1. 8 Oct 2020 at 10:35 PM #1
    M3CD

M3CD Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    Porsche (993)
    Is the CS to the F80 effectively the equivalent of the CSL to the E46?

Saw a lovely F80 CS for £60k and don’t mind the outlay but don’t want to lose my shirt in depreciation (hence wondering if will have strong residuals like the CSL) - over the next 3 years what kind of depreciation do people expect to see?

2. 9 Oct 2020 at 12:09 AM #2
    Zletsgo

Zletsgo Wearing official robes

What're you driving?:
    M3 Comp Pack
    Colour Combo:
    Nardo Grey
    Hard to judge, I think it would certainly be guaranteed to say it will depreciate slower than the other F80's - at this point the CSL wasn't doing much better than the regular E46 M3 as it was poorly thought of and not appreciated for what it was when people compared the performance figures and expected more for the price increase over the regular car.
    Closest modern car to the CSL is probably the 1M in terms of appreciating

M3CD likes this.
  3. 9 Oct 2020 at 5:52 AM #3
    Yas Man

Yas Man Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    Alpine White M4 CS With All The Toys
    In terms of handling yes, I’ve had three regular/Comp M4s, an M2C and an M3C. I now have an M4CS but I’ve also had a CSL.

The connection to the car is amazing and even with the Cup2s removed, my car is on MPSS, the communication levels are fantastic. Not going to lie, you can map much of this into a regular M3/M4 with software upgrades so many owners claim but the CS is very comparable to the CSL, although the 1M coupe is probably the closest. Given the price of both the 1M and the CSL, you’d just buy the CSL.

Noise, the drama of the CSL with its race car’esque induction roar cannot be matched by any other BMW. The CS with an M Performance exhaust sounds brilliant and goes some way towards adding some of the CSL drama back into the mix.

Uniqueness, this is the biggest dilemma for me. The M3CS is probably the better looking car, it’s definitely in front of the M4CS in terms of the value stakes and rarity. All that said, the M4CS feels the more unique and closer to the CSL, especially inside with the carbon door cards and fabric door straps etc. The OLED rear lights of the M4CS are also unique to that car, in terms of you don’t get them on the M3CS, however, the M3CS has a more user friendly interior, proper arm rest on the door cards and a slightly better stereo.

In terms of value, who knows but I think the CSs will hold their money better than any other model but only time will tell and I would not advise anyone to buy one as an investment but as a pure drivers car, the BMW 1M coupe is the closest successor to the CSL but the CS is the closest out of the E92/F8X platforms.

Hope this helps.

imp, Steveo, Alan RB and 3 others like this.
  4. 9 Oct 2020 at 8:37 AM #4
    Henry 145

Henry 145 Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    Audi & Beemers
    Yes one of the reasons I bought a CS and have kept it for a year now is because of it being first M car for me since the CSL that felt like that it

Alan RB and M3CD like this.
  5. 9 Oct 2020 at 12:06 PM #5
    M3CD

M3CD Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    Porsche (993)
    Thank you for such a detailed and well considered response. I’ve already got a 1M in the garage, but something about the CS appeals to me. I guess it is the way it looks, the DCT (as using it as a daily) and the fact I need a car to put the kids in too.

Once you start looking at competition packs, the steer is to buy a 2018 facelift for the handling and for that you’re going into early 40s for a car that lovely but not necessarily “special” and hence usual man maths I think put in the extra and get a beautiful CS.

I don’t mind putting in the additional outlay, it’s more so I don’t want to lose 30k over the next 3 years. Its is a heart vs. mind dilemma.

I do absolutely love the way the CS looks, one of my favourite cars visually at least!

ETA. Thanks for the other responses too guys, I didn’t want to quote each one to save space but they are very useful too :)

Henry 145 and Yas Man like this.
  6. 9 Oct 2020 at 3:06 PM #6
    Yas Man

Yas Man Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    Alpine White M4 CS With All The Toys
    Glad we could help. You’re spot on with the man maths, I’m going to try and keep my CS and then buy something else in a few years.

M3CD likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)