at the time and soon enough 4 of us headed to Bedford. Well, what a revelation, that trip to Bedford with good company has cost me a bloody fortune :muttley:

5. 6 Jan 2020 at 8:15 PM #5
    JoePeps

JoePeps Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M2/XJS/S1000RR
    Colour Combo:
    Black/Red
    I'd recommend Donington as you're only an hour ish away, nice and wide and plenty of spots for over taking safely. Never done Bedford though so can't compare really.

The standard brakes aren't great so I would upgrade the pads bare minimum, but to be honest for your first day provided you aren't being a hero they should be fine, mine were.

May be worth just doing an evening for your first, a full day is a lot of hard work on the car and yourself. An evening means you won't have time to push too hard and stack it....hopefully!

BobbyMac and Telsy like this.
  6. 6 Jan 2020 at 10:05 PM #6
    NathanM2

NathanM2 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    F87 M2 - N55
    Colour Combo:
    Long Beach Blue
    Haha, I can imagine it’s pretty addictive after a good session. Money well spent - that’s what you have to tell yourself right :D

7. 6 Jan 2020 at 10:08 PM #7
    NathanM2

NathanM2 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    F87 M2 - N55
    Colour Combo:
    Long Beach Blue
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated! Tbf Id just been looking at full days so will def’ consider what you’ve said!

I’ve scoped out Donny, Brands, Bedford and Snetterton.

8. 7 Jan 2020 at 2:43 PM #8
    WillF

WillF A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2004 BMW M3
    My first track day was one of the novice days at Snetterton with my mate (https://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/products/novice-only-car-trackday/)

It was a pretty good format - one 20 minute session per hour meant there was enough time to see what was going on, but not too much for the car to overheat badly or you to lose concentration, plus no race cars / slicks meant I wasn’t looking in the mirrors the whole time!

That said there’s no reason why you wouldn’t go for a standard open pit lane (particularly if you’re going with someone who’s done it before), just more to think about.

9. 7 Jan 2020 at 3:11 PM #9
    Captain B

Captain B On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    carbon black
    I would say that open pitlane is best as you can go out and come in when you like less pressure and usually after the first hr you will find it less busy than doing sessions. you are based centrally so a few options not too far away. Donington is a good one with good run off and facilities wth 98d drive by, and if you are a touch over at least they will call you in and give you a chance to sort it if poss. Where as Boring featureless Bedford is very strict and once black flagged for noise you are on your way home.
    Snett is a good interesting circuit with plenty of variation. Brands is fun and varied but is short so very busy and hectic for your first one.

10. 8 Jan 2020 at 10:19 AM #10
    M3 R0B

M3 R0B Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Grey / Black interior
    My 1st ever trackday was at blyton park because there is absolutely nothing to hit it's in the middle of a field also did open pit lane.

I think Bedford and open pit lane would be best for you because theres nothing to hit so for your 1st trackday you can find the limits of your car and yourself without worrying about hitting a barrier and you can also get used to being on track, avoiding other cars etc because youl be nervous about damaging your car and avoiding other people on your 1st one.
    Also like was said above with an open pit lane, its busy on track for the 1st hour because everyone cant wait to get on track, once they've done a few 10min sessions theyl chill out a bit then you can go out on a quiet ish track and get used to it. Then again after dinner it will be busy for an hour again then you can have a quiet track again. With the 20min an hour sessions youl always be on a busy track constantly watching your rear view mirror to get out the way of faster people.
    Although Bedford maybe abit boring as in it's all flat it's still a good track so it's a good start, learn your car, learn track etiquette then your next trackday you can go to a decent track with barriers and be more confident on because you know how it all works and you know what your car can do.

11. 8 Jan 2020 at 10:45 AM #11
    NathanM2

NathanM2 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    F87 M2 - N55
    Colour Combo:
    Long Beach Blue
    Thank again for the sound advice, much appreciated and encouraging to see you guys roughly suggesting the same kinda thing.

:)

Now to get the trackpads ordered and fluid in!

