Dashcam hardwiring recommendations (London)

Discussion in 'E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)' started by DJonmotors, Oct 16, 2018.

1. 16 Oct 2018 at 2:39 AM #1
    DJonmotors

DJonmotors On the path

Your Motor:
    2013 E92 M3 DCT
    Colour Combo:
    Black/Black
    Hi All,

Wondering if anyone's had a dashcam installed recently? I've got a Nextbase something or other, with the car hardwire kit, but I don't trust myself not to break something and I'd rather not trust my A-pillar trim to Halfords... Rang a local car stereo place who do them, but they wanted £75+VAT, which seemed a bit steep for what seems like 15 mins work. Or am I being unrealistic?

Cheers,
    DJ

2. 16 Oct 2018 at 6:18 AM #2
    Smuler

Smuler Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    2004 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Black and red
    I paid that but it was for front and rear cam and a “drain guard” , I think they used power magic pro so, I can leave camera on. This was last year.

3. 16 Oct 2018 at 7:53 AM #3
    bpman

bpman Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3; F20 125d M-Sport;
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral White; estoril blue
    If you have power in the boot it’s a really simple job. I’ve fitted 2 BlackVue cameras to bmw and Mitsubishi.

The BlackVue kits have fitting tools included

Only tricky bit is hiding the wires next to the rear view mirror to the headlining which involves removing the plastic trim.

If you’ve no 12v socket in the boot, you can get a fuse adapter that piggy backs an existing ignition on 12v supply.

Good luck!

4. 16 Oct 2018 at 8:57 AM #4
    Zag

Zag Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 + Alfa SZ
    Colour Combo:
    Space Grey / Black
    Don't know why you would want power in the boot, but anyway, its a simple job to route
    the wire along the top of the windscreen trim, down the A-pillar and into the rear of the fuse
    box where you can pick up an unused ignition supply.
    Less than an hour for a DIY professional install!

5. 16 Oct 2018 at 10:06 AM #5
    delboylee

delboylee Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 Alpine Edition
    It’s really easy. I did it a few months ago, check my build thread for the front camera. I didn’t bother with a back one.

My DIY/wiring knowledge is minimal but I don’t mind a challenge. I retrofitted OEM Bluetooth on my E46 :)

Whereabouts are you based? It will take less an an hour! I can perhaps give you a hand one evening or weekend.

6. 16 Oct 2018 at 1:41 PM #6
    DJonmotors

DJonmotors On the path

Your Motor:
    2013 E92 M3 DCT
    Colour Combo:
    Black/Black
    Thanks for the responses guys. The wire kit I've got appears to be a 4m cable with a USB for the camera on one end and a fuse piggyback arrangement on the other. There's a small electrical box in the middle of it, which I'm struggling to think where I could hide it. Apparantly, there's somewhere behind the glovebox I can connect the wire to, and then just run up the A-pillar and across the top of the windscreen?

Delboylee, that's very kind of you. I'm based in SW London - that anywhere near you?

Cheers,
    DJ

7. 16 Oct 2018 at 4:01 PM #7
    Smuler

Smuler Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    2004 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Black and red
    On a side note, I briefly owned a Nextbase Duo HD and not wanting my speed to be recorded got hold of a non GPS mount. It was from one of the earlier cameras (a 212) but Next base confirmed as compatible; and indeed it worked.
    If you would like it, gratis, I could pop it in post.
    Nextbase will confirm compatibility if you have a different camera.

8. 17 Oct 2018 at 12:44 PM #8
    delboylee

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 Alpine Edition
    I'm around central and north london usually. You have been given correct advice and it is really easy. It will honestly start making sense when you open the glove box and remove the plastic 'rectangle' to access the fuse box. Assuming you don't want the camera to record when the car is off, just use the fuse I used which is the cigarette lighter. Piggy pack onto this and job done! All you then do is feed the wire out of the glove box and up the trim, my build thread has it here, about 3/4 of the way down:

https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threads/delboylees-e92-m3-alpine-edition.193348/

I do have a few more photos on my phone. In terms of where to hide your small black electrical box, there's lots of room around the fuse area so just leave it there or maybe tape it down in case it rattles!

