DCT Auto or Paddles?

Discussion in 'E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)' started by Scutch, Oct 16, 2017.

1. 17 Oct 2017 at 11:03 PM #21
    AlexZX

AlexZX Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    -
    Speaking of hills, how do you get the gearbox to change down when going uphill? I go up a hill every morning on the way to work, and the gearbox stays in 7th all the way down to about 30mph. Do you have to press the throttle harder to make it shift down?

2. 18 Oct 2017 at 8:29 AM #22
    djgandy

djgandy Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Atlantis Blue E93 M3
    Push down a bit more, it will change up. Generally I find that the gearbox is quick to change up out of 7th as there isnt much grunt down there on a hill at 30.

3. 18 Oct 2017 at 8:52 AM #23
    MaximumBob

MaximumBob Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2017 M4 CP
    In my 8 odd years of E92 M3 ownership I pretty much only used manual S mode.
    It just became such an ingrained habit that even if I tried D mode I would end up using the paddles without thinking.
    Was a bit of a problem when driving my wife's manual Juke though, as I sometimes tried shifting gears with the wiper stalk!

4. 18 Oct 2017 at 11:11 AM #24
    Desmo

Desmo Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    2018 f80 M3 Competition
    Colour Combo:
    Sakhir & Black
    The degree of pedal push depends on what D mode you are in. If you are in D2 it will take a lot of pedal depression to get the car to change and then it will probably change down 3 or 4 gears if you are in 7th already. With that high pedal push you are also opening the throttle bodies a fair bit so now you have a car that is in a much lower gear plus way more fuel going in and thus the car explodes into action way more than what is probably needed. So all of a sudden you have gone from one extreme to the other.

It's better if you are in a higher D mode as it requires less pedal push to change the gear. In D4, for example you might already be a gear down from 7th to 6th at the hill so there will be less gears to drop down to get the correct gear. Plus less pedal push means less fuel so the reaction is less and the one extreme to another situation is lessened.

If you are a urban automatic type driver then you'll probably find D4 the best compromise. You still can't beat manually shifting though as you can get the gear you want whilst maintaining the throttle position instead of pressing it further and it all works so much better.

I'm beginning to think this is a manual car with the facility for auto and not the other way round. I now drive urban in manual and limit to gear 5.

5. 18 Oct 2017 at 1:27 PM #25
    Scutch

Scutch Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2012 Japan Red E92 M3 | 2008 UR Megane R26
    Colour Combo:
    Japan Red/Black
    Bloody informative thread. I've since changed from D2 to D3/4 now and it feels more responsive, certainly.

6. 18 Oct 2017 at 8:32 PM #26
    AgentB

AgentB Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    2011 BMW M3 CP
    In commute 30-40mph max traffic i'll usually pop it into D2 or D3. If it's a boring motorway i might D2 and cruise control. I have noticed since running the GTS software, D mode is much less vague about what gear to be in, it seems more predicable and certain - and so i don't curse it as much rolling up to a junction.

One interesting party trick is select say S5, and say 35mph in 7th gear. Press the throttle fully to the kickdown switch, which in D mode would drop a couple of gears. In S mode then ping a downshift, DCT goes straight to the lowest possible gear - just be prepared the first time .... :D

7. 19 Oct 2017 at 3:32 AM #27
    Rick86

Rick86 Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 E92
    How much is the gts software and is anything else needed too upgrade this, or is it simply a software update?

8. 19 Oct 2017 at 4:36 AM #28
    alpina527

alpina527 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Dct M4 Coupe
    I can do it for you. Drop me a pm with your location.

9. 19 Oct 2017 at 8:32 AM #29
    Scutch

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Japan Red/Black
    How do I get the car to retain the settings from the previous drive? I change to D3/4 now but it automatically reverts to D2 when I restart the car.

10. 19 Oct 2017 at 8:36 AM #30
    Telsy

Telsy Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2017 F80 M3 DCT Comp pack
    Colour Combo:
    Silverstone / Black
    I think that is the default setting and cannot be changed.

