DIY: Upgrading Harman Kardon (HK) Audio

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by DoZZa, Feb 23, 2010.

1. 22 Aug 2013 at 12:59 PM #41
    Trickster

Trickster Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    BMW Car
    Neilbm - search for tennis ball mod, will sort all your rattles without removing the HK "sub"

2. 22 Aug 2013 at 1:38 PM #42
    neilbm10

neilbm10 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW m3
    Hahahahahaha love that "mod" will try that later, thanks for the heads up.

3. 17 Oct 2013 at 7:53 PM #43
    Seanbmwm3

Seanbmwm3 Rocking a new hat

Your Motor:
    2002 M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    Topaz Blue, Laguna Seca Blue
    Just completed this. And well impressed with the results. Thanks DoZZa.

4. 11 May 2015 at 12:05 PM #44
    DJMT

DJMT A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2004 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Red
    Help please

HI guys,

Ive just bought a 2006 E46 M3 Convertible with a NAV and a HK system but as you all know it lacks bass especially in a Convertible!!

Anyways great post! I have done 99% of this to upgrade and add a 12" JL audio W12 with a Rockford Fosgate punch 200.

The part I have fallen on is when putting the grey and black plugs back into the plastic chassis before plugging it back into the Harmon Kardon factory amp shown in the pic below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basically they will go into the chassis either way and I don't want to blow the KH amp up by putting them in the wrong way!

Like a true giddy fool i forgot to take note of which way they go back in to the KH amp!!

Please HELP!!

5. 11 May 2015 at 12:54 PM #45
    Seanbmwm3

Your Motor:
    2002 M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    Hi mate great upgrade I've done this well part way through.but I got rid of the amp completely. The picture above with the plugs next to the holder is the rite way to put em bk in. So the black is in the left. When Looking at it from the bk of the holder. If you get wat I mean mate.

6. 11 May 2015 at 1:48 PM #46
    DJMT

DJMT A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2004 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Red
    Ye i do get what you mean mate!!!

Its been a nightmare to be honest, I only disconnected the battery negative and the started taking the rear apart and removed all the rear door cards etc, tapped into all the wires and then begun putting it back together and when I begun to screw the cage with the amp back to the rear quarter or the body it sparked!! I went to the boot and the neg had touched the body and made a connection!!! :(

It subsequently had blewn 2 fuses and the HK amp smelt a little like burning :(

So I had a look and it had cooked a few fuses so I replaced the fuses and checked everything works: NAV, ROOF, HEADUNIT etc all was fine appart from there is no sound from anything, so I have ordered another HK amp to replace the cooked one. (I take it that its the HK amp and not the BM54 that is dead?)

I was also going to ask what your thought were mod wise, what would you recommend to do? Some people say headers and de cats + remap to keep a standard look with max gains, others tell me to leave it standard as the gains are minimal for the ££££ and some say just do a cat back system and a remap for decent gains.

I am a bit undecided to be honest any input is welcome :)

7. 11 May 2015 at 2:10 PM #47
    Seanbmwm3

Your Motor:
    2002 M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    Yup I had few hiccups whilst doing this upgrade. I got my wires crossed lol. But no serious damage was caused. Well if you have done everything correctly and you did the pre-outs correctly then you should still get sound mate. Even with the hk amp disconnected. As mine is completely removed.

And on the performance upgrades. I've heard the same as you. That the amount of £££'s it costs to get a bit of extra power. Is not worth the money. Apart from a CSL intake. Which gives it an amazing roar.

If you wanted power that was more serious than it already is then a supercharger is the way to go. But from what I've seen they are like 5k plus.

8. 11 May 2015 at 3:13 PM #48
    DJMT

DJMT A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2004 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Red
    HI Bud

I just tapped into the wires & didn't cut them for the rear left and right for the Rockford punch 200.2.

However after the sparking nightmare i put it back together to check the roof etc was ok and that I havnt killed that as well, then I ordered another HK amp which will be with me by Wednesday so Ill be trying again on Saturday.

But ye your correct I should get some response from the Sub as the connections were taken before they get to the HK amp, I just took the burnt smell and fried fuses as it was the HK amp that was dead...... Fingers crosses :)

About the mods ive seen the Carbon airboxs on ebay for about £700 ish and I was thinking about that and a Alpha N tune ecu from from ebay, ive also seen some headers that look ok let ,me know what you think?!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191577122834?lpid=82

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111666168343?euid=343023f61bbc4bf199b70e42b233191b&cp=1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-e46-M...539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a5a9d843

The ecu mod looks like a great addition as I heard that these guys are the best at remapping M3s?!

Has anyone else done any of these mods......... I just thought that for £1000 ish i should be able to get 20 -30 HP out of mine?

9. 11 May 2015 at 10:05 PM #49
    Seanbmwm3

Your Motor:
    2002 M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    Hey pal Soz been a bit mad today. I take it you used scotch clips then. I have no experience with them. I cut mine for a more secure connection. As for the eBay listings they all look good and some cheap mods. But to be honest mine is completely standard on the performance side of things. So ya probably best asking in another section mate.

10. 12 May 2015 at 5:22 PM #50
    Seanbmwm3

Your Motor:
    2002 M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    Oh just a thought to you have a hi to low level converter or does your amp already support this. eBay item number 191228346533.

11. 24 Apr 2017 at 5:52 PM #51
    sharpz44

sharpz44 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    325 ci M sport
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  12. 26 Apr 2017 at 2:27 PM #52
    Jclc84

Jclc84 On the path

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 e46 2004
    Does anyone have list of what parts I would need for this, Like which amp and converter is required.
    I would like to use a active amp & sub to save on space but I can't seem to find out if they're differential balance input or not.
    thanks

13. 26 Apr 2017 at 3:57 PM #53
    ASONI

ASONI Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 E46 M3 / SMG / COUPE
    Colour Combo:
    Imola Red / Black Heated Nappa Leather
    I had the HK system and it wasn't bad but simply upgrading the head unit and adding a sub gives a huge improvement in sound, to the point I don't need to bother doing anything with the speakers now. I went with alpine CarPlay unit ilx-700 and a jl sub plus small amp. Also removed the standard hk sub basket.

14. 27 Apr 2017 at 5:53 AM #54
    sharpz44

sharpz44 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    325 ci M sport
    What sub and amp model did you use please,I've upgraded the head unit and speakers.cheers

15. 18 Apr 2018 at 9:45 PM #55
    sharpz44

sharpz44 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    325 ci M sport
    I know this is an extremely old thread but would like to ask a question,I have e46 with hk, have a Kenwood headunit and gladden speakers install,I want to install an Alpine SWE-815 sub which has a built in amp ,would I need a line out converter I could I just tap in to those wires as described any help would be much appreciated.thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)