EWS vs EWS II Operation

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1991-1999) and E30 M3 (1986-1990)' started by OJ48, Jan 9, 2021.

1. 9 Jan 2021 at 7:03 PM #1
    OJ48

OJ48 On the path

What're you driving?:
    E92 M3
    Hi guys,

Appreciate this might be a long shot but does anyone know if there is any difference between the code generation protocol between EWS and EWS ii?

I’m in the process of sorting the wiring out to transplant an S50B32 into a Defender which was originally fitted with an M52B28 from the factory in South Africa (yes they actually did!)

The old Land Rover alarm system actually has EWS built into it, and I’m hoping that it’s the same protocol between the unit and the DME as the later version just without the added features like the antenna for the transponder in the key.

That way it’ll make it quicker for me to get up and running as I have the Land Rover software to sync it.

If not, no big deal I’ll just get the DME coded/chipped to delete it before it’s installed

2. 10 Jan 2021 at 7:00 PM #2
    MParallel

MParallel Underwear thermally upgraded

What're you driving?:
    1998 M3 SMG cabrio
    Colour Combo:
    Alpinweiss 3 auf Schwarz - 1 of 12
    Search for EWS pdf. Explains all the ews systems.

EWS just means drive away protection. Iirc EWS1 doesn’t have a coded key.

And EWS2 has 10 hardcoded codes (no rolling code) and that’s why you can only get 6 spares (4 keys on delivery) makes 10 in total.

3. 10 Jan 2021 at 9:52 PM #3
    OJ48

OJ48 On the path

What're you driving?:
    E92 M3
    Yeah I found that PDF a while back, I did wonder about the ISN codes (ie the fixed ones) as it subjectively sounds like the way people describe the Land Rover alarm system as functioning

I was thinking of mocking the looms up on the bench and testing them to make sure I’ve got the interface between the two right, perhaps I’ll just give it a go and see if it works

Two chances after all!

4. 23 Feb 2021 at 9:39 AM #4
    OJ48

OJ48 On the path

What're you driving?:
    E92 M3
    Just an update in case anyone was interested

I managed to get the Land Rover loom and the S50 loom mocked up on the bench (well the floor of my study as the bench wasn't big enough!) with the alarm comms line hooked up to the pin on the S50 ECU that matched the description of the one on the old M52 ECU, programmed the Land Rover alarm to match the ISN and voila, the EWS tamper fault code in the ECU disappeared straight away.

Looks like the different variants of the earlier EWS indeed only vary in terms of the protection they offer (e.g. key transponder or not), so the systems are relatively interchangeable, at least up until the point of the rolling code system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)