1. 30 Nov 2019 at 8:50 PM #101
    survival

survival On the path

Your Motor:
    E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    MC/Black
    For me there’s pros and cons. I’ve been lucky in the past 6 years or so that I’ve managed to buy cars with either minimal depreciation or appreciation.

While my E92 M3 might be the exception to that, I still won’t loose too much cash and I can’t think of something I’d replace it with.

On a more positive note I quite fancy a F80 M3 as a family/daily car. So if they drop in price as the new M3 starts selling then happy days.

Biggest issue is that I’d want a manual but my wife is currently insisting on an auto/DSG.

2. 30 Nov 2019 at 9:00 PM #102
    Mouthwash

Mouthwash On the path

Your Motor:
    E36 M3
    I was always a manual fan until I tried the DCT in the E92, we made sure the 140 was auto as well. I would love a manual again but these modern autos are something else.

3. 30 Nov 2019 at 10:04 PM #103
    Rob043

Rob043 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    It’s amazing the number of M4’s out there is so high compared to previous generations. Is that a sign that more people are doing well and able to enjoy a fast car, or is the finance world making them more accessible? Which is surely coupled with stretching the buyers to be poorer and making the finance companies richer...

jjm3uk and pony like this.
  4. 30 Nov 2019 at 10:07 PM #104
    Tjlazer

Tjlazer A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    325i e30
    Have you tried the manual with the F10 M5 stick? It's a great shift, honestly I way prefer it to dct. I couldn't get on with low speed manoeuvres and the banging through the gears so swiftly means silly speeds are achieved without any real awareness, which was very dangerous for my licence!

5. 30 Nov 2019 at 10:50 PM #105
    E92Rossco

E92Rossco Rocking a new hat

Your Motor:
    2008 E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Sparkling Graphite / Black Novillo
    i tried to sell mine a couple of times as it barely gets used, all i got were time wasting tools asking nothing about the car but what the lowest price was

in the end i plan to just chuck it at a dealer for peanuts rather than deal with private buyers. life is too short imho

6. 2 Dec 2019 at 10:53 AM #106
    makavelli

makavelli Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    LCI E92 M3 DCT Mineral White/Fox Red & Porsche Cayenne White/Cognac
    Finance mate, living expense are higher than ever and wages haven't risen in line. We have adopted a credit culture, buy now pay later, finance everything from your sofas to your car and your kettle.

Not many people can afford to buy a 65k car, however many can afford a £5k deposit and £500 a month.

Rob043, pony, tej and 1 other person like this.
  7. 2 Dec 2019 at 11:16 AM #107
    Bad Panda

Bad Panda On the path

Your Motor:
    2007 E92 M3
    One of my mates was telling me that a respected YouTuber he follows has recently bought an E9x M3 (possibly an E92) because he reckons they're only going to increase in value from now on. Whoever it was, they've got a great car collection and have been in the motor industry for a long time. It's possibly Harry Metcalfe who does Harry's Garage, but regardless he reckoned that they were a good investment because there simply won't be any cars made with that sort of engine anymore, and despite the pressure likely to be applied to owners, there'll always be people with money who want something a bit mental and iconic even if they could afford something newer and more sensible.

I was thinking of selling mine but am going to hang onto it for at least another year and keep an eye on what prices do.

lemansblue likes this.
  8. 2 Dec 2019 at 11:40 AM #108
    LaurenceT

LaurenceT On the path

Your Motor:
    2008 E90 M3
    I dont think any m3 (apart from the super limited runs) can be purchased as an asset at the moment. There is too much market uncertainty with the future of the car as we know it...

Buttertubs and pony like this.
  9. 2 Dec 2019 at 12:03 PM #109
    Paulm964

Paulm964 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    E92 M3
    I look at this two ways and I do agree the above is a worry!
    In one way, I’m going to preserve the V8 M3 as it will be a cherished thing of the past that we can enjoy (like we do now) the “horrible dirty steam trains” of the past that couldn’t be scrapped quick enough in the 60’s.
    On the Other hand, if this is indeed the end of the petrol car even as a hobby, I’m going to be getting every moment I can out of what I love and have been passionate about since I can remember. If in 10 years I’m forced to park up my worthless e92 M3 I will consider the £14k investment I’ve just made a bargain! Nothing I would rather waste my £1400 a year on.
    There are people with £1m Porsche’s with much bigger problems......