11. 19 Oct 2017 at 7:54 PM #31
    Darrenaf

Darrenaf Rocking a new hat

Your Motor:
    2012 BMW M3 LE500
    Never, ever in auto mode for me, always on the paddles with traction off.

12. 19 Oct 2017 at 8:07 PM #32
    kevM3

kevM3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2008 E92 M3 & 2009 123d coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Sparkling Graphite ,Black leather
    In my F80 i use Auto round town ,to worketc nudge the stick on good drives, tbh id rather a manual!!

13. 19 Oct 2017 at 9:09 PM #33
    jayukRS

jayukRS Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M4 Austin yellow Comp pack DCT
    Colour Combo:
    Austin/black
    Can't be changed mate. Still does this in the M4 and it's bloody annoying. Full fat mode is only one button away though, and it has a fat M printed on it :thumbsup:

14. 20 Oct 2017 at 7:26 PM #34
    Desmo

Your Motor:
    2018 f80 M3 Competition
    Colour Combo:
    Sakhir & Black
    As they all say can't be done though you would have thought someone would have found a way to code it to default at the last time you used the car. The thing is the S mode does default that way. So what I have done is pressed the old button on the centre console to get S5. Now everytime I enter S (manual mode) the car defaults to S5. As I now like to drive the car in manual mode I start off in the default D2 then change up manually into 2nd or 3rd gear, if auto has already changed up before me by then. As I change manually the car then slips into S5 automatically and stays there. S5 is always just a flick of the shifter away each time you now enter the car.

If you pull the gear stick to the right then the car will enter D2 mode and you can alter this as you like say to D4. Pull to the right again or change up or down and S5 is entered again. Pull to the right again and you are now in D4. But you know you want S5 again which gives you a nice slap in the back as you change gear on half throttle upwards. Sounds complicated but it is not.

The good thing about driving around in S mode (manual) is that you can glide up to a bend or roundabout on half throttle and change down into the right gear without having to stamp on the throttle to kick down a gear or two. The car is so much nicer to drive that way.

What I like doing is putting the car into S5 and flooring it from 4K right up to the redline before shifting gear. It's not mega fast to begin with but pulls like a train through the next 4.2k whilst other cars have only another 2.5-3k to go. Feels and sounds immense!

15. 20 Oct 2017 at 8:40 PM #35
    Desmo

Your Motor:
    2018 f80 M3 Competition
    Colour Combo:
    Sakhir & Black
    As they all say can't be done though you would have thought someone would have found a way to code it to default at the last time you used the car. The thing is the S mode does default that way. So what I have done is pressed the old button on the centre console to get S5. Now everytime I enter S (manual mode) the car defaults to S5. As I now like to drive the car in manual mode I start off in the default D2 then change up manually into 2nd or 3rd gear, if auto has already changed up before me by then. As I change manually the car then slips into S5 automatically and stays there. S5 is always just a flick of the shifter away each time you now enter the car.

If you pull the gear stick to the right then the car will enter D2 mode and you can alter this as you like say to D4. Pull to the right again or change up or down and S5 is entered again. Pull to the right again and you are now in D4. But you know you want S5 again which gives you a nice slap in the back as you change gear on half throttle upwards. Sounds complicated but it is not.

The good thing about driving around in S mode (manual) is that you can glide up to a bend or roundabout on half throttle and change down into the right gear without having to stamp on the throttle to kick down a gear or two. The car is so much nicer to drive that way.

What I like doing is putting the car into S5 and flooring it from 4K right up to the redline before shifting gear. It's not mega fast to begin with but pulls like a train through the next 4.2k whilst other cars have only another 2.5-3k to go. Feels and sounds immense!

16. 17 Jan 2018 at 12:43 PM #36
    Scutch

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Japan Red/Black
    Bit of a bump, but I'm using the paddles more now; one thing I've noticed is the noise is just hypnotising. The acceleration through the rev-range and gear changing is lovely in auto mode, but to be able to rev a little more really brings that Eisenmann and V8 to life. It sounds incredible.

As most of you will have already known now I'm late to the paddle party :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)