1. 15 Aug 2018 at 8:11 AM #1
    bennn

bennn Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    B7 RS4 Avant
    Colour Combo:
    Sprint Blue / Black
    Just wondering what peoples thoughts on these are?

I'm not really getting on with my RS4 Avant and that coupled with the fact the Mrs has moved our wedding forward by a year means that I could do with some extra money and something a bit cheaper to run.

Given that she's brought the wedding forward I figure she can live with an estate now and I can get something else.

I quite like the look of the 335i's and TBH think I'm at the point where I'd prefer a flappy paddle Auto.

Anyone on here had one?

I'm not expecting it to be an M, but more like a newer faster 330ci (had 2 clubsport before and loved them)

I'm half tempted to go back to an E46 M3 but think that a 335i would probably be more suitable for the sort of driving I do and bit a bit cheaper to run too.

I want to spend about £9k max and think from what I've read would prefer a DCT LCI with a few miles on it that the older N54 engined car with a slushbox.

TBH I think I'd prefer the 135i but these seem to be a bit beyond my budget!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  2. 15 Aug 2018 at 11:19 AM #2
    RAR

RAR Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Grey
    I've been looking at these too recently. Had the E46 nearly 4 years now and while I love it I'm ready for something a bit more refined to replace the raw feeling that the E46 has in droves.

I'd be interested to hear of cutters experiences with them too....

I used to have an E90 330i and part of the e90post forum. If I recall, most issues with the 335i were HPFP or turbo related, although I'm not sure if that was just on the N54 lumps.

3. 15 Aug 2018 at 12:10 PM #3
    Londongal7

Londongal7 Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Ruby Black
    I had one before my current M3. LOVE it. As with all turbo'd cars, usual caveats around wastegates and turbos apply, but it is SO much fun, and has instant power.

Mine was specced up to the max too, was a ton of car for the money. There are days when i still miss it.

4. 15 Aug 2018 at 12:40 PM #4
    Keith

Keith Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    S65B40
    Colour Combo:
    Monte Carlo Edition
    My experience:

I had one after a series of M3s and hated it. Dull engine, dull 6 speed automatic box and soft chassis. Could have no doubt been improved by a series of careful modifications (M3 arms, suspension, quaife LSD etc), but I couldn't bare to flog a dead horse, when you can by a stock M3 and have a car that is so much more exciting, in every single element.

Mine was a low miles, LCI, but still had the N54, and I was perpetually worried about wastegates, turbos, HPFP failures (all very common at some point 60-80k), so much so, that it was the first car I added a warranty to post-purchase. It often had a slightly odd idle, despite BMW telling me there was nothing wrong. I was always waiting for something to go on it.

If you really think you have to have one, ensure you buy an N55 with DCT. It will make it better and far more reliable, but it will still be dull after the M3 once the turbo novelty wears off.

5. 15 Aug 2018 at 1:00 PM #5
    RS Grant

RS Grant Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    M3 Comp Pack
    Colour Combo:
    Space Grey with Extended Red Leather
    I had a 2011 E91 335i with the wanktronic autobox and it was the biggest disappointment I've ever had when it comes to cars... went from a mint E46 M3 Coupe that I loved and a MK1 FRS looking for a car which could cover all the bases, which on paper the 335i looked to be.

Bought it at ~30k miles from Birds Garage after it was billed as 'as close to an E91 M3 as you could get' with the full Bilstein/Quaife/Hartge treatment. When it worked properly, it was quick (until the gearbox slurred into the next gear and ruined the progress/lost boost) enough; but intake pipe issues, interior rattles, poor pre-sale prep issues, EML/Reduced Power ghosts, driveshaft/CV exploding, useless Birds Gold Warranty... all meant that I couldn't wait to get rid of that car.

I'd be really careful about jumping directly from an M-car into one, unless you're prepared for how big a step down it is, both finish-wise and dynamically.

6. 15 Aug 2018 at 2:37 PM #6
    MSG

MSG Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    Hateful Fiat 500
    LOL at wanktronic.

What Keith and Grant said.

But, I rekon a manual or the non-M DCT model ones couples with some nice dampers (ACS Sport struts and springs or Bilstein) could work. Itll lack top end grunt, and with some M3 control arms and geometry setup (not a huge piece of work), some nice tyres it could be alrite.

Itll never be an E92 M3, but then atleast it wont bleed you dry

7. 15 Aug 2018 at 2:50 PM #7
    Londongal7

Londongal7 Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Ruby Black
    I had forgotten the handling. The guys are right, the handling won't ever compare to an M, especially if you keep it on runflats. But it's still a pocket rocket.

8. 15 Aug 2018 at 3:42 PM #8
    Iatm

Iatm Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M6 Gran Coupe LCI
    I had the 335i N55 with DCT. It still has a special place in my heart. I think for the real world its a brilliant car; its fun, useable and a bargain for the performance.

I liked mine so much I kept it for a further year even though I had bought another car and sold it a couple of months ago.

Still sad to have seen it go.

9. 15 Aug 2018 at 4:33 PM #9
    bennn

Your Motor:
    B7 RS4 Avant
    Colour Combo:
    Sprint Blue / Black
    Mixed feedback then.

It sounds like it might be the suitable car for me to be honest.

Would defeat of the object of me selling the RS if I buy an E92 M3 and I'm not looking for / expecting another M. Although this will definitely be on the cards once the wedding is out of the way.

In essence I imagine the 335i is a bit like the 330ci to the E46 M3 (which is what I'm after really) cheaper to run and dare I say it a bit better suited to being a daily driver than the equivalent M3.

Sounds like my options are either buy a manual N54 that's had the turbo's done, buy a manual N54 at the arse end of the market and put a few grand aside for repairs, or if I do go for an auto paying a bit more for an N55 DCT?