Bad Panda and Tyreman like this.
  10. 2 Dec 2019 at 12:06 PM #110
    LaurenceT

LaurenceT On the path

Your Motor:
    2008 E90 M3
    100% agree, I enjoy it every day and didnt buy it in the hope of making a profit, it just worries me people are treating these as guaranteed money makers, if that were true e36 m3's should be more expensive than the e46's as they should be following the e30 trend.

pony likes this.
  11. 2 Dec 2019 at 2:41 PM #111
    Tjlazer

Tjlazer A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    325i e30
    This is so true, there are some seriously over inflated ‘classics’ out there who don’t warrant the title. I am still in shock how much car I’ve bought with my new purchase, it’s honestly staggering how capable and how good condition my e92 is in for an 11 year old car. If it wasn’t for the I drive screen you could think it was near new, until you start the engine, then you realise it’s way better than that. I’m just gutted how slow I was to realise the brilliance of the s65 engine, I was an absolute s54 megafan but the noise this thing makes and the speed of revs is amazing! Buy enjoy and revel in your good sense. I doubt they can get cheaper but don’t go thinking it’s going to be worth £££££££!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  12. 2 Dec 2019 at 3:37 PM #112
    Boxa

Boxa Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M3
    Finance has made it appear that people are doing well, the reality is in the long run they'll be poorer as a result of lining the pockets of a finance company to pay for a car they couldn't afford.

OK that's not the case for everyone, there are exceptions and certainly some that can use finance sensibly, but the above must apply to 99% of transactions IMO.

Bad Panda, Rob043 and GolfDuck like this.
  13. 2 Dec 2019 at 3:47 PM #113
    akorn77

akorn77 On the path

Your Motor:
    2017 BMW 340i
    I agree with this philosophy. I never buy anything (excluding mortgages) unless I can afford it outright cash. It 's far less stressful in the long run. On the last car I put down 80% cash and 20% finance (the financing component is purely to boost the credit score a bit).

Finance is also useful, because if you're crap with money, bailiffs can't take it. :drive1:

14. 2 Dec 2019 at 3:56 PM #114
    tej

tej Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    TVR Cerbera 4.5
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to keep a V8 as a forever-car. I'd like to think it'll be a nice little thing to leave the boys at some point. But I also feel the reality of it would be that they won't really have an interest in the internal combustion engine. Its a phase that has come and will go. It will probably be totally unnecessary in 100 years. I wonder if anyone will be left to work on such things? Especially the more modern ones that are slaves to electronics.

15. 2 Dec 2019 at 7:07 PM #115
    Theone8181

Theone8181 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3
    I'm liking the v8, but not the lack of traction. I'm quite leaning towards a v8 panamera (turbo as well):D.

16. 2 Dec 2019 at 11:23 PM #116
    boba fett

boba fett Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    N/A
    It will be some time before the V8 will earn you money over and above what it will cost you to run, there is just to many of them, and to many special edition models, LE’s, alpines, Dakar’s, monty’s, frozen this and AK4701’s that, or what ever they are called.

They are however a very nice car and a great all round package, one that ticks more boxes than most, And are just great value for money.

Tyler and Tyreman like this.
  17. 3 Dec 2019 at 1:54 PM #117
    Tonyshepp

Tonyshepp Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    Bmw m3 e93 (63 plate)
    Colour Combo:
    Black/Black
    Exactly what boba states. As an all round car the M3 V8 in any form is a great package. Comfortable, quiet and still makes you feel special driving it. There are plenty in circulation, some shoddy examples and some great examples. For me electric cars are quick transport, M3 V8, Merc V8,Jaguar V8, Aston V8 etc etc are all an experience something that excites and makes you want to drive the car for the noise.

18. 4 Dec 2019 at 11:57 AM #118
    Bad Panda

Bad Panda On the path

Your Motor:
    2007 E92 M3
    I think the whole electric vehicle thing is still uncertain. It's sometimes easy to forget that most of the rest of the world isn't obsessed with this idea of everyone being in self-driving milk floats like Europe is. For much of the world the idea is somewhere between ridiculous and an Orwellian nightmare.
    I'm also seeing more science emerging to support the idea that all electric vehicles really do is make the environmental damage less overt, displace it so that it's out of sight, rather than preventing or even significantly reducing it.
    If hydrogen-powered cars were viable then I think that would be a whole different ballgame, but it seems that the technology for them is still just a dream.

I can still remember the diesel bubble not that long ago and now diesels are apparently the creation of Satan. Admittedly some of this is wishful thinking on my part because I'm clearly biased towards the IC engine, but even trying to remain objective, I'm still not convinced that IC is going to fade into obscurity like steam did. Or at least, not for a very long time.

19. 4 Dec 2019 at 12:05 PM #119
    delboylee

delboylee Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 Alpine Edition
    All cars £15k plus are getting cheaper quite quickly... especially the E92s, I've been watching them a while and the prices have definitely dropped from a couple years ago. Anything from £12k examples all the way up to £30k.

In any case it makes them a great buy and they're so much fun, and practical too!

20. 4 Dec 2019 at 8:09 PM #120
    Tonyshepp

Tonyshepp Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    Bmw m3 e93 (63 plate)
    Colour Combo:
    Black/Black
    Ive been looking at a manual 718 Boxster GTS (2018 plate) with minimal mileage and over 10k of options, up for circa 51k at Porsche , WBAC say it’s worth 37.5k , retail when new close to 70k.

who says Porsche’s hold their money, only the less in supply models.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)