Mds

A mere Chipper
Nov 26, 2015
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2009 white BMW m3 e93
Colour Combo
White,Red Interior
Any one have information on checking oil level as no dipstick and adding oil thanks

scott1205

Wearing official underwear
Jan 25, 2015
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Ymb m4
You have to let the car heat up and sit on level ground, then it tells you on the dash if oil level is ok.

I have no idea what BMW were thinking!

SimonLM

Oct 15, 2016
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2009 M3 E90 2002 Clio V6 2013 Audi Q7 Alpine A610
Colour Combo
Jarez Black Fox Red Leather
Yeah it's bloody stupid

You have to let the car heat up and sit on level ground, then it tells you on the dash if oil level is ok.

I have no idea what BMW were thinking!

Dcdad43

Underwear thermally upgraded
Mar 14, 2016
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 M3
The oil level indicator can be a bit random.

Be cautious when adding oil, easy to get lured into adding too much.

If the indicator is showing half you in theory need to add half a litre to take it back to full. I would err on adding very slightly less.

You can get an aftermarket dipstick kit but it's not a 10 minute fitting job.

Dcdad

zuul

Rocking a new hat
Dec 24, 2016
Reaction score
What're you driving?
F10 M5. Z3MC. 997T.
Ive always found his frustrating

Despite wanting to actually read it myself, I also like to see the colour of the oil too.

MaximumBob

Flexing a golden cincture
Feb 11, 2014
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2019 M5
Me...I wait until its showing half full on the indicator and add 1/4 of a ltr.
Do not be tempted to add more until at least a week has passed.

slow

A mere Chipper
Jul 11, 2016
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2013 E92
Me...I wait until its showing half full on the indicator and add 1/4 of a ltr.
Do not be tempted to add more until at least a week has passed.

I'm ****ting it a bit now. Mines is a 2013 e92 and hadn't noticed any oil usage in the 6 month I had it till recently. It was below 75% so I topped it up, just small amounts over a few days. And then almost upto a litre added about 5 days ago. There was barely no change in reading, I checked again today and noticed it's now at max.

No warning lights but that's really worrying me now so I might phone my local bmw for a quick look. It's ridiculous there's no dipstick.

Ao1

Jul 31, 2015
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2013 E92 M3
Colour Combo
Mineral white/ Piano black
From the Owners manual. (May help reduce the some of the problems with the less than perfect electronic oil level monitor).

Do not add 1 US quart/1 litre of engine oil until the display shows an oil level measurement of "+1qt" or "+1l".

Add oil within the next 125 miles/200 km, otherwise the engine could be damaged. Add no more than 1 US quart/1 litre of oil, otherwise too much engine oil can lead to engine damage. Add at least 0.5 US quarts/0.5 litres, otherwise the oil level monitor will be unable to display the new value reliably.

Checking oil level
Your car is equipped with an electronic oil level monitor. The oil level can be displayed when the engine is warm. Continuous short distance travel or a very sporty driving style may make measurement impossible.

1 Oil level OK.

2 Oil level is being checked.
This can take about 1 minute if the car is at a standstill on a level surface, or about 5 minutes while the car is moving.
If engine oil was added, it may take up to 30 minutes to obtain an oil level reading.

3 Oil level down to minimum:
Add engine oil at the next opportunity, but no more than 1 US quart/1 litre, refer also to Adding engine oil on page 61. Add at least 0.5 US quarts/0.5 litres, otherwise the oil level monitor will be unable to display the new value reliably. If the oil level is below the minimum value, add engine oil immediately to avoid engine damage.

4 Oil level is too high.
Have the vehicle checked immediately, otherwise the excess oil may lead to engine damage.

5 A value cannot be read at this time. The engine is not yet warm.

oil_zpst522ygnv.jpg

Quick measurement
In addition to the automatic measurement, you can also determine the current oil level manually, e.g. after adding engine oil, but such measurements are less accurate.
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface with the engine at operating temperature, i.e. after an uninterrupted drive of at least 6 miles/10 km.
2. Let the engine idle.
3. Press the computer button in the turn indicator lever repeatedly until the oil level display appears in the instrument cluster.
4. Press the computer button for at least 2 seconds. The oil level is determined. A clock symbol appears during measurement.
5. After approx. 1 minute, the current oil level is displayed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread