Evolve CSL Carbon Airbox fitted and mapped by Mike

Discussion in 'M3Carbon1' started by DiM3ch, Apr 25, 2019.

1. 25 Apr 2019 at 11:58 PM #1
    DiM3ch

DiM3ch Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    CB/Kiwi
    Evening guys

Just wanted to write a review/experience for anyone wanting or just curious as to what it’s like having what’s considered probably the holy grail modification for the E46 M3, I had an Eventuri with the Gen 2 filter and Turner Motorsport IAT relocation kit before this so was keen to experience the difference with a full airbox setup, I was never going to go AlphaN as the only way to do this setup properly is using a MAP/IAT sensor setup and ECU converted to CSL specs. So got hold of Mike based on some recommendations and doing my own research, originally I was going to continue to use Evolve but thought I’d try someone different this time round, I was going to fit the genuine OEM CSL airbox I bought but not long before the fitting date I received an offer I couldn’t really refuse but even still it was a decision to sell that wasn’t taken lightly at all! So with the OEM box gone I quickly obtained the Evolve box that was for sale from BMR Performance, tbh I always wanted to run without a flap anyway so not really disappointed not having the OEM box plus the Evolve one is actually louder. Got the rest of the kit needed to fit it and map etc wanted yellow throttle joiners so got those from MK Performance hoses, fitted it with a senior BMW tech at the dealer and wired up the new sensor setup, next day went to see Baris for him to convert my DME to CSL spec so Mike could map it later in the day, the drive home from Baris even just running the standard CSL map was hilarious, I knew that it would be loud and seriously raw intake sound but nothing prepares you from watching videos etc than hearing it in real life, scared quite a few people on the pavement downshifting and accelerating under load! Mike then remotely logged on to install the power map later that evening, once done I took the old man out with me for the first proper drive, needless to say he came back white knuckled haha Mikes map definitely makes it a smoother drive overall, but that smoothness doesn’t cover up the seriously new found hard pulling high up in the rev range, also got rid of the slight hesitation I had under load around 2.5k in higher gears, it was Evolve mapped before so not sure if it was that or not to be fair. The throttle response has also increased even further, back to the noise, honestly even over the Eventuri which I thought and so did others is actually quite loud it’s nothing on the Evolve airbox, I know it’s an expensive mod but combined with the 4.10 gears, lightweight pulleys and flywheel, vanos rebuild etc it’s a completely different car, I’d certainly recommend doing it if you are in a position to do so. Have put more miles on it since fitting it a few weeks ago than most of last year lol it’s addictive

Genuine OEM CSL Carbon airbox

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Evolve CSL Carbon airbox and custom gel decal

[​IMG]

Filter cleaned and oiled with ITG kit before fitting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Box cleaned, polished, IPA’d and given three coats of FK1000P sealant and decal applied before fitting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitting the box, OEM CSL SMG parts used for the relocation of the SMG resovoir and breather parts etc throttle bodies cleaned whilst accessible

[​IMG]

All fitted and wired in, SAP deleted at the same time to

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall I’d highly recommend Mike for mapping, always contactable and explains the process each step, also a huge help in supplying a list of what parts are needed for the whole conversion. He also coded in CSL warmup lights, SAP delete and reprogrammed the SMG ECU to the 4.10 diff gears so it works properly in auto mode again, never use it but it’s nice to know it’s done. Next step is to spruce up the engine bay with new fittings/catches etc everywhere, full yellow hose kit, polish vanos and spray oil filter housing cover Champagne Quartz to match the wheels, now looking into camming it with 288/280 or higher cams with bored out throttle bodies and some head work whist there, refresh head gasket etc whilst there

Cheers

Arran

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    joe smoe likes this.
  2. 28 Apr 2019 at 10:32 AM #2
    M3CARBON1

M3CARBON1 Sponsor

Your Motor:
    2002 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon - Red nappa

Glad you are happy mate, pleasure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)