Deeg's E46 2003 Titan Silver coupe

Discussion in 'Member Rides' started by Deeg01, Oct 19, 2017.

1. 26 Apr 2018 at 3:36 PM #21
    mr_vys

mr_vys Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    bicycle
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon black / Black nappa
    Awesome work there mate!

2. 26 Apr 2018 at 6:35 PM #22
    grchmason

grchmason Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Phoenix Yellow / Kiwi
    Great progress!

Arches look loads better and gives that bit of piece of mind knowing thats done!

3. 30 Apr 2018 at 2:05 PM #23
    Deeg01

Deeg01 On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titan silver / Black
    Thanks guys.

Forgot to state also Paul enabled M-Track Mode when he was tinkering about with the coding the other night.

Hopefully get a chance to try it out soon...

4. 16 May 2018 at 9:59 PM #24
    Deeg01

Deeg01 On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titan silver / Black
    Latest update today.

MOT passed for another year. Needed a wee bit of work before hand, new power steering hoses and cv boot repair to the drive shaft. Then at the last minute we noticed a snapped eibach spring at the rear. Thankfully through a friend of a friend i managed to source a set of oem rear springs to get me through the MOT.

End result was passing with no advisories.
    Ready to rock for another year!!

5. 22 Aug 2018 at 9:30 AM #25
    Deeg01

Deeg01 On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titan silver / Black
    So it's been a little while since I last updated due to various reasons...

And things have taken a dramatic turn!!!

For those that follow me on insta - @M3D1EEG, Shameless plug, you will be aware of the situation...

So I ordered up the parts to do the bottom end bearings, including replacing the conrod bolts on an early model engine due to the higher mileage, 129K.
    [​IMG]

This was scheduled for Mid July, where I would be visiting Paule Claude or Ptek for the work to be compeleted in Glasgow. Early start for me to drive down there from Aberdeen so we could get the work completed in one day...

Arrived on time and Paul got straight to it, we briefly discussed a hesitation I had between 2-3k Revs under acceleration, I was thinking this could have been coil packs as the head gasket was worked on last year before I bought the vehicle.
    Paul did a vanos test and it all came back spot on so that ruled that out also.

However during the strip down pull noticed deposits on plug #6, he advised to do a compression test just to rule everything out.

[​IMG]

Cyl 6 - 180
    Cyl 5 - 170
    Cyl 4 - 170
    Cyl 3 - 178
    Cyl 2 - 150
    Cyl 1 - 148

To say I was devastated was an understatement!
    We decided to push on with the bottom end bearings anyway as this still needed fixed.

While Paul worked on that I worked in the background trying to figure out how I was going to get the headgasket sorted, again, before a charity event I had in a few weeks.
    The HG work was previously done by Autobhan in HAlesown before I bought the car, and I thought I would chance my luck by speaking to them, even though I was not a customer of theirs. All credit to Rob at Autobhan as soon as we spoke he was instantly offering to fix the issue and was offering to do it at his cost!
    Amazing offer from them considering I had never actually paid them a penny for the work in the first place!

Hoever things took another turn as Paul continued on with the strip down of the bottom end.

The conrod bolt heads were found to be partially rounded:

[​IMG]

Luckily I bought the replacment bolts instead of following BMW's tech advice and reuse the existing bolts. Thanks to Paul for that advice!

However as he removed the first shell the extent of the wear was obvious:
    #1 - Bottom
    [​IMG]

#1 - Top
    [​IMG]

But the worst was yet to come...

Paul also found some shards of metal in the oil pan...

[​IMG]

And Also the damage to the crank...
    [​IMG]

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This was the point where my day could not get any worse...

The damage to the top side of the crank was worse, but due to the angle we could not get a decent picture.
    The decision was made to button everything up as it was, and I would be reconsidering my options.

Paul made the car road worthy again, and I nursed it back up the road to Aberdeen, where it has sat for the last 5 weeks since that day.

I have since phoned around every BMW speciliast to get advice and quotes for complete rebuilds...

In the background I have a friend who works at a BMW Parts dept and did some homework for me, on his own accord.
    He had sourced me a new engine from the factory in Germany, and had managed to get a fantastic price for me as a one off offer from BMW.

I was in a position that I could not refuse this offer and I have since bought this engine fro the factory in Germnay...

it has now also arrived in the UK and we are just waiting to fit it, hopefully in the next couple of weeks...

how stunning is this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A complete block with Vanos, top and bottom end complete, Waterpump, thermostat and oil filter housing etc.

