Ceramic coating

Discussion in 'Detailing, Valeting and Car care' started by taylio, Apr 19, 2020.

1. 15 Jan 2021 at 4:13 PM #21
    johnybravo

johnybravo Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    2010 bmw m3
    Here's a bit of an illustration on the coating front. I coated one side of the car with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light + Exo 4. The other had Hydrosilex (spray based hydrophilic temporary coating (that side needed some light marring removed before coating and i didnt have time to do all the car in one go. Thought it would make for an interesting real world test)

Drove in the last storm that hit london last year for about 2 hours on mix of motorway and b roads. You can prob take a stab at which side is which.

IMHO the coatings will give you a bit more resistance against scratches and swirls, but its just a relative improvement. You still need to to be very careful with your paint to maintain the finish but certainly it helps when you're wiping down with detailer in between washes

Personally prefer working with CSL than the Gtechniq Ultra version as it can be machine polished off whereas the Ultra requires sanding off. I prefer having the optioN of being able to reprep and coat the car without getting out the grit!

From what i've seen of all the chemical analysis and tests to date on graphene they cannot get it to set in coatings in the way necessary to create the chain bonds. No discernible strength improvement or water spot reduction. At this point looks more like adding pencil shavings to the coating and then upping the price ;) Chicago auto pros have done some good in depth vids on this on youtube if people want to look into it more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    Deleted user 84213265 likes this.
  2. 24 Mar 2021 at 5:19 PM #22
    Ant Man

Ant Man Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    E92 M3 Individual Edition
    Colour Combo:
    Santorini Blue / black with blue stitching
    I applied the Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light in 2019 and I do not think much of it's longevity or protection. My paint is still easily scratched so I'd say it's useless in that regards. It does look glossy though.

Is there any non-professional ceramic coating on the market that actually does what it says on the tin?

3. 24 Mar 2021 at 5:38 PM #23
    Reflectolo

Reflectolo Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    Audi S4 Avant
    Colour Combo:
    Nogaro Blue
    The blurb from some companies regarding their coatings really is to be taken lightly and in some cases face value, resistance doesn't mean proof so you will get scratches and marring if care isn't taken, however the main reason to apply coatings is for durability and longevity of gloss, but some coatings are better than others at scratch resistance, gloss retention and durability.

4. 4 Apr 2021 at 10:57 AM #24
    Banksie

Banksie Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    M4CP
    Agree completely with the above. I have an M4 in Tanzanite which has the full Gtech treatment from new. I have a good washing regime, I use top quality mitts and microfibre cloths and only dry the car when absolutely necessary. I normally rinse with water purifier. The car has 8000 miles on it, is garaged and it shows scratches like you would not believe.

It showed scratches as soon as it was done. Considering these coatings are sold on there hardness the number of scratches is surprising. Pressing the fuel filler cap to open it with clean fingers having driven the car 10 miles in a standard environment can scratch the paint where you touch it!

Now I know Tanzanite does show the marks but the other colours will be marking as well, it’s just they don’t show as much in everyday light.

If you have the time I’d save your money and the reason I say that is that I’d have the car detailed and a good wax/polish put on and then just keep on top of the paintwork with regular top ups. In my case I spend as much time removing marks from the coated paintwork as I would if it hadn’t been done! Oh and it also costs about £150 just for a “top up” that really does nothing at all, as within a week your removing marks again. £150 is a lot of quality wax polish.

5. 4 Apr 2021 at 11:08 AM #25
    R60BBA

R60BBA Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    2002 E46 M3 Coupe / 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Schwarz / Arktis Silber
    Wax/sealant for bodywork.

Ceramic coating for wheels and brake calipers.

6. 5 Apr 2021 at 10:03 PM #26
    R60BBA

What're you driving?:
    Colour Combo:

SimonH likes this.
  7. 6 Apr 2021 at 9:55 AM #27
    johnybravo

What're you driving?:
    2010 bmw m3
    CSL is not sold on on its hardness. hence the word 'light'. besides even the hardest ones are talking about 9H which is as hard as a pencil lead which is hardly crazy strong

if you're scratching the paint its because you're dragging something across it so if those marks are bothering you then it is worth looking again at your wash technique or whether you're occassionally cheating and using quick detailer when the car looks 'pretty clean'

lets also be a little careful around the costs people are throwing around. CSL is 40 quid for a 30 ml bottle that does a full car easily. the CSL + EXO 4 is 75 quid. High quality waxes can cost easily more than that.

Wax wears off in weeks to months. CSL is a year plus. Also worth pointing out that every time you apply wax you also risk marring the paint if you havent done a good prep

8. 6 Apr 2021 at 11:01 AM #28
    johnybravo

What're you driving?:
    2010 bmw m3
    incidentally i personally like the fact that CSL is 'softer' so i can machine polish it off again (and why i dont want to use Ultra which is 'harder'). I want to be able to redetail it (admittedly wax is easier for this)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  9. 6 Apr 2021 at 4:34 PM #29
    Banksie

Banksie Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    M4CP
    All understood! I guess if there are marks then there must be something wrong with my method, so you’ve got me thinking!

For instance, how many drying towels would you normally use to dry a car?

10. 6 Apr 2021 at 8:20 PM #30
    johnybravo

What're you driving?:
    2010 bmw m3
    Personally use one of the large drying towels, then quick detailer with micro fibre cloths. Also use a blower for round the lights, door handles, mirrors and shuts

Found that HydroSilex over the top of Exo can leave very fine streaking if you’re not careful and can look like a bit like marring.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  11. 6 Apr 2021 at 11:02 PM #31
    R60BBA

What're you driving?:
    Colour Combo:
    1 towel in summer.

2 in winter however.

12. 7 Apr 2021 at 8:48 AM #32
    Reflectolo

Reflectolo Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    Audi S4 Avant
    Colour Combo:
    Nogaro Blue
    As my comment previously I mention that you should take any hardness and scratch resistance claims with a pinch of salt, I'll also emphasise the word "resistant" this doesn't mean proof, scratch proof and scratch resistant are 2 very different terms, most coatings will allow for some resistance but it's all down to the media and methods used, get those wrong and you will get similar results to a wax finish that has be resistance whatsoever, however what you do get with ceramic coatings is there fact that the gloss will outlast any wax and go potentially into years.

Someone asked about other products on the market that were good but weren't professional only, well try these two.

SiRamik sc15 and SiRamik SC Flex, sc15 is simply stunning and is tough, lasts between 18 and 24 months* but has seen well into 4 years with a well looked after car, then there's SC Flex, this is a semi elastic coating that doesn't crystallise to a hard glass layer and offers some insane water behaviour, as it is flexible it does offer "light resistance" to stone chipping but it's not designed to, or was just a bonus find in testing, flex typically lasts 12 to 18 months but has been known after a good clay to bounce back and be present for longer, around 26 months is the longest I've had reported back.

I'm here for anyone's help should you need it so just fire me a message over.

Russ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)