I got a stealth mount on ebay for my cam, which fixes it nicely to the windscreen without the useless sucky thing :)

9. 17 Oct 2018 at 2:53 PM #9
    DJonmotors

DJonmotors On the path

Your Motor:
    2013 E92 M3 DCT
    Colour Combo:
    Black/Black
    Cheers for the advice. I think I'm going to give it a go myself. Seems easy enough to install the piggy back fuse. The cigarette lighter fuse is the one denoted by the weird + --> - icon on the layout, isn't it?

Another question: there seems to be a large enough gap to tuck the wire between the top of the windscreen and the headliner. Is it similarly easy down the A-pillar, or am I going to need to remove bits first? Also, where exactly can I route the cable from the fusebox, up the back of the glovebox to the A-pillar. Is there a hole? Apologies if these are simple questions - I'm away from the car and won't have time to look at it until I get down to it... Also, where's the best place to attach the negative (forked) end of the cable?

Cheers,
    DJ

10. 17 Oct 2018 at 6:58 PM #10
    Zag

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 + Alfa SZ
    Colour Combo:
    Space Grey / Black
    If you take the wire all the way down the A-pillar (I tucked mine in with a plastic tool), level with the fuse box,
    you will find you can access it from the side and tuck all away nicely!
    It really is a simple job, and gives one lots of satisfaction... especially when it works!! :)

DJonmotors likes this.
  11. 17 Oct 2018 at 7:05 PM #11
    delboylee

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 Alpine Edition
    Almost as easy as the headliner. The A Pillar you just tuck in but it is tighter. No removal needed at all.

To go from the glove to the a pillar is really obviously once you open the glove box and look inside :) it will all click and is really satisfying!

With the grounding, there was another gadget wired in so I used the same grounding point. I think you just need a metal contact to screw into.

Let me dig out a fuse box diagram later tonight mate so you piggy back on the right one.

DJonmotors likes this.
  12. 23 Oct 2018 at 12:29 AM #12
    DJonmotors

DJonmotors On the path

Your Motor:
    2013 E92 M3 DCT
    Colour Combo:
    Black/Black
    Hello All,

Had a crack at this tonight with mixed success. Managed to get the wire piggybacked the to the cigarette lighter fuse and there's power going to the camera on ignition now, but I'm a bit stumped about where to route the wire around the A-Pillar etc. What follows are some crude photos and some of the maddest paint skillzz you've ever seen.

Firstly, Exhibit A: I've passed the wire from the fusebox through a hole in the middle of the bottom of the glovebox, next to what I assume is the foot heating vents (the photo is taken from the floor looking directly up at the bottom of the glovebox). I couldn't see many other places to get it out. Have I missed something? Is this the best place or should I be looking elsewhere?

[​IMG]

Secondly, Exhibit B: When running the wire from the camera and down the passenger A pillar, should I be aiming to tuck it in in the gap flush with the windscreen (red line)? If so, how do I get the wire up from the back of the glovebox from there to ensure it's all concealed? There doesn't seem to be a gap anywhere large enough for the wire.

[​IMG]

Or should I be following the yellow line, and tucking the wire in under the trim the runs down the outside of the A-Pillar? If this is the case then is there any way of concealing the wire as it passes across the width of the A-pillar?

Futhermore, is there some sort of tool I should be using the tuck the wire in, Used a plastic phillips head screwdriver to try and wedge the wire in between the windscreen and the roof lining, but it doesn't seem to want to stay. No doubt I'm doing something wrong - any advice would be appreciated. It's also particularly tight in the gap between the A pillar and the windscreen. It's probably me being too delicate with it in the fear of breaking something...

Thanks for reading - hope that all makes sense!

DJ

13. 23 Oct 2018 at 2:30 AM #13
    Deep pan

Deep pan Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E90 Lci 6MT
    Colour Combo:
    Alpine white, that old chestnut interior.
    I followed the yellow line. You can tuck it just under the rubber seal by the door, it doesn't lift the edge of the seal either if you push it in far enough. Google for blackvue trim tool and use something similar that you have.. you don't want to push the wire behind he trim with a pointed implement.

