1. 29 Oct 2020 at 3:26 PM #1
    Sanseru

Sanseru Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    Current E92 M3 (a keeper) Gone F20 M135i, E46 M3 vert, Gone SWB Defender, Gone E46 M3 coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Inter-lagos Blue, extended fox leather.
    Having got out of the M135i I am now looking at e92 M3s really don't want to make a mistake like that again..
    I really enjoyed my e46 M3s both SMG, looking to go manual now don't fancy DCT at all.
    what are people's thoughts not massive budget for KA401 examples sub 19k is where I'd like to be..

2. 29 Oct 2020 at 3:49 PM #2
    Boxa

Boxa Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    M3
    Go and drive a few. If you enjoyed the SMG in the E46 my guess is you'll be more than impressed by the DCT in the E92, its streets ahead. Many also argue the DCT is far better mated to the V8 than the manual box in terms of its ratios. E92 was my first auto, having always had manual before, and I wouldn't change it now.

Budget wise you may as well steer clear of the KA401, it's not as though you'll miss out on anything, its the same car after all. A decent comp pack car can be found with the same spec, so put the saving to good use and find a car with the right history/mileage/condition. I'd value that far more than a similar priced special edition car with higher mileage/worse condition, which is what you'd have to accept for the same money.

Sub 19k should get you a comp pack car, with a bit of haggling. Failing that you'll easily pick up a lower mileage, decent spec, non comp pack car if the comp pack extras aren't essential to you.

Keith and Sanseru like this.
  3. 29 Oct 2020 at 4:18 PM #3
    Keith

Keith Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    S65B40
    Colour Combo:
    Santorini Competition Pack
    I’m loving how many people are returning or wanting E92s. Feels like interest is quite high at the moment. People are realising the its the sort of car never to be made again (screaming V8 in an affordable, well-built, dynamically-tight sports car).

@Sanseru - if you want manual you’re ruling out competition packs, as most were DCT and manuals will likely be well out of budget, as manual comps seem to command a premium.

The Competition pack is the best option in my opinion - the car looks better for a start (lower and 359 alloys) but also drives a bit taughter, plus you have the Comp EDC software.

So do try a DCT, especially if you enjoyed SMG, it’ll blow you away. Manuals are good too (I’ve had both) but DCT is a very impressive gearbox.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    hakhan22, saty, Rob E92 M3 and 3 others like this.
  4. 29 Oct 2020 at 4:27 PM #4
    pb2707

pb2707 On the path

What're you driving?:
    E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Jerez Black / Novillo Bamboo Beige
    Interested to know what you didn't like about your m135i? Most people rave about them.

You should be able to get a decent spec'd one for £19k. EDC is a good option to have as well us upgraded audio. I'd try and find one thats had the rod bearings done because this will cost you circa £1.5k for peace of mind driving and maybe the throttle actuators however reconditioned units with a lifetime warranty cost around £450-£500.

I've just had the GTS software put on my DCT and its made a massive difference. Its a lot smoother around town and the shifts are a lot quicker when you're booting it.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

5. 29 Oct 2020 at 4:39 PM #5
    Sanseru

What're you driving?:
    Current E92 M3 (a keeper) Gone F20 M135i, E46 M3 vert, Gone SWB Defender, Gone E46 M3 coupe
    Colour Combo:
    one I have been looking at remotely as its a fair way from me as they all seem to be...
    https://www.georgemackay.co.uk/used-cars/bmw-m3-4-0-v8-2dr-edinburgh-202010084745873
    thoughts & opinions welcome.
    I'm not DCT adverse btw, just I was bitten by the SMG a couple of times and never really re-gained confidence for long trouble free motoring always had a little will it break niggle..

I do like the DCT one in Ireland on here, but suffer extreme sea sickness..

6. 29 Oct 2020 at 4:41 PM #6
    C1CDG

C1CDG Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    E92 M3 with comp pack
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral white / fox red
    I’ve just had mine a month now but as above, M-DCT was my only option. The gearbox can be super smooth and boring or ferocious and brutal. Depending on how you’ve got it set, oh and the downshift blips.... utterly fabulous.

Sanseru likes this.
  7. 29 Oct 2020 at 4:44 PM #7
    Sanseru

What're you driving?:
    Colour Combo:
    mine was a 5 door, it was fast enough but I just didn't get on with it really.

8. 29 Oct 2020 at 6:21 PM #8
    matt f

matt f Rocking a new hat

What're you driving?:
    E92 m3
    Colour Combo:
    Jerez black / Silver novello
    Dont feel pushed to opinions of autos.
    I spent the last 7 yrs in them. I always felt i wished i bought a manual so finally done away with it and bought a manual. Everytime i get in my m3 i think' glad i didnt buy another boring auto'!.
    However my van has dsg and is perfect for what its used for.

Burns, hakhan22 and Sanseru like this.
  9. 30 Oct 2020 at 10:22 AM #9
    Keith

Keith Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    S65B40
    Colour Combo:
    Santorini Competition Pack
    Just to add. DCT is incredibly reliable. Not even comparable to the problematic SMG.

