Dealer Spark Plugs change. Did they mess up the Camshaft Position Sensor?

Discussion in 'E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)' started by Sylonien, Aug 9, 2019.

1. 10 Sep 2019 at 6:31 PM #41
    Deep pan

Deep pan Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E90 Lci 6MT
    Colour Combo:
    Alpine white, that old chestnut interior.
    Real oem only list one type of oil for the m3 diff (and that includes FM) which Carries the same part number as the service bulletin posted above.
    Other than aftermarket options and a brief search, I can't see any OEM FM on it's own listed on the net.

Granted they probably do another type of oil for different models, but i don't believe it is in any interest for a main dealer mechanic to intentionally put the wrong stuff in to save the dealership money, the stuff listed for the m3 probably costs them the same anyway..

Additionally, the service bulletin also states:

The special oil only develops its full benefit after driving approximately 1000 km

Why is anyones guess, I'm no oil expert, but until that distance has been covered, they have a "legitimate"? Service bulletin to get out of it/ hide behind, before taking into account of the leak.

2. 10 Sep 2019 at 8:43 PM #42
    AgentB

AgentB Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2011 M3 CP KA401
    I had PMW in Chelmsford service my diff which was making the diff noise occasionally last year. I seem to recall the BMW FM booster fluid was in a small container with the typical BMW white label on it.

The invoice showed 1.1L of Castrol Syntrax 75w140 for 22 pounds and the BMW FM booster fluid for 27.00 (no part number) - Diff takes about 1.2L ?

I remember them saying it was a lot cheaper than buying it from BMW ready mixed. I can see why the dealers use ready mixed because the dealer muppets will put in two or zero or half etc. and it takes extra time, more complicated and they can charge more for less work...

edit: had a quick look at the invoice in the other thread - the part number for the diff oil is the correct one with the +FM. 83 22 2 282 583

In the past - https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threads/expensive-diff-oil-or-just-the-additive.184807/ :thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  3. 11 Sep 2019 at 12:25 AM #43
    Sylonien

Sylonien Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2010 BMW M3 E92
    Colour Combo:
    Alpine White / Black
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I'm still on the case, trying to raise it with the service manager.

Look, I know the general consensus online seem to be "BMW dealer is bad..." but I've been with this dealer since early 2012 and to be fair. Assume they have done their job properly in the past, things seem to be fine with my past experiences. This is the first time it's gone so wrong.

I don't believe that every single main dealer, every technician in the whole UK are idiots. Surely? I don't want to prejudge people until some has happened and this is the first time out of the 7 years.

And like someone pointed out, whether we want to accept this or not, people do look at FMBWSH and that is the only reason why I back too for the general service.

4. 11 Sep 2019 at 11:03 AM #44
    Mikeb1984

Mikeb1984 Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    Nothing
    So from what your saying above I take it you’d use them again? :bh:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  5. 11 Sep 2019 at 12:08 PM #45
    Hopz121

Hopz121 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 BMW M3 Manual
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey with Grey leather
    I get the same impression :blink:

I wouldn’t be happy in the slightest, I’d have gone to get a refund and found a decent Indy to sort out this mess!

Most petrol heads will see through full BMW history and most inc myself would rather see a well respected Indy stamp and invoice in the service book instead!

Not the first time they have put the wrong oil in an M Car and it won’t be the last!

Ant Man likes this.
  6. 11 Sep 2019 at 1:12 PM #46
    Ant Man

Ant Man Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 Individual Edition
    Colour Combo:
    Santorini Blue / black with blue stitching
    Agree on all points.

What I find most worrying is the complete lack of attention to detail and the oil. There is a big sticker under the bonnet that states 'use 10W60 only'.

7. 11 Sep 2019 at 9:22 PM #47
    Iain

Iain Staff Member Moderator

Your Motor:
    AMG estate
    I am from Bristol, and though I never used dick loves-it for servicing they were mustard on parts and very helpful, they must have seriously slipped in the last 10 years or you have had a particularly duff job.

