Dal's 46M

Discussion in 'Member Rides' started by Dali, Jun 7, 2013.

1. 4 Apr 2016 at 8:44 PM #661
    Wideblue

Wideblue Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2005 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silverstone / Dark Estoril Blue
    Hi Dali, car's looking great as always.

Just dropping by to say thanks for the squeaky seat DIY back on page 20. I've attended to a few bits on mine lately and one of them was to sort out the really annoying drivers' seat creak it had developed a couple of months ago.

The electrical connectors for the seat adjustment didn't want to come out without a tussle but I got there eventually, having followed the guide and put everything back together again - silence is golden! Result.

Keep up the good work mate and cheers :thumbsup:

2. 4 Apr 2016 at 9:06 PM #662
    chattan

chattan Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M3 LE500, M3 Evo Track & RS4
    Have you bought a 235 Dali ??

3. 4 Apr 2016 at 9:20 PM #663
    Coopeh

Coopeh Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Audi RS6
    Colour Combo:
    Sepang Blue
    Think it's his dad's.

4. 4 Apr 2016 at 9:40 PM #664
    Dali

Dali Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    nothing
    As Coopeh said, it's my fathers - he got it back in October:

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=81027&page=30#582

I borrow it from time to time. It's a great all round car, I appreciate it even more since driving the S3.

I just find it hard to get used to the laggy response of the newer turbos. Suppose you just have to accept it... it'll never feel right coming from NA.

Thanks and well done for sorting out the creak.

It's amazing how cheap that bit of plastic makes the car feel. A bit of krytox/sillicone sealant makes it feel like one solid piece. I've done both sides and it's super silent :thumbsup:

5. 4 Apr 2016 at 9:47 PM #665
    Wideblue

Wideblue Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2005 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silverstone / Dark Estoril Blue
    Agree 100%, it makes such a difference. I've cross referenced your work in my Journal to help others - trust that's ok :thumbsup:

Cheers

Matt.

6. 12 May 2016 at 12:39 PM #666
    mkmg76

mkmg76 On the path

Your Motor:
    Candy white VW Golf GTI Mk5 2 door.
    Hi Dali,

Well where to start, I've joined this forum as I'm contemplating buying a 46M when I've finished renovating my first house. I've currently got an E46 320cd Msport due to the ease of running (MPG) with an hour commute to and from work and wanting to keep costs down during the home renovation. 330d was not an option as road tax here in Ireland is 1800/year. (Not conducive with money saving!!).

I've been browsing on here to get a line on values VS condition etc. and to say that when I came across your car and I was gobsmacked is the understatement of the year! The car is EXACTLY what I have in mind for when the time comes to purchase, right spec, right colour, right gearbox and most importantly, the right owners and history. Your thread is absolutely unbelievable, a real credit to you and the forum and what makes places like this worthwhile being a member of.

Having had a list of Lancer Evos and a desire to try something N/A with similar power, I've been inspired by the build quality of the E46 320cd and thought surely if this is so good, the M3 must be on another plane.

Incidentally, I've recently given the car a full suspension refresh to factory specs, i.e., Sachs shocks, genuine BMW M sport springs and genuine BMW wishbones with rear bushes.

The car came with a full H&R kit (non-coilover) which I found too low and hard for the kind of roads I have in my area. Also, I had a horrible sensation of roll on the rear before and after the change that could only be described as a see-saw effect under hard cornering, the car would lean and then almost keel over until it hit the bumpstops in the inside corner of a given tight bend (very disconcerting) I had hoped this would be sorted by replacing the suspension. It wasn't.......but in the end was sorted by fitting powerflex ARB bushes. That may be of some interest to somebody on here for future reference. Hard to overstate the difference these have made. A very worthwhile and reasonably cheap investment.

Also, I have some vagueness in the steering which having read your thread, I'm going to try to address by changing the steering couplers. Its as if air gets under the car at times and lifts the front causing the steering to become light, I feel that it is possibly the wheels acting independently of the rack for a split second due to play in the couplers giving that sensation of "lightness".

I can't tell you how disappointed I am to be so deeply involved in my house and not be in a position to buy the car because if I was, I'd have taken your arm off.

I've spent the last 3 days in work between calls etc reading the entire thread from beginning to end and all I can say is very well done and thank you. Your attention to detail and efforts to explain are second to none.

Please continue to update it with whatever you choose to purchase next. I for one will be waiting.:thumbsup:

Regards,

Mick.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  7. 12 May 2016 at 9:13 PM #667
    DJ Syxx

DJ Syxx Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Stahl Grau & Cinnamon
    Can't believe you sold it. :(

8. 12 May 2016 at 9:16 PM #668
    M3POWERBOY

M3POWERBOY Sponsor

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 SMG Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey/Black Nappa/Alcantara Custom Recaro CS/CSL
    He didn't sell it he gave it away! Lol

9. 12 May 2016 at 9:50 PM #669
    Dali

Your Motor:
    nothing
    No problem mate! :thumbsup:

Thanks Mick, enjoyed reading your post!

It feels great doesn't it when you tinker with the suspension and sample the after effects. Amazing how little changes can make a big difference.

I hope all goes well with your house. There will some good motors for sale soon I'm sure!

