Ceramic Coating??

Discussion in 'Detailing, Valeting and Car care' started by M3Dream, May 20, 2018.

1. 24 May 2018 at 8:12 PM #21
    Yas Man

Yas Man Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2016 BMW M4 Comp Pack
    There's pros to both - ceramic is good for people who will maintain a good wash routine, two buckets and dry properly but wont bother with clay, tar removers, prep and wax top ups.

Waxing is good for people that want to take a real vested interest in their cars and put time and effort in to maintain an outstanding finish.

Either way both start with a proper paint prep and polish - without that, they are both a waste of time and money.

I will say one thing in favour of ceramic coatings, the hydrobaric properties of ceramic coats are way higher than waxes, this means dirt has a harder time bonding to ceramic coated paint and therefore ceramic coated cars and wheels are much easier to clean. Ceramic coats are much better on wheels also as they offer a better level of protection against hot brake dust than waxes.

2. 24 May 2018 at 10:32 PM #22
    Moonstone

Moonstone Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2018 RS5
    Ceramic coatings should last a couple of years. Not six months. Their purpose is to act as a long lasting wax with hydrophobic properties. The finish is down to the prep beforehand. My car is much easier to keep clean and has a glossier, wet-look finish that lasts rather than me having to use glazes and waxes.

Thing is results all depend on how good the detailer is.

3. 6 Aug 2018 at 2:55 PM #23
    M3Dream

M3Dream Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M3 e46 Estoril Blue Convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril Blue / Champagne Leather
    My dad had a quote from a body shop where he is having a dent done on his Range Rover sport. They quoted him £300 for ceramic coating, to me this seems way to cheap. What do you reckon guys I would of thought in the region of £600 to be done properly

4. 6 Aug 2018 at 8:12 PM #24
    bimbob

bimbob Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 Silverstone 2
    Coz its a bodyshop, they wont spend days prepping the car for a ceramic. Take it to a reputable pro detailer if you want it done right.

5. 7 Aug 2018 at 8:20 AM #25
    Edrx7

Edrx7 Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    ‘18 M3 CP INDIVIDUAL
    When mine gets done I’m always there to ensure the right coating gets put on as I always get the top end products applied.....
    Sounds way too cheap... I would think again

6. 19 Sep 2018 at 9:44 AM #26
    bod1986

bod1986 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    multiple
    What makes of coatings are people using fir body and wheels. Mines just about finished in the body shop and looking at this while it's still fresh.

7. 30 Sep 2018 at 1:55 PM #27
    BMWAK

BMWAK On the path

Your Motor:
    F80 M3
    It is worth doing for the added paint protection, bird poo etching minimisation e.t.c.

However I think the common misunderstanding with ceramic coating is that people think it can prevent scratches and stone chips.

No it doesn't and if that is what you are trying to achieve then you require PPF.

8. 18 Oct 2018 at 11:43 AM #28
    jays bmw

jays bmw Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    E93 M3 DCT 2013 - Mineral White
    Had my M3 vert coated a little over a year ago now and it still looks and repels water dirt etc like the day it was detailed.

I paid little more, about 750 if i remember but in my eyes its well worth it. Washing is so simple now and as long as it's done correctly with the right products it'll last for 2/3 years easily. No more days spent waxing and polishing then nursing a bad back for days after.

9. 13 Nov 2018 at 2:52 PM #29
    eoghan

eoghan On the path

Your Motor:
    2004 BMW M3 Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    Check out @ottdetailing on insta - did full paint correction on my car, and can do ceramic coatings too (baked on)

10. 13 Nov 2018 at 5:22 PM #30
    Harwoodand

Harwoodand On the path

Your Motor:
    Carbon Black E46 M3 & 330ci clubsport manual/
    Colour Combo:
    Black/Black Estoril/Black
    There's a whole lot of nonsense being talked on this thread!!

Ceramic coating is NOT a wax - it bonds to the paintwork, it doesn't sit on top like a wax
    95% of the finished result is in the prep - 2 stage polish as a minimum, after claying and thorough decontamination.
    It needs to cure, preferably overnight
    Good hand wash routines with a PH neutral shampoo/foam will increase the longevity massively. If you go to the local muddy bucket brigade you will undo all the hard work that has been carried out as they usually use corrosive TFR's and acidic products.

Choose your detailer carefully ( a valeter doesnt suddenly become a detailer, not without a lot of paint corrections and treatments behind him) and look at previous work and reviews, DO NOT let a dealership or body shop anywhere near, at best they will seal imperfections and defects beneath the coating, at worst they will trash your paintwork (it can be a pig to remove properly if not applied correctly)

Expect to pay around £300 - £600 depending on the size of the car and condition of your paintwork

It is a fantastic product, you can, if you wish, simply jet wash your car and the dirt just slides off (thats kind of the idea, the dirt is sitting on top of the coating) it repels road film as well .
    I have 3 of my cars treated currently, one of which is approaching 2 years now, can't recommend it enough but as they say "Caveat Emptor" and do your research

Andy

ScottB likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)