engine rebuild pricing

Discussion in 'Engine maintenance, upgrades and modifications' started by Mrd1984, Sep 14, 2017.

1. 14 Jan 2018 at 11:45 PM #21
    Chady

Chady Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    csl
    Colour Combo:
    Sg
    Anybody used these wossner 12.3.1 pistons std bore size, “”Any feedback welcome”” as they are slightly higher compression,any problems encountered???, I’d assume they would need to run minimum supper unleaded or possibly race fuel ???

2. 16 Jan 2018 at 9:58 AM #22
    Iain

Iain Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    AMG estate
    Not used them but your kind of asking the wrong questions as the CR will vary depending on what cam your using, obviously the static is the static but ultimately its the dynamic CR thats going to be doing the do, so depending on the overlap and duration of the cam your going to get a different result

That said, 12.3 is not all that high, it will be fine on 98, i would be more concerned with the valve clearance if the head has been skimmed, you may need to get the pockets milled.

3. 16 Jan 2018 at 10:29 AM #23
    Chady

Your Motor:
    csl
    Colour Combo:
    Sg
    thanks for feedback Iain, Head hasn’t been skimmed std csl head and valves, it’s all just a learning curve for me with engine build. As mentioned previously this is spair csl motor, hopefully will try it in mine or the lads car,or better still possibly track car project Not sure which way to go regarding aftermarket internals pistons rods “open to suggestions”:thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  4. 16 Jan 2018 at 3:25 PM #24
    Iain

Your Motor:
    AMG estate
    Bear in mind you are going to have to skim it and probably skim the block, so thats going to shrink the clearance and raise CR unless you run a thicker head gasket.

in terms of engine internals i think its more what are you looking to achieve?

Ultimately what are you looking for, how many hours of run time? no point having a 14 hour engine if you are going to use it for trackdays.

5. 16 Jan 2018 at 4:07 PM #25
    Chady

Your Motor:
    csl
    Colour Combo:
    Sg
    hi Iain. Head and block are ok as it’s out of one of our csl’s My lad just bought a brand new engine from bmw. So it’s just a spare running engine , as we have two std csl engine ‘s the whole point is to build something with what’s available aftermarket internal parts , haven’t any real information to back anything up, so all feedback is welcome, if it blows no real issue, but saying that better to be fairly reliable, am guessing bmw made even the csl engine on the safe side , so ther maybe something to play with , nothing scientific about this to just see what happens with a few bits built into it. I’m thinking most homebuild motor,s are guesswork. Could always hand motor to engine builder but where ‘s the fun in that, as ever feedback good or bad welcome with what’s available out there :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

6. 17 Jan 2018 at 9:35 PM #26
    Mrd1984

Mrd1984 Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2001 laguna seca blue coupe
    Measure the block and see that the cylinders haven't gone out of round and just hone if all ok. It will save you a small fortune! Im pricing up pistons and rods still (will have the funds next month) and the prices are eye watering!

is this build just for road and occasional track use?

Im going to measure and see what to do. I'm not planning a turbo or supercharger so thats why I'm so interested in the cheaper rods. Still deciding on pistons too. I have almost found the end of the internet searching for just these 2 components!

Chady you are a lucky man!! Sounds like you've got access to all the good bits mate! good luck!

7. 17 Jan 2018 at 9:45 PM #27
    Mrd1984

Mrd1984 Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2001 laguna seca blue coupe
    also interested as these are 2nd on my list!

8. 18 Jan 2018 at 2:20 AM #28
    Iain

Your Motor:
    AMG estate
    Bores 1 and 6 have a slight offset step, so there will be some minor deviation, ultimately putting a stock 3.0 piston back it and it would be ok, there is no scoring or anything really nasty but i am leaning towards boring it and using some s54b32 pistons with the crowns milled down or even some s50b32 pistons rather than just using an oversize b30.

use is mostly track day with a little competition, it may move to more competition in the future budget and location allowing.

9. 18 Jan 2018 at 2:25 AM #29
    Iain

Your Motor:
    AMG estate
    I think if thats the case you are best off looking at whatever the biggest cam you can fit without going shim under, raising the CR a bit, 12.3 providing its only needing a light surfacing on the head should be ok. dry build it and check the clearance valve to piston and see how you go. there are stroker kits out there as well but they are punchy on the wallet.

Ultimately you can go bonkers, knife edge the crank, dry sump, vanos delete, head work shim under, ti springs and retainers, sodium filled valves slide throttles etc etc but all of these carry penalties in terms of drivability and longevity.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  10. 6 Mar 2018 at 6:56 PM #30
    monkeyboy

monkeyboy Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 E46 M3 vert manual Laguna Seca Blue
    Colour Combo:
    Laguna Seca blue, matching leather
    Had my bottom end rebuilt by Andy @ walkers Auto tec I went Oem on bearings & HG etc, originals were good enough to last 103k of (most likely p) being abused not warmed up correctly etc, So no reason they shouldn’t last longer being properly cared for.
    Can highly recommend walkers very competitive price wise and really know their stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)