I can't help with the other bits as I haven't hardwired it yet, I've just routed it so it's not hanging there.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  14. 23 Oct 2018 at 1:07 PM #14
    delboylee

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 Alpine Edition
    Hey DJ, sorry I didn't get back to you. Tied up with house stuff! Glad you got the power working and piggyback sorted.

1) Running the cable from the glovebox, I will need to check but I don't recall going through the hole you did! I remember I found a gap on the bottom left of the glovebox (as you are facing it and sitting in the passenger seat). I will try and take some photos at the weekend.

2) I then threaded up into the yellow line you've outlined. I think you might be being too delicate ;) If you lift up the rubber seal / trim, you can tuck it in there. It is quite tight so your fingers will hurt and it will not move around. I didn't use any tools for fear of marking the trim.

3) To go across the pillar, I used the yellow line, it will tuck in nicely and you can't see it. As for the headliner, this is looser and will also tuck in. Just push it in a bit and it will hold itself. I didn't need to use any clips or anything :)

15. 23 Oct 2018 at 1:54 PM #15
    Zag

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 + Alfa SZ
    Colour Combo:
    Space Grey / Black
  16. 23 Oct 2018 at 10:01 PM #16
    Twiglet

Twiglet On the path

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 E92 2013
    Colour Combo:
    Alpine White / Black
  17. 24 Oct 2018 at 6:09 AM #17
    DJonmotors

DJonmotors On the path

Your Motor:
    2013 E92 M3 DCT
    Colour Combo:
    Black/Black
    Morning All,

Incoming, some more excellent paintwork (and more, probably daft questions):

[​IMG]

For those who've said they followed the yellow line when hiding the wire, and tucked it into the rubber trim - just to confirm, the yellow line isnt rubber trim, it's the join between two different bits of fabric trim. The rubber door trim lines that bit to the left. It's near impossible to see in that photo due to the dark, but I've tried to highlight its leading edge (which contacts the door window) with the green line. Just wanted to confirm between which surfaces I need to try and tuck the wire into.

@delboylee - you mentioned you went across the A pillar at the yellow line. There is a join between the pillar/roof trim there, but doesn't appear to be any way of tucking the wire into it (and then leading the wire unseen to the rubber -pink line). Again, is it a case of me being too delicate with it, and having to pry it out? Also, any pics of where you routed your wire out of the bottom of the glovebox would be appreciated!

While fingering the gap between the top of the windscreen and the ceiling (as you do), there appears to be two channels/gaps to run the wire horizontally towards the door. Do I want to be tucking the wire immediately above the fabric headliner (the bit which feels like cardboard and would come down with too much effort) or the much smaller gap above it, where the windscreen meets the roof? (apologies if this isn't clear)

I've ordered that trim tool set, given it's so cheap, hopefully that'll be a useful replacement for my sausage fingers.

Cheers,
    DJ

18. 24 Oct 2018 at 10:23 AM #18
    delboylee

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 Alpine Edition
    Let me get some photos and details for you DJ. Probably Friday earliest though mate :)

DJonmotors likes this.
  19. 24 Oct 2018 at 4:02 PM #19
    DJonmotors

DJonmotors On the path

Your Motor:
    2013 E92 M3 DCT
    Colour Combo:
    Black/Black
    Cheers!

20. 26 Oct 2018 at 11:33 PM #20
    delboylee

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 Alpine Edition
    Slowly coming back to me after peaking in the dark.......

Neatly tucked in the A pillar behind the soft fuzzy stuff:

[​IMG]

I now remember it will make sense to remove this plastic undercover underneath the glove box. No need to remove the glovebox itself.....

Take off the screws:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once the cover is off, this junction will make sense, can you see the small black cable here.....

[​IMG]

The simply follow up the A pillar, it is definitely possible, lift it and tuck tuck tuck.....

[​IMG]

All very neat and hidden once the black trim goes back into place, you can go across where the horizontal line is and then up the headliner :)

[​IMG]

DJonmotors likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)