Eonon BMW E46 Stereo thread

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by EononAudio, Jul 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. 3 Aug 2012 at 3:06 PM #181
    allen

allen Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    nothing, except a 100ps transit
    Colour Combo:
    White
    That would be good, I'm waiting for a guinea pig!

2. 3 Aug 2012 at 3:14 PM #182
    LooneyLeon

LooneyLeon Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Met Steel Grey / Black Nappa
    I'll do one once it's in, most people don't seem to have the OEM screen so their installs should be pretty easy.

I might take a few pics along the way of what I did (That is if I can actually do it lol).

I've just bought a load of wire to extend the harness, a Aerial extender, solder etc etc.

Gave me an excuse to buy a decent set of wire strippers though I guess lol.

3. 3 Aug 2012 at 3:22 PM #183
    allen

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    White
    You got sat nav and hk Leon?

4. 3 Aug 2012 at 3:28 PM #184
    LooneyLeon

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Yeah have indeed. Aparently the HK will just work with the 40pin harness that Eonon included.

I'm going home now just to see if I can get the sound going by connecting it all in the boot. I couldnt get sound last night working because I think I need to set the External Amp on in the Menu Settings some where, im guess factory default is set = off.

It was late last night whe I was messing about with it.

watch this space:thumbsup:

5. 3 Aug 2012 at 3:33 PM #185
    allen

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    White
    Did you get the digital tv as well? What year is yours?

6. 3 Aug 2012 at 4:35 PM #186
    LooneyLeon

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Yep, 2002

7. 3 Aug 2012 at 11:53 PM #187
    LooneyLeon

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Hello All,

Right got an update.

I've got the BMW OEM Wide Screen Monitor with Sat Nav/Tv etc and the HK amp.

This system is NOT plug and play if you have the system above, trust me i've now got the T-Shirt.

Bleah's comments on page 5 reply #81 are spot on and he's spent a lot of time and effort helping me out tonight and i'm only writing the following because of him, cheers dude :thumbsup:

The Wide Screen in the front is nothing more than a screen that switches things on and off in the boot, it's got 2 x 12 pin connectors (see Bleahs pics), all the control units (what you would class as a stereo) are all in the back by the Multi changer. There is NO 17 or 40 pin harness in the front hence why the Harnesses Eonon supplied wont go in the front and hence why this isn't plug and play (for the above set up).

You need to do the following to get the D5113 working if you have my set up above.

1) In the boot behind where the CD changer is you need to get to the BMW Professional Radio Unit.

2) Remove the carpet panel.

3) Unplug and remove the first shiny silver box (it's got two x 12 pin connectors, use a 8mm socket and take it out), you don't need this box any more. (more power to weight oh yes).....:p

4) The next Silver box is the one that you really need to get to. This is in effect the 'Stereo'. Use a 8mm socket and remove this, it has either the 17 or 40 pin OEM BMW female plug/harness attached to it. It also has the Radio Antenna attached. Unclip both. You don't need the bmw unit any more. (even more power to weight oh yes).....:p

Maybe a good idea at this time is to plug your nice new Eonon D5113 in using the appropriate harness that was supplied by Eonon; just so you can check everything works correctly. Plug the two plugs (1 x Black, 1 x white) from the Eonon supplied harness into the Eonon D5113.

Note - I've got the the newer 40 pin harness (late 2001 onwards i
    I think) in mine.

Now this is where I ended up spending a lot of time swearing and going grey. On the Eonon 40 pin harness you will notice two blue wires one has a male connector and the other has a female connector (both have a clear rubber casing), make sure you connect these two together, they say 'Ant' and 'Amp....something' on them. If you don't, when you connect the 40 pin Eonon harness to the OEM BMW 40 pin female port (the one that came out of the BMW Professional Radio unit), the D5113 will power up (as long as you have the key set to ignition 1) but where will be NO sound.:mad:

(note - it appears the 17 pin harness doesn't have the female / Male 'Amp' and 'Ant' plugs so you wont have to worry about the above.

5) At this point all should be working, the system will automatically come through the HK amp and sound should be coming out of all speakers.