8. 14 Sep 2019 at 5:21 PM #48
    Sylonien

Your Motor:
    2010 BMW M3 E92
    Colour Combo:
    Alpine White / Black
    No. But at least they should fix the issues they have caused surely? And maybe even refund me my original labour cost, the very least.

Like I said, I don't know why it's gone so wrong this time. Has it got anything to do with the fact that I used the online booking service instead of talking to a real person in the first place? Coincident?

Update

I have contacted the service manager and we are in discussion on how to fix this mess. I have also received some DMs from some knowledgable people.

At this stage, I want to thank every one here for the suggestions, feedback and especially the one pointing me out about the wrong oil (which they have admitted now!). Thank you. Too much going on at the moment that I completely missed it.

Question
    Just a question, do you guys still want me to report back if I have some updates?

I seem to get the impression that I'm getting quite some flack from "you idiot, shouldn't have taken it to BMW etc..." like somehow I deserved it and its' my fault.

Goldysingh likes this.
  9. 14 Sep 2019 at 7:44 PM #49
    Goldysingh

Goldysingh Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    BMW E92 M3 comp pack & E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral White & Silver Grey

Yes pls keep us posted, ignore the haters, you can’t please everyone on the here and some people will have different opinions, I for one would have taken mine to bmw, purely because you have a solid base to go back to them if/when they mess things up.

Dek likes this.
  10. 14 Sep 2019 at 9:30 PM #50
    Mike M3

Mike M3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2007 M3
    Definately keep us updated on this, like you I keep going back to the same MD and would not accept this level of service.

11. 15 Sep 2019 at 3:32 AM #51
    Sylonien

Your Motor:
    2010 BMW M3 E92
    Colour Combo:
    Alpine White / Black
    Thanks mate. :oops2:

;)

I sent a very lengthy email with an PDF attachment documenting fully what has happened so far.

They have come back with an equal long email explaining and admitting that they messed up big time.

Key points so far:

- they admitted everthing
    - oil has been changed from Castrol to Shell (now days apparently)
    - the wrong grade of oil was used :bh:
    - they should have road tested the oil leve and diff noise 1st day
    - they should have change the diff oil the second time I went back
    - they offer to fully change the oils
    - with courtesy car
    - assigned their "best" M guy on it from now on

I haven't taken the offer yet.

I have yet to clarify about refund for initial labour cost
    And how on earth they quoted me for an output shaft leak at £700 when the part is only like £12 or so. :blink: Which is also not related to the diff noise. But somehow tried to convince me to take up the "generous" offer at a discounted price of £500 the second time I went in.

12. 15 Sep 2019 at 8:57 AM #52
    GolfDuck

GolfDuck Staff Member Moderator

Your Motor:
    Carless & witless
  13. 16 Sep 2019 at 4:57 PM #53
    AgentB

Your Motor:
    2011 M3 CP KA401
    At least it's heading in a better direction, but it's not much of a deal to be honest and yes feel free to share the tale....

I think reasonable questions to ask are

why did this happen?
    was the one who did the service the "next best" M guy, or was he was the "best" but they let him go last week?
    what will stop it from recurring?

I think as a minimum i'd still be bringing my own oils in, not paying for their oils, walking into reception when it is busy carrying them in and making it known - you put the wrong oils in my car - these are the right oils.

There is no bad side to knowing a good indie, even if you get a dealer to do regular servicing. Might be a good time to make a call and ask them how much to replace a that £12 part.:thumbsup:

14. 18 Sep 2019 at 8:27 PM #54
    Sylonien

Your Motor:
    2010 BMW M3 E92
    Colour Combo:
    Alpine White / Black
    They gave me a long email explanation. But not sure if I can share it yet at this stage, still sorting things out, back and forth. I'll share the full story once there some more positive update.

But for sure, the output shaft issue. I definitely will be going to indie because of cost and trust issue. It sounds to me, they didn't get actually get their "M technician" on the job in the first place, because they have assigned someone else now that they claim are very knowledgeable. Did they get a muppet to fix it in the first place?

15. 18 Sep 2019 at 8:33 PM #55
    AgentB

Your Motor:
    2011 M3 CP KA401
    M is for muppet.:thumbsup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)