Draining carbs

Robw9688

Wearing official robes
Oct 19, 2018
Reaction score
What're you driving?
02 bmw m3
Hello, I’m just getting around to putting my old r6 away for a few months it’s been sat on my drive covered and only been out a few times this year.
Just wondering is it actually important to drain fuel from the carbs?
I’ve given it a good clean and lube up, checked tyres ect should I lift the tank, turn the tap off and let it run out of fuel or is it not worth it. I’m cold and pretty tired of being out on the drive with my tools now lol going for a brew

ewant81

On the path
Jul 26, 2020
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2020 M2 Comp
Having had to clean out carbs with stale fuel in the past, I would do it as it's a 5min job for peace of mind. More so if the bike is going to sit for many months. Having to strip carbs and clean them because the fuel has gone manky and blocked a jet is an almighty pain in the ass.

I so much prefer fuel injected bikes as they don't suffer from stale fuel as badly!

Robw9688

Wearing official robes
Oct 19, 2018
Reaction score
What're you driving?
02 bmw m3
Having had to clean out carbs with stale fuel in the past, I would do it as it's a 5min job for peace of mind. More so if the bike is going to sit for many months. Having to strip carbs and clean them because the fuel has gone manky and blocked a jet is an almighty pain in the ass.

I so much prefer fuel injected bikes as they don't suffer from stale fuel as badly!
I had them cleaned and balanced up end of 2019 havnt done many miles since. Next bike will be fuel injected, I bought this as my first bike because it was cheap and I’ve always liked the look of them. It’s been spot on overall but its big and slow compared to anything that’s been out in the last decade lol

ewant81

On the path
Jul 26, 2020
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2020 M2 Comp
I had them cleaned and balanced up end of 2019 havnt done many miles since. Next bike will be fuel injected, I bought this as my first bike because it was cheap and I’ve always liked the look of them. It’s been spot on overall but its big and slow compared to anything that’s been out in the last decade lol

The R6 is a classic bike now, and I’m sure is a blast. The value on good condition ones should only go up now. There is something quite satisfying about the throttle feel of bikes on carbs, but fuel injection is so much more robust and dependable lol

Robw9688

Wearing official robes
Oct 19, 2018
Reaction score
What're you driving?
02 bmw m3
The R6 is a classic bike now, and I’m sure is a blast. The value on good condition ones should only go up now. There is something quite satisfying about the throttle feel of bikes on carbs, but fuel injection is so much more robust and dependable lol
i should get back what i paid for it 3 years ago easily. Blokes that do pre injection class racing really like them

Users who are viewing this thread