:(

Not true - Update coming soon.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  10. 12 May 2016 at 11:05 PM #670
    Spread79

Spread79 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Jaguar Mk1 / M3 E46
    Colour Combo:
    Steel grey / red
    Yeah me too I'm gutted :(

I looked forward to your updates Dali every post you made updating the thread was such an interesting read.
    I hope you stick around the forum :thumbsup:

11. 13 May 2016 at 9:25 AM #671
    mkmg76

mkmg76 On the path

Your Motor:
    Intriguing! Please tell me you haven't sold it but instead decided to keep it for another year so I can buy it! :D (I'm deadly serious by the way!)

Yes, it's definitely very satisfying to get a positive result when working on suspension (or anything else). Not so much when you get an unexpectedly negative result and you've done the work yourself.........no else to blame then!

Thanks for the well wishes on the house, I'm sure we'll get there in the end!

Looking forward to your update.

12. 23 May 2016 at 8:35 PM #672
    Dali

Your Motor:
    nothing
    Thank you, the feedback from the community helped to keep it going. There are some great DIY guides out there, the only thing always frustrated me was broken/small images etc. Hopefully I fixed some of that!

As for staying on the forum? These yellow walls feel like home - plenty of ex-M3 folks on here still.

I provided an update here: http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=153029&page=2#35.

Also, replied to your PM :)

13. 23 May 2016 at 8:35 PM #673
    Dali

Your Motor:
    nothing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All good things come to an end

Folks, the M3 was collected by it's new owner today. The owner and his friend both arrived on the train.

I collected them and we went for a good drive and had a great chat about the car and other automotive topics.

In short, we spent soo much time talking about the car and M3s in general they overran their schedule and so we had to wrap things up.

The new owner is very happy with his new M3 :)

I've been fairly grounded throughout the sale of my M3. When the new owner and his friend drove off in the M3, it hit me ...hard... a indescribable feeling that only a car enthusiast would understand.
    I had a flurry of memories of all the moments I'd had with the car, many of them detailed here.

I ended on a smile of course knowing the car was going to a good owner who would take great care of it as I and previous owners have.

Thank you
    A special note to all who have contributed to this thread with ideas, feedback, thank you. The positive comments encouraged me to continue sharing DIY write ups.
    The platform maturity of the E46 M3 is at an all time high. You can find articles/DIY on almost anything, a great time to be an owner.

Be good to your 46Ms!
    Fellow owners, do all you can to ensure your cars are highly maintained. I say this because good clean cars are becoming harder to find - just ask the buyers lurking around the for sale section!
    It might be tempting to splash out on a set of fancy rims, and ignore maintenance items such as the VANOS, but it will only get you so far. Buyers are paying ever more attention to good maintenance.
    Finally, don't be afraid to ask questions like why product X is better than product Y. Eg. The next time a vendor offers ABC lowering springs, ask them what the spring rate is, empower yourself so they know
    you are an informed buyer.

What's on the menu?
    I've been asked this a lot - there isn't a singled out option to be honest.
    There is so much choice out there - it won't be easy if I'm using the E46M as measurement I know. I'll update you all once I have made a decision.
    I'm still going to be around here so any questions just PM me :)

Will I ever return to owning another ///M car in the future....? oh I think we all know the answer to that ;)

14. 23 May 2016 at 9:27 PM #674
    kevM3

kevM3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2008 E92 M3 & 2009 123d coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Sparkling Graphite ,Black leather
    sorry to see it go Dal, i nearly sold mine in nov/dec had serious buyers on the phone but i kept putting them off , i couldnt part with mine , maybe i didnt love them e92s enough!

15. 24 May 2016 at 10:21 AM #675
    mkmg76

mkmg76 On the path

Your Motor:
    Got your PM mate and replied.

Thank you.

How could the new owner be anything but over the moon with that car, it's a beauty and a credit to you and its previous owners.

Hopefully wont be too long until we see your next purchase. :thumbsup:

16. 24 May 2016 at 8:16 PM #676
    kevM3

kevM3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2008 E92 M3 & 2009 123d coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Sparkling Graphite ,Black leather
    i reckon his next cars a Z3 M coupe !

17. 26 May 2016 at 7:02 PM #677
    Dali

Your Motor:
    nothing
    I think I've missed the boat on those... would love a S54 variant.

I'll have to make do with the poster on the wall...

[​IMG]

18. 29 Jun 2016 at 6:31 PM #678
    M3Laith

M3Laith Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    CB
    Just did this.

Great write-up and excellent cost-saving idea!

19. 5 Jul 2016 at 12:06 AM #679
    AC427

AC427 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 Convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril / Champagne
    Does the Mishimoto fan upgrade replace the viscous fan?

20. 12 Mar 2017 at 10:08 AM #680
    djon

djon Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2005 E46 M3 & 2007 M5 Touring
    Colour Combo:
    Interlagos // Black | Monaco Blue // Silverstone II
    Hi Dali,

Just wanted to say a thanks for your great thread once again. I cleaned my oil separator and noticed a 2/3 MPG increase compared to before, and also used your guide to do the 'stage 1' Besian VANOS upgrade. Along with new plugs/oil my car now feels very healthy indeed. Much punchier and rev more freely. Just waiting to get stage 2 Beisan fitted and valve clearances now...

Thanks again, hope you're still enjoying the M2! I saw my first one on the road yesterday and they certainly look the part.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)