M3 R0B likes this.
  12. 8 Jan 2020 at 12:12 PM #12
    M3 R0B

Your Motor:
    2004 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Grey / Black interior
    That's also key point, make sure you've got some grippy tyres and decent pads that can handle abit of abuse at a minimum for a trackday. My 1st trackday I had very basic road tyres so after 3 or 4 laps were just under steering constantly and i also had basic pads so again after 5 or 6 laps i had no brakes so I could only do 5 or 6 laps at a time then I'd have to come off for 20mins so it was quite frustrating but my own fault for being unprepared.
    Also a good thing to note is go out for 3 or 4 warm up laps then come back in and drop your tyre pressure back to what they should be then go back out whilst everything is warm. The difference between cold and hot tyres for me about 8 or 9 psi.

13. 8 Jan 2020 at 12:25 PM #13
    NathanM2

NathanM2 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    F87 M2 - N55
    Colour Combo:
    Long Beach Blue
    I'm running Pilot Super Sports all around and yes, have noted to take pump and watch the pressures as they rise with heat.

Cheers.

14. 8 Jan 2020 at 12:31 PM #14
    M3 R0B

Your Motor:
    2004 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Grey / Black interior
    Your all sorted then, I'm sure youl have a blast mate but be warned though.... you WILL get addicted to it and a month later youl be thinking about doing another, and another, and another lol that's not a bad thing though, using the the car properly and learning some driving skills. Enjoy

NathanM2 likes this.
  15. 8 Jan 2020 at 12:36 PM #15
    Telsy

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Silverstone / Black
    This is so true, it is addictive.

Although a major upside for me has been that I don’t feel the need to really lean on the car on the road anymore, as I know full well how capable it is and has made me; dare I say it, a better driver!

NathanM2 and M3 R0B like this.
  16. 8 Jan 2020 at 12:41 PM #16
    M3 R0B

Your Motor:
    2004 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Grey / Black interior
    Its proper addictive, after I'd done 2 trackdays and a ring trip with good tyres and brakes in my daily e46 m3, I started wanting to handle better so I got a really aggressive allignment, then a reclinabe bucket seat, then some expensive proper track pads so on and so on to where now after 2 years my daily m3 has fixed buckets and harnesses, no rear seats, upgraded rad, adjustable arms, proper semi slick tyres and later this year will have a half rear cage. Its slowly becoming more track car than daily lol buts it's a beast on track so it's worth it

17. 8 Jan 2020 at 12:51 PM #17
    NathanM2

NathanM2 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    F87 M2 - N55
    Colour Combo:
    Long Beach Blue
    Christ - god help me, or rather, my wallet :D

18. 8 Jan 2020 at 7:04 PM #18
    SDJ

SDJ On the path

Your Motor:
    E90 M3
    If you want to spend some extra money, get some tuition. Please don't waste money on brake upgrades at this stage. It's an M2! It will be much more capable than you if it's your first track day. Bedford is good fun, but since you are paying for insurance you may as well go to Donnington. I'm going on the 20th and It's only £99 open pit :)

19. 11 Jan 2020 at 8:11 AM #19
    Warren6m

Warren6m Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    E36 Track day car
    My advice is book a day with Opentrack
    At Donington. The good thing about opentrack is the tuition is completely free! At the start of the day you can just go out your name down on a slot.

I’m there on the 26th of Feb so you could always come out with me also if that day is one you fancy.

After a few laps you’ll be in the swing of things, the things that have potential to wreck your day (as it’s your first time) are brakes over heating and tyres going off. But it sounds like you have these things covered. You want to just be able to go out for fairly long stints and build your pace up.

Dont do an evening session they are absolute chaos.

20. 11 Jan 2020 at 11:25 AM #20
    JoePeps

JoePeps Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M2/XJS/S1000RR
    Colour Combo:
    Black/Red
    I wouldn't agree about the pads mate, the standard pads are terrible and will leave deposits all over the discs. Not sure I'd worry about fluid but pads are a definite need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)