Any other suggestions around the £8 mark?

10. 15 Aug 2018 at 4:42 PM #10
    Keith

Keith Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    S65B40
    Colour Combo:
    Monte Carlo Edition
    Problem is a 335i can EASILY rival the running costs of an M3, maybe exceed them. They will only give you 5mpg more on fuel (unless you do regular long runs at motorway speed), and the bills can be huge with the turbos, wastegate and HPFP known weak points, which will give you grief at some point.

So you pretty much must run a warranty (especially with a wedding on the way - you wouldnt want a £2.5k turbo bill), and they will depreciate badly compared to a E46/E9X M3 or B7 RS4. When you take those facts into consideration, they will almost certainly cost you more over the 12 month ownership period you're talking about.

The only option that makes any sense if you do have to have one, is to pay the extra and buy an N55, at least you won't have to run a warranty or worry about huge bills (the N55 has proven to be vastly more robust than the N54).

But you wont get a decent, high-spec N55 DCT for £8k.

11. 15 Aug 2018 at 5:00 PM #11
    bennn

Your Motor:
    B7 RS4 Avant
    Colour Combo:
    Sprint Blue / Black
    Surely if I have a few grand left over that will cover the wastegate issue if / when it crops up?

What else goes tits up on them? Bear in mind I know bugger all other than what a quick google threw up.

Is the HPFP expensive to replace?

What if I buy one that's had the work done already?

Servicing, tax, fuel, brakes and any other parts are surely going to be much cheaper than the equivalent M3 or the RS4 I have now?

Not really arsed about having a decent spec or one with a few miles TBH :thumbsup:

12. 15 Aug 2018 at 6:29 PM #12
    Iatm

Your Motor:
    M6 Gran Coupe LCI
    I don't agree much with the previous poster. Your obv going to get a newer car than the eq m3, service items are cheaper, servicing is cheaper. Although i agree fuel won't be cheap enough to register a postive. More importantly though a bmw warranty on the 2011 335i i had was only 600 for the year. 60 quid if on a monthly. It won't lose any more than an m3. If anything I'd say it might fair better. I had mine for 2 full years put on over 24k miles and lost 2600 in that time. So approx 1300 a year.

Thing is though talking about figures is all fine and well but you just need to do test drive them. You might hate the 335i at which point any money you spend on it will feel like a waste and if you love ab m3 any money you spend on it will seem worth while.

If your not sure about issues with these cars then i would do some reading up. They can happen and happen big.

13. 15 Aug 2018 at 6:36 PM #13
    bennn

Your Motor:
    B7 RS4 Avant
    Colour Combo:
    Sprint Blue / Black
    Yeah agreed. Let's also not forget how much it costs if you get an E92 M3 and the bottom end starts knocking.....

Regarding fuel I would thought a worthwhile saving. Was getting 27 ish out of my M3, 21ish out of my RS4 so gotta be better than that?!

14. 15 Aug 2018 at 7:13 PM #14
    Iatm

Your Motor:
    M6 Gran Coupe LCI
    I guess it depends on your driving style/usage. I got 24mpg out of mine across my ownership.
    I didn't try to be economical with it. On a run it would easily do 30mpg+ at the speed limit, i didn't sit there for long tho :muttley:
    Gets boring!

15. 15 Aug 2018 at 8:24 PM #15
    AdamM15

AdamM15 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    54 M3
    My turbos didn’t hold much boost but I still loved the car lol

It was really economical which was strange

16. 16 Aug 2018 at 2:16 PM #16
    snaeem155

snaeem155 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Honda s2000
    I've had my E93 M Sport for over a year now and I personally love it.

Its fast enough and is a very comfortable and I average around 21mpg with mixed driving.

I got a warranty on it (£630 per year with BMW) and my water pump died on me which cost over £1800 to replace.

I think now my boost solenoids are going so its going in for that soon.

I would say get one BUT definitely get a warranty - if it is under 60,000 miles it will be cheaper to cover.

Doesn't sound half bad either.

17. 16 Aug 2018 at 3:37 PM #17
    Iatm

Your Motor:
    M6 Gran Coupe LCI
    snaeem155 that echos my ownership experience too. My first year MPG was bang on 21 mixed 50 50.

I think it sounds great and that was on the standard exhaust I imagine a performance exhaust from BMW would make it sound even better.

Again I agree warranty is a must for the big ticket items.

18. 16 Aug 2018 at 4:40 PM #18
    doug16v

doug16v Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2010 M3 Comp Pack
    i will say this as you mentioned one - i had a 135i in manual with the n54 from 40k miles up to about 60k and it never missed a beat

it was very fast too

if you can stretch to one i would definitely recommend, wish i never sold it. got rid for 12k about 3 years ago and they still go for that now!

[​IMG]

19. 18 Aug 2018 at 6:13 PM #19
    Gazza51

Gazza51 On the path

Your Motor:
    BMW Z4M Coupe, 2003 BMW M3 CSL, E93 335i, BMW Z1, BMW Z3M Roadster S54
    My missus has a E93 N54 DCT M Sport and I love it, boring in full auto but hit the sport button and flappys and hang on tight

Ditch the runflats.

It will never compare to an M because it isn’t an M so don’t compare.

We do get the fuel pump error and limp mode if you go on/off/on the throttle very quickly, just switch off and all is good again.

20. 21 Aug 2018 at 2:03 PM #20
    bennn

Your Motor:
    B7 RS4 Avant
    Colour Combo:
    Sprint Blue / Black
    Decided to swerve this based on the above.

Didn't know the bloody water pumps cost over a grand!

Not for me at the moment I don't think. More than likely going to go back to a Honda!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)