The worst DCT issue you could find is it starting to weep oil slightly around the pan, which involves a flush and a new gasket. Which is no more expensive than a clutch and flywheel change on a manual. So don’t worry about reliability - DCT has proven to be rock-solid. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    danmorris and Sanseru like this.
  10. 30 Oct 2020 at 1:14 PM #10
    gauravM3

gauravM3 Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    2009 E90 M3
    If you have the opportunity, test drive them both, but as Keith said you probably won’t find a manual competition pack car. There was a rare one that was sold by a member here via collecting cars, no one on this forum showed much of an interest.

good luck with the hunt!

11. 30 Oct 2020 at 2:05 PM #11
    C1CDG

What're you driving?:
    E92 M3 with comp pack
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral white / fox red
    I think there’s an internet side to manuals where we all really like them, and a real life side where the majority of those same people really would rather have the DCT. It shows in the sales figures also.

For me the biggest aspect is that the BMW manual box really isn’t that great at all.

Sanseru and ns38 like this.
  12. 30 Oct 2020 at 4:17 PM #12
    BobbyMac

BobbyMac Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    Transit
    Defo test drive both mate. I’ve recently sold a manual with a short shifter for a dct comp pack. I still haven’t fully gelled with the dct to be honest, granted I haven’t driven it too much. Couple of track days booked next month so we’ll see from there. Great cars though in either gearbox :thumbsup:

Sanseru and Keith like this.
  13. 30 Oct 2020 at 9:52 PM #13
    Sanseru

What're you driving?:
    Colour Combo:
    Colours available at present seems limited to Black, White, or Silverstone Blue, not a great colour palette.

14. 30 Oct 2020 at 10:51 PM #14
    BenW

BenW Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2010 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silverstone / Black
    I wouldn’t discount silverstone, it wasn’t my first choice but it’s a very classy colour that shows the curves brilliantly.

hakhan22 likes this.
  15. 2 Nov 2020 at 7:24 AM #15
    bennyboyr1

bennyboyr1 Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    2008 E92 M3 Manual
    I thought I'd throw my size 11s in on this question as I came from an M135i 3 years ago.

The M135i was quick, but in comparison to the E92:

It had no LSD, it rolled a LOT, the DSC was hugely intrusive and slow to turn off, the induction noise was electronic or nothing, the throttle response wasn't a patch on the S65, the engine had no crescendo. Also, the suspension used soft deformable bushes, which meant that when pushed hard, the fronts lose camber as they deform, making it understeer. I could have spent £5k trying to make the M135i into something good, but the E92 M3 just gave me everything that the M135i didn't straight out of the box. A bit of a surprise was that the HK in the M135i is nothing like as good as the Individual audio in the E92.

OP, if you can relate to any of the above, then the E92 will be utterly refreshing.

hakhan22, pb2707, Sanseru and 2 others like this.
  16. 2 Nov 2020 at 12:36 PM #16
    Sanseru

What're you driving?:
    Colour Combo:
    I couldn't go that in depth but understand what your saying, my M135i just left me cold. I don't even have any sellers remorse!

On another note EDC on an E92 must have? nice to have? or something else?

17. 2 Nov 2020 at 12:43 PM #17
    pb2707

pb2707 On the path

What're you driving?:
    E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Jerez Black / Novillo Bamboo Beige
    I think non-EDC cars have a firmer ride as standard and it obviously can't be adjusted. EDC gives you the option of driving around in 'comfort' or really firming up the suspension when you want to. I also think it helps when it comes to re-sale because lots of people think its a must have.

I guess ultimately its down to personal preference but i think its an option worth having, especially as it doesn't really impact the purchase price that much (if at all).

Sanseru likes this.
  18. 2 Nov 2020 at 12:54 PM #18
    C1CDG

What're you driving?:
    E92 M3 with comp pack
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral white / fox red
    I’m suprised at the difference between comfort and sport on the EDC, seems much more of a difference than on the F8x.

We’ve just got an M140i yesterday and it’s fantastic. I also liked my M135i back in 2013. Not an M car of course but arguably nicer in daily driving.

19. 3 Nov 2020 at 12:09 AM #19
    ericliew

ericliew On the path

What're you driving?:
    2010 BMW M3 E92
    If you ever intend to get coilovers then don't bother with EDC. If you don't then EDC is a good option for its comfort adjustability.

That said, EDC at comfort is much harsher than my Ohlins R/T.

Sanseru likes this.
  20. 5 Nov 2020 at 10:00 PM #20
    Lee1986

Lee1986 Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    SS11 E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    SS11 Black leather
    I wouldn’t worry about a Comp pack car,can get a better base car for less then spend it on making it a far better app round road car for the same or less money.

ive got a manual with a shifter and it’s mega! Such an occasion to drive. Everyone goes mad over dct’s but the actual difference on road is minor..you can just be so consistent with a dct as you do not much else but pull a paddle.

great box and for daily drivers I can see the perks of the dct but I’ve never driver any dual clutch car that does exactly what I want they’re all a bit clumsy I find.

a 3 pedal high revving v8 will be sought after in a few years,plus it’s deffo more of an occasion to drive for maximum fun.

the shifter really made the manual
    Box something.the stock shifter is too low and it’s not the most inspiring but change that for a shifter and my god it’s heaven!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)