I honestly cannot thank Douglas Parks BMW of Hamilton enough for this fantastic opportunity of this engine! I have been called mad by work colleagues, and even family have said I should have just put a match and a gallon of petrol to the car as it would have been cheaper. However I have made the decision this is a restoration and I am committed to this project now.

The car is currently sat out side the house waiting on Paul fitting the engine now.
    At the same time we will be replacing the clutch, coil packs, all belts tensioners, engine mounts, gearbox mounts as well so it is all good to go.

I have also recently bought an Eventuri second hand after it appeared on my Facebook feed and an impulse moment meant it arrived a few days later..

[​IMG]

While I have been gathering up these pieces, I have also replaced all the springs with Intrax after I broke a rear Eibach one earlier in the year:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So hopefully the next update I have is that we have the new engine in and running. Then it will be a full running in procedure followed by 5K mile oil changes from now on.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  6. 27 Aug 2018 at 9:47 AM #26
    Crapmk3

Crapmk3 On the path

Your Motor:
    03 BMW M3 Individual
    Colour Combo:
    Black leather blue stitching
    Never knew you could buy a brand new S54 from the factory. It looks great .

7. 27 Aug 2018 at 12:11 PM #27
    Deeg01

Deeg01 On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titan silver / Black
    There were 2 engines sitting there at the time this was ordered, it is actually a remanufactured engine by BMW. But I'm not going to complain with that as it still comes with a 2 year warranty and all the associated parts, Vanos water pump etc.

8. 14 Sep 2018 at 11:02 AM #28
    Deeg01

Deeg01 On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titan silver / Black
    The New Engine!!!

So last weekend I travelled down to Glasgow on Sunday night to prepare for an early start the next morning with Paul from PTek.

The task in hand - Full engine swap for a brand new S54 supplied from Germany....
    [​IMG]

At the same time, I decided it was best to replace a number of other parts, Coil packs, braided VANOS line, engine mounts, belts, tensioners, gearbox mounts, clutch, DMF and gearbox oil. I also took the opportunity to fit the 540i SSK kit as well.

[​IMG]

We started off by stripping out all the trim and associated parts to get to the main block it's self.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once we had access to the main block it's self we decided to remove the gearbox and engine in one piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While Paul went about removing the gearbox and replacing the clutch and DMF I went about cleaning up parts and the engine bay.

Throttle bodies before and after:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the plastics being cleaned up.
    [​IMG]
    and heat shields being polished up
    [​IMG]

Then it was on to preping the new engine with all the parts we were refitting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we were ready to drop the new block and gearbox back in to the car:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After everything was all bolted up, and we had a live connection again Paul set up about a quick refresh of the ECU resetting ignition adaptions etc,
    [​IMG]

Then we were ready for the first start, glad to say she started up first time! Running sweet! timing was spot on straight from the factory.

Then it was a quick tidy up, and a pit stop for a top up of VPower before a drive back up to Aberdeen on Tuesday night, home for 2:30AM Wednesday morning!
    [​IMG]

I cannot thank Paul From PTek enough for the effort he put in and for letting me assist, and clean up things as he removed them. Not sure if I was a help or a hindrance but I appreciated him allowing me to be part of the process, not sure how many people can say they have fitted a brand new S54 straight from the factory to their own car???
    Also a huge thank you to Douglas Park BMW in Hamilton for the great service throughout this whole task, from supplying the engine it's self to last minute requests when we realised we missed some nuts or bolts etc. Honestly these guys were superb!

Now I have the joy of breaking in the new engine, full 1200 mile running in has started again and I will be getting a fresh running in service completed. currently at 300 miles of the 1200 miles already after my drive from Glasgow to Aberdeen and a couple daily commutes to work.

9. 14 Sep 2018 at 11:21 AM #29
    ns38

ns38 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    e90 m3 dct
    Colour Combo:
    Ruby black individual
    That's awesome, rare to see an e46 getting attention like this nowadays.

Hope you can rack up the miles and enjoy the beast.

10. 14 Sep 2018 at 12:36 PM #30
    Jimbo25

Jimbo25 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46
    Colour Combo:
    Laguna Seca Blue / Black
    That's amazing - would never have thought you'd still get a new buttoned up S54 - the crate it's sat in has come straight from the factory, they use that pink colour for all lineside boxes/parts storage.

