Discussion in 'Member Rides' started by BMR, Dec 18, 2020.
£170+ vat each!
DVLA can be told of the change in engine number and size plus the change from auto the manual but this is not required. What is is declarimg everything to insurance which as fare as their concerned its just a heavily modified 540i touring.
Most specialist insurance companies will cover something like this.
Bloody hell! I can't understand why they are so expensive when it's just a piece of plastic. I just wonder what the copies are like in terms of lining up with the arch liner and bumper?
Copies are crap. Poor fitting and made of the sort of plastic you would get in a box of Milk tray chocolate!
BMW have got you by the balls!
What a great job stunning just perfect
Legendary. Its just so desirable
Oh my god! That looks spectacular
Starting to work through the snag list and quite an important one with the weather we are having at the moment is the AC or lack of. When it was in use and before the 540i was pulled apart the AC was working fine so despite my usual modus operandi of replacing everything with new, the condenser was left to be reused but a new receiver drier was fitted after the system was exposed to atmosphere during the conversion.
The moment the AC machine was attached to the car it was apparent there was a leak from the condenser so new one was ordered up last week and it became apparent when the old one was removed that it was clearly past its best! With that fitted up the system gassed up its now blowing ice cold as it should be.
A lucky forum find was a pair of genuine BMW accessory E39 touring specific roof rails.
Another lucky find on ebay was a set of four genuine BMW accessory bike racks which were attached to a pair of E39/E46 saloon roof rails which I swapped over to the touring rails.
All in aid of pressing the wagon into family use!
With the dead line to get the car on the road in time for the E39 M5 meet there were a few a few things that I left to address later that wouldn't stop me using the car but needed sorting. To get the engine up and running I used the donor M5's EWS immobiliser module, ignition barrel and key to work with the M5 DME (engine ECU) which allowed it to fire up straight away. Obviously this isn't ideal having two different keys and using the M5 EWS with its VIN and VO (Vehicle order, list of options fitted to the car) stored when its a 540i..... more on that in future.
Using the excellent binary modification tool from www.ecuworx.co.uk meant I could switch off the EWS input on the M5's DME so I could switch back to the 540i's EWS, ignition barrel meaning all working off the original 540i key.
While using the tool I also removed the 155mph speed limiter, switched off the post cat O2 sensors for now (as mine has no cats) and switched off the Secondary Air Pump meaning quieter cold starts.
The modified BIN file being flashed onto the DME using MSS flasher.
All working off one key now, no post cat O2 sensor faults and hopefully less annoyed neighbours when setting off for early Sunday morning hoons.
What an incredible build! Well done, great read
Going back to a previous picture I posted of the M5 cluster, it was not happy! Lots of dead pixels meant the mileage and check control messaged were unreadable, the fuel and temp gauges under read, the rev counter was inaccurate plus the ABS/DSC lights didn't work. Something was seriously amiss inside that cluster.
After recommendation by a few people on one of the E39 FB pages and a chat with the man himself, I sent the cluster to Keith at AK speedo to see what was up with it and upon taking it apart it was clear what the issue was. Various parts of the circuit board and motors had corrosion, some of the worst he had seen. Who knows how this cluster ended up like this but needless to say it was not saveable.
With it being an early black face M5 cluster instead of the later grey face one it would be a shame to bin it as they are hard to find now and quite sought after. Keith came up with a solution and it meant finding a donor cluster with a suitable SW and HW number so a call to a BMW breaker I know turned up a cluster from a 2003 530d which met the requirements so that was sent up to Keith to cannibalise for the relevant parts to make up a fully working black face M5 cluster.
With the cluster now fully functional with no dead pixels the next thing to do was program it with the 540i VIN number and milage so everything tallied up with the cars physical VIN number rather than have mismatched VIN's in the cars control units and the incorrect mileage for the car (not the engine) stored.
Fitted back into the car and coded up with the cars VO matched to the EWS's VO so everything is now matched and working correctly with no tamper dot, mismatched VIN's, VO's or milages.
This is the kind of thread that first got me interested in forums. So glad there's still people taking on these kind of projects in so much detail and documenting them.
I've been reading your progress in Straight Six but there is more detail in this excellent thread.
The lengths you've gone to, to achieve a factory finish are incredible
I was approached by the club for them to do a four part feature and as its going in a magazine they are limited for space so have to condense it a bit to get it in.
And thanks, that was always the objective to make it look and feel factory.