6) Once you are happy and all is working, you need to get the harness from the boot up into the Front (where your OEM screen is), Unless you want to install you're new head unit in the boot :roflmao:

7) I went to Maplins and purchased 100 Metres of 6Amp black wire for £18 to use to extend the Eonon harness. Also I got a 4 Metre Stereo Aerial extension lead (£6.99) from Halfords (I hope it will reach else will be a 1 metre one also).

8) I haven't done the next bits but subject to some decent soldering all should be ok :thumbsup: I'm going to cut all of the wires on the harness and extend them by 5 metres.

9) Plug in the Eonon supplied BMW (Dakra) to ISO aerial converter then use the halfords 4 meter aerial extender, and then going under the carpet/passenger door sill, up over the Glove box root both cables, then into the Cavity where the OEM screen was (Oh yeah you might want to remove this lol, just google it, if you want to know PM me and ill tell you how to do it).

Jobs a good one.......cup of tea :thumbsup:

10) If you've bought the HD TV unit its been suggested that you mount this near where the Eonon head unit goes and put one antenna vertically on the passenger side front windscreen and the other antenna horizontally on the drivers side. I'll keep you posted how this goes.

11) I'll let you know where I put the GPS antenna.

Hope this has been of some use..

P.S for maximum power to weight you might as well take out the Nav Unit also lol

8. 4 Aug 2012 at 12:07 AM #188
    LooneyLeon

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Need to add, the sound seems much much louder/crisper than the OEM HK set up I had. :thumbsup:

Watched a good 20 mins of Shaun of the Dead on DVD also on it, great quality, im very very impressed with this unit. It's also got two USB ports in the back.

GPS locks on straight away

If you haven't already, BUY ONE!!!!!!!!!1

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  9. 4 Aug 2012 at 2:48 AM #189
    allen

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    White
    Thanks leon

10. 4 Aug 2012 at 10:45 AM #190
    Ticker

Ticker Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2003 M3 E46
    Colour Combo:
    Silver with black interior
    Adapter plate - which one

Guys,

I have just received new my unit is on route (65 quid later), but which plate to I need

I have business unit stereo with no HK, and have sport mode, tyre pressure and dsc buttons at bottom of opening compTment / cubby box type.

Do I need 18 or 16 inch?

Thanks

Dave

11. 4 Aug 2012 at 10:55 AM #191
    LooneyLeon

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Correction - You need 2 x 5 metres of 10amp wire to extend the power, doh it took another trip to Maplins £8 later..........

12. 4 Aug 2012 at 2:09 PM #192
    chamb0

chamb0 Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    Golf R Audi S3
    Colour Combo:
    Grey with Red interior
    so i have nav/tv OEM not HK, what do i need guys

13. 4 Aug 2012 at 2:18 PM #193
    philj

philj Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Steel Grey / Black
    I would guess at 16mm one but the only way to be a 100% sure is to measure it yourself.

14. 4 Aug 2012 at 6:43 PM #194
    LooneyLeon

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Ok spent ALL day extending the harness aghhhhhhh, anyway just tried it and it works. tomorrow is install day, pics to follow :thumbsup:

15. 4 Aug 2012 at 7:25 PM #195
    KeithS

KeithS Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2010 E90 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Alpine White/ Fox Red
    Nice work getting it sorted! Look forward to seeing the unit fitted.
    Wish i could find sometime to get mine fitted!:(

16. 5 Aug 2012 at 9:10 PM #196
    LooneyLeon

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Right, finally got the little beauty fitted I haven't fitted the tv due to time constraints.

I'll hopefully take some pics of how the menu works etc and take a video tomorrow.

Had a little go with it and i've got the following to report:-

1) It looks totally OEM, the same coloured plastics, feel of buttons, Orange Colour of buttons, BMW Icon on boot up.

2) This should probably have been number 1 but i'm so tired after extending the Harness and fitting it i can't be arsed to move 1 and 2 over. Although it takes a long time to ext the harness then to fit it, it isn't actually that bad or hard to do (I did it and they used to call me the fuse king as I used to always blow fuses up when doing stuff like this*. (If you want full details PM me and I'll tell you what I did).

Now on to the good stuff.

3) It takes only a few seconds to boot up.

4) The radio is spot on, lots of options, It can auto tune all the memory's etc. Reception is rock solid, each stations name is displayed (Radio 1) etc

5) DVD's take about 15-30 seconds to load, everything is as you would expect, smooth, rich colours, great sound. I've got the HK system and it comes through all the speakers, rich thumping bass and high tweets.

