Booked first track session, tips?

Discussion in 'Track-days' started by 7DT, Jun 15, 2018.

1. 15 Jun 2018 at 3:21 PM #1
    7DT

7DT Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Black
    Booked it Wednesday for this Saturday on whim at brands hatch, so not really given myself any time to really pr we pare. Any tips? Crap I should bring? Had car up on ramp to check it last night and it all looks ok, will check fluids this eve.

Anyway, help a total novice out!

2. 15 Jun 2018 at 3:31 PM #2
    sydown

sydown Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 Track Car
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    Congrats on booking your first track session in the car.
    Take some extra oil in case it uses any on track, tyre pressure gauge to check pressures after the first session (chances are you will need to let a little air out as they will be a higher pressure when hot).

As you say check all fluids before you go and ensure all of the brake pads have a good amount of friction material left on them.

Short of that just have fun and don't push too hard! If you can get some instruction while you are there so much the better, if not an experienced track day driver should be able to give you some tips!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  3. 15 Jun 2018 at 4:28 PM #3
    Telsy

Telsy Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2017 F80 M3 DCT Comp pack
    Colour Combo:
    Silverstone / Black
    As he said ^^^, just take it easy, build up your pace and have fun. Remember the aim of the day is to be able to drive home, car and yourself in one piece with an ear to ear grin.

4. 15 Jun 2018 at 5:47 PM #4
    billyboym3

billyboym3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    E46 M3
    Do short stints and keep your fluids up, drink plenty of water and I would book instruction first thing.

5. 15 Jun 2018 at 7:02 PM #5
    PMed

PMed Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 e46 M3 coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril Blue
    Do cool down laps.
    Don't put your handbrake on in the paddock /pits

6. 15 Jun 2018 at 8:26 PM #6
    Nakamiki

Nakamiki A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2001 M3, 1999 M5
    If you have a doubt on anything ( tires are slippery, worn or fading brakes), then no doubt...its time to do a cooling lap and go back to paddocks.

If full stock car, don't expect much more than 10 min before tire and break overheat.

First thing i've learned on my first track day: be humble...

7. 15 Jun 2018 at 9:09 PM #7
    GWO M3

GWO M3 On the path

Your Motor:
    1997 BMW M3 EVO
    Its far better to start at 6/10ths and work up than 11/10th and work down.....

And be prepared to be totally totally addicted to driving on a circuit.

8. 15 Jun 2018 at 9:54 PM #8
    7DT

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Black
    Yeah, I'm already paranoid enough, and I don't want to go trying to break lap records, really just a taster, and don't intend to push it all. Just want to dip my toes in the water really! Brakes should be good, as upgraded the fronts to AP 6pots end of last year, pads should have plenty life left in them too. Tyres, just standard Michelin PS4s.

Handbrake? Eh?

I've got mini instruction booked whihc I think is pretty much an instructor in the car for a lap or two three, reckoned that'd be a good way to go! If I like it (which I have a bad feeling that I will) then I'll be more prepared to book a few full day tuition sessions from there to become better. Rather do that than learn the hard (and expensive) way. Hadn't thought of water, but that makes sense!

This is the plan :D

Yeah, I would like to see improvement over the day, but I am under no illusion that there will be alot of people a lot faster than me, but it's not a competition for me anyway, however, I can already see it being addictive. And means I can justify the mods doner to car and actually use them, which'll be nice. Am really looking forward to it :D

Cooling laps, by this you guys mean do a slower lap to finish off a session to just get the car moving to cool down the oil/coolant etc?

9. 15 Jun 2018 at 10:03 PM #9
    DaveMSport

DaveMSport Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 Individual, E36 M3 track car, Landrover Defender E53 X5, E38 730, E30 318is, E30 Mtec touring
    Colour Combo:
    Techno Violet/silver gray
    Having the handbrake up in the pits can cause the shoes to stick to the drums with the heat after being out on track.

As they cool, they'll pretty much weld themselves on then and you'll have trouble breaking them free again.
    Same goes for driving in very cold weather. The frost sticks the shoes to the drums and seizes the cables.

Worth bringing Little wheel chocks that you can put to the wheels while in the pits in case it rolls if you want to leave the engine running

Best of luck though. Short stints so you don't cook the brakes, tyres, stress the car and even for yourself too as you'll take in more and learn in lots of 4 or 5 lap sessions rather than a long string of 10-20 laps and not remember half them, keep yourself hydrated and keep an eye on the fluid levels, temperatures and a few laps with others or them to sit in with you will help loads too.