Amazing work, if you ever write the car off can I have first dibs on the engine please :D It'd be really interesting to note a couple of things, first how quiet is the vanos/top end? Does it kangaroo at all, i.e. are the things we put up with day to day on our cars still there on yours? I guess a lot of it is not actually to do with the engine hardware itself, but the VANOS and valvetrain noise really intrigues me.

11. 14 Sep 2018 at 1:11 PM #31
    Deeg01

Deeg01 On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titan silver / Black
    Thanks, yeah trying my hardest to break her in ASAP so I can open her up again.

You'll have to join the queue for the engine I'm afraid, already been asked 3 or 4 times!!:muttley:
    I have a video of the first start up and her running once warmed up, I'll find away to put it up on here.
    Will also be doing a power run for a good base line once the running in service is comeplete

12. 14 Sep 2018 at 2:35 PM #32
    B Tank

B Tank Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2003 M3 SMG Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Imola
    That engine looks stunning!

13. 22 Sep 2018 at 9:38 PM #33
    Deeg01

Deeg01 On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titan silver / Black
    Thank you. Certainly runs sweet so far!

14. 22 Sep 2018 at 9:49 PM #34
    Deeg01

Deeg01 On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titan silver / Black
    Ok so this week a couple more jobs tackled.

First up I was booked in at MB garage services for full alignment given that I’d fitted new springs and we dropped the subframe for the engine swap.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I didn’t get a before print out, they did say the rear was up at 3degrees for the camber.

[​IMG]

She drives like a dream now. Wasn’t bad before but can certainly feel the difference after the alignment.

This weekend I decided to finish off freshening up the engine bay

New pollen filter cover:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it shows I need to get a new scuttle panel!!

Also took the time to recline up the bumper and try and sort out the sag and when we fitted the engine I forgot to connect up the screenwash level sensor :mad::mad:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to also give the engine bay and underside of the bonnet a clean up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dressed the engine bay with aerospace 303 and give the paint work a cleanse with auto finesse Tripple.

Off out to a cars n coffee tomorrow so hopefully get some pics there of the whole car... if I remember!

15. 22 Sep 2018 at 10:01 PM #35
    grchmason

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Phoenix Yellow / Kiwi
    Tripple is heavy in fillers great but on Titan Silver I always think seal in with a true synthetic like Zaino or Werkstatt and really gives a glass like finish!

But either way car looks fantastic and great job on the engine bay 303 takes some beating!

Looking forward to the next update my friend!

16. 22 Sep 2018 at 10:20 PM #36
    Deeg01

Deeg01 On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titan silver / Black
    Thanks. I only used the tripple on the paint work in the engine bay. Exterior will be getting full machine polished over the winter hopefully.

Agree about it being full of fillers though. Great for a quick fix!

17. 22 Sep 2018 at 11:10 PM #37
    grchmason

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Phoenix Yellow / Kiwi

I love tripple and really as used correctly it's a great product!

Your M3 really is a credit to you and it shows please keep the updates coming :peace:

All the best

18. 21 Oct 2018 at 3:31 PM #38
    Deeg01

Deeg01 On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titan silver / Black
    So that's the running in service completed, 1,400 miles completed since fitting the factory supplied S54, went down to Glasgow to speak to the guys at BMW Parks of Hamilton, great service as usual and I cannot recommend them highly enough.

clean bill of health given for the engine, couple little things for me to address, bit of wear in one of the front ball joints, and brake backing plates loose so will be fixing them over winter.

On the way back to Aberdeen I had booked an a spot with SOS Motorsport at Falkirk on there dyno. This was to give me a base line for my engine and also to see exactly how much power a factory supplied engine puts out. We all know that it should be 338HP, however speaking with Paul Claude, he says on the same dyno he only ever sees around the 315 mark, that included his as well. So interesting to see how much is lost with age and mileage on these cars.

[​IMG]

here's a wee video also of the run...

So what was the result...

[​IMG]

Got to admit I'm absolutely delighted with that. it now gives me a great starting point for the minor tweaks I'm planning, decat pipes and Eventuri waiting to be fitted over winter, and in the spring of the year I'll be getting Paul to work his magic on it with a live mapping session on the same dyno set up.

19. 13 Nov 2018 at 10:47 AM #39
    Deeg01

Deeg01 On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titan silver / Black
    Brief update from the weekend, finally got round to fitting my Eventuri intake...

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love the sound from it!

Evil Six and theworkerb like this.
  20. 13 Nov 2018 at 11:48 AM #40
    Rob043

Rob043 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    Excellent thread, just had a read through it all. The car is looking great for it, well done.

Deeg01 likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)