One thing is that the screen to start with is black and says something like (Disable video for safe driving), i was bummed at first as i wanted this on whilst driving. Anyway I found a way to get it to work, once the dvd starts (you can hear the audio) you then go to the main menu and select the settings Icon, then choose 'Display' you can now see a tiny screen with the movie playing, if you then swipe your finger down then screen goes to the DVD in full screen. Weird, but it works whilst driving.

Just been back into the car, and the DVD is now not showing the 'Disabled'......... message it just plays.

You can have subtitles on/off etc. You can output this to two other screen also (I haven't tried this).

6) (Next GPS so far this is the most impressive thing ive tried)
    I fitted the satnav antenna up by the rear view mirror.
    The satnav locks on very quickly to the sats 30 secs to 2 mins?. There is almost every possible setting you could ever want. When deciding where to put the GPS antenna theres a great setting that lets you see how many satellites have been found what there strength is and if locked or not. It also tells you other stuff like where they are in the sky etc lol.

Once its locked on and found your position, you get all the usual options, navigate to etc etc. You can search for POI need your location, I chose restaurants if new all my local ones, one touch and your on your way, its got all there numbers ready to dial.

You can choose and language you want for the instructions.

The Navi accuracy is spot on, it knows every road every turn, it even tells you things like (go slightly left as opposed to left, awsome) fells better than my tom tom.

It re-routes very quickly as you would expect.

It knows every speed limit and displays this, you can set up an alert to tell you if you exceed 10% of the given speed limit ( i love this).

It does 3d, 2d. The only thing it didnt seem to know was my local speed camera's? Maybe a download is required?

You can watch a DVD in full screen and have the nav telling you directions in the back ground. Or you can have the Nav on and have a one of two small picture in picture screens. You could also have the radio or cd playing at the same time.

Basically its totally spot on. Does full post code or address search.

7) Bluetooth works as you would expect, nice and shape and the person on the other end doesn't hear any echos etc.

I had a DVD on full screen, with the sat nav giving my voice commands and i made a bluetooth phone call, all worked spot on, greeeeeeeeeeat :thumbsup:

8) The sound settings is pretty cool, you get the see the seats from above
    and a crosshair of where the sound is centred. You can change everything as you would expect and can have different presets (Classical, Rock...etc etc)

Ran out of time as my curries just turned up, but basically so far this thing totally rocks, really happy with it........more to follow.

17. 5 Aug 2012 at 9:56 PM #197
    allen

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    White
    Thanks for that Leon, did it come with the accessories? Antenna leads etc?

Need to know this the I'm ordering!!

18. 5 Aug 2012 at 11:32 PM #198
    LooneyLeon

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    With the D5113 you get the following:-

1) Head unit (no sh1t)
    2) 17 and 40 pin harness
    3) Remote Control
    4) Stalk Can bus so your steering wheel will work (and your lights/Indicators it turns out)
    5) Instructions
    6) Plug that's got a load of phono inputs/outputs on (for the tv etc)
    7) GPS Antenna (Hook & Loop tape to mount it/or the stalk can bus)
    8) A screen protector (the sort of thing you get foe you phone)
    9) A screen stylus
    10) USB cable
    11) Ipod Cable
    12) OEM Head unit removal tools
    13) Radio Aerial converter (Your bmw will have a fakra connection the head unit has a standard aerial connection).

The TV unit has the following:-
    1) Main Decoder unit
    2) 2 x Antennas (they've got 3M sticky tape on them)
    3) 3 Phono leads (L,R and Video)
    4) Remote
    5) Instructions
    6) Infa Red Extender
    7) AV Adapter
    8) USB lead
    9) IR Adapter Cable
    10) AV Cables

19. 6 Aug 2012 at 5:26 AM #199
    allen

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    White
    This confuses me a little, perhaps I'm stupid?

Did you order maps? Or does it use the bmw DVD disc??

20. 6 Aug 2012 at 8:15 AM #200
    philj

philj Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Steel Grey / Black
    which satnav software do you get with the unit and is it updateable.

unit sounds very good but think l would like to have the android version unless this units operating system can be updated to windows 8 which is designed for touch screens

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)