You'll have loads of fun. It's ridiculously addictive so be prepared to have lots of upgrades on the shopping list next week :D

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  10. 15 Jun 2018 at 10:32 PM #10
    knoxville

knoxville On the path

Your Motor:
    M3 CSL, Manual Coupe, 328
    Don't crash.

11. 16 Jun 2018 at 5:03 AM #11
    Graham

Graham Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Imola Red / Black
    Depending on when you do it, if you get stuck and brake anything or need a hand I’ll be down in the lower paddock setting up for my race on Sunday. White Transit next to a black M3 with a yellow Hack Engineering sticker :)

I have built up a decent spares package now plus have tools etc

12. 16 Jun 2018 at 7:33 AM #12
    Telsy

Telsy Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2017 F80 M3 DCT Comp pack
    Colour Combo:
    Silverstone / Black
    Now that is the Cutter spirit - wonderful that Graham :thumbsup:

13. 16 Jun 2018 at 8:26 AM #13
    7DT

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Black
    Awesome, cheers :) I'll come and say hello regardless, have a look at the weapon you've built, as not seen the new one yet!

14. 17 Jun 2018 at 7:31 AM #14
    Musik

Musik A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2001 BMW M3 MANUAL
    Did you do the afternoon? I had my first track session in the M3 yesterday at brands in the morning. The car was superb.

15. 17 Jun 2018 at 1:47 PM #15
    PMed

PMed Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 e46 M3 coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril Blue
    How did it go?

My first time on track was at Brands. I cooked my brakes by lunch time, despite race pads and fluids, and had to stop due to the judder! I note you have APs, though so you would have been fine.

16. 18 Jun 2018 at 3:05 AM #16
    Graham

Your Motor:
    2004 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Imola Red / Black
    Looked to be going alright :) I only watched briefly. I thought the show would have been alot busier at Brands!

17. 18 Jun 2018 at 9:33 AM #17
    7DT

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Black
    Yeah, I did the afternoon, car was good, really did enjoy it, despite having the feeling that I really do need someone in the car to give me pointers. I did have someone booked, but he span off in the porsche the session before me. In any case, the next session I'll be getting someone in the car, as it's good fun, but it'd be more fun actually knowing more! Completely different to normal driving.

Went alright, didn't win any prizes for lap times, but got into it, and got better as the day wore on (well I think anyway). Think I have done my front tyres in a bit (the tread pattern definitely didn't look like it does now :D ) but other than that, no overheating, brakes held up nicely etc. Made a point of keeping the car running to keep oil up to temp as well. Some point I'll have to be a bit braver and do this without traction control on...

Cheers, was good fun, can see this being pretty addictive!

Yeah, I thought there'd be more people! It was a bit empty saturday and felt a bit weirdly organised. Turned up on sunday, but kind of late, still good to watch the racing, stuck around to see you get 3rd place!

And yes, I already have a shopping list, tuition for a day somewhere, a quieter exhaust (as at 102dB it was loud during the noise test, and the guy told me it peaked at 112... which will not get me onto circuits unless they have a 105 limit), some tires and a set of wheels for track are probably top of the list, then seats.

Basically, I had fun!

18. 18 Jun 2018 at 7:16 PM #18
    Musik

Musik A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2001 BMW M3 MANUAL
    It was quite quiet, which was very handy. Open pit lane in the morning was a nice surprise too.

I did 75 laps in the morning, broken down into about three sessions. My brakes (totally standard) obviously need some improvement as the brake judder after around 15 laps is quite severe. Any suggestions was to what?

I have 19" wheels for road and 18" for the track and I'm defiantly getting som proper track tyres for my next session and the extra grip will help prolong the brakes a bit too.

Driving with the traction off is the best. Although on the last bend before the straight, I went a bit throttle happy and have the back out at about 80 was a bit too fun!

19. 18 Jun 2018 at 10:32 PM #19
    7DT

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Black
    The APs i put on are one of the best things I have done to the car, completely unnecessary on the road, but I like knowing they are there!

I don't think I'll be brave enough to turn off traction until i've had someone pointing out errors, or actually found somewhere where i can practice finding out what happens that isn't a road when you push it. Kind of wish I'd done that airfield day, as that seems like a good place to be able to bin it without too many repercussions!

20. 19 Jun 2018 at 1:57 PM #20
    Graham

Your Motor:
    2004 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Imola Red / Black
    Yeah it’s a downhill slope from here :muttley:

Ah wicked, mega days racing :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)