E93 Glove Box

Discussion in 'E90 / E92 / E93 FAQ' started by m3man, Aug 10, 2016.

1. 10 Aug 2016 at 7:09 PM #1
    m3man

m3man Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2008 M3 Convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black/Black
    Hi Guys, I have a 2008 (58) M3 Convertible and tried to open the glove box today and it appeared 'locked'. I tried it manually with the key and with a bit or force the handle snapped. The handle is still in place (its now flappy) but cannot get into the glove box. Any ideas on how I can get in and fix it are greatly appreciated!

2. 11 Aug 2016 at 4:17 AM #2
    Ziman

Ziman Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    M4CP
    Colour Combo:
    MG with SO
    Hi Mate, mine is also locked shut and cant get into it..... I have tried everything, I backed off from using too much force so the handle is still in tact.

I'm hopping dealers can sort it under warranty.... i will let you know if they have any tips on getting it opened.

3. 11 Aug 2016 at 12:20 PM #3
    m3man

m3man Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2008 M3 Convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black/Black
    Ok, so I had to break it to get it open. I can now see how the mechanism works, however it doesnt explain why it did it.... BMW want £35 for a new handle plus costs to change the barrel over..... :-(

4. 30 Sep 2017 at 7:12 AM #4
    Flapps

Flapps Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2008 E93 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silverstone II/extended fox red, with all the whistles and bells.
    My glove box also played up in exactly the same way a couple of years ago. Spent an age fettling with the handle with the key in the lock and after a while got the thing open. Couldn't work out if it was something to do with the central locking system as well as sticky luggs either side of the lock which open and close when you pull the handle.

Covered the whole glove box lock with good old fashioned WD40 and not, touch wood, had any problems since but just add a spray of WD40 every once in a while as a precautionary measure now. They are temperamental buggers though. Had the glove box door off and almost the complete guts of the glove box out but couldn't find out why the locking mechanism played up:mad:

Flapps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)