M3 GFY

Flexing a golden cincture
Reaction score
What're you driving?
G80 Mora Purple M3 Competition X-Drive
Colour Combo
Full Silverstone/Black Leather
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/bmw/i4

Or M3 rival as well - oops clicked create thread too quick!

Quite like these but Taycan is my preferred electric car.
Not yet Henry. Maybe 10 years time for electric for me once the range is up to 500 (so you can probably get to 300). Next generation Macan might interest me though as my next option. Going to enjoy the last full petrol M3.:)

C1CDG

Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 M3 with comp pack
Colour Combo
Mineral white / fox red
At least it looks like a normal car. So that’s a slight bonus.

Zletsgo

Achieved official socks
Reaction score
What're you driving?
M3 Comp Individual
Colour Combo
Nardo Grey
Still not sure why the mahoosive grilles on a car that doesn't need the air intake of a scramjet....

DeadEye

Reaction score
What're you driving?
M4 CP
Colour Combo
Blue Hera Mica/Full Opal and Fjord Blue Contrast
...but electric (rechargeable battery) cars are not the future.

Hydrogen fuel cell is where we'll end up.

zerouali

Underwear thermally upgraded
Reaction score
What're you driving?
BMW 5 series touring, E92 M3 Competition package
...but electric (rechargeable battery) cars are not the future.

Hydrogen fuel cell is where we'll end up.
Most likely, but almost certainly not in the next 5 years or so, in which case electric is as good as anything at the moment.

DeadEye

Reaction score
What're you driving?
M4 CP
Colour Combo
Blue Hera Mica/Full Opal and Fjord Blue Contrast
Most likely, but almost certainly not in the next 5 years or so, in which case electric is as good as anything at the moment.

If it is 5 years then I suppose it might be worth going electric for now, any less and you'll be paying for the inevitable loss in value knowing they'll be phased out and/replaced.

At least the continual improvement in electric motors will be useful.

BMW are releasing a Hydrogen X5 next year.

zerouali

Reaction score
What're you driving?
BMW 5 series touring, E92 M3 Competition package
If it is 5 years then I suppose it might be worth going electric for now, any less and you'll be paying for the inevitable loss in value knowing they'll be phased out and/replaced.

At least the continual improvement in electric motors will be useful.

BMW are releasing a Hydrogen X5 next year.
I certainly wouldn’t buy an electric car, lease is definitely the way to go on these for me.

Hydrogen cars are a no brainer but the production and storage of the hydrogen is what will hold it up. It’s been 7 years since Tesla first put superchargers in the uk and the infrastructure still isn’t there to support the majority of people, and that’s basically just wiring in a fancy plug in a box.

I’m surprised the government aren’t more behind hydrogen, all fuel duties are easily transferred as it’s just like buying petrol, electric gives them much more of a headache.

JohnM3E90

Reaction score
What're you driving?
2021 M5 Competition LCI
Colour Combo
Marina Bay Blue/ Smoked White Leather

M3 GFY

Reaction score
What're you driving?
Colour Combo
Owners are finding the Porsche has woeful miles per charge, with normal driving some owners get 180 miles laughable.
It's all about the charging infrastructure and fast charging. I doubt you'd get much more than 180 miles out of a tank of fuel in your lovely new M5 Ultimate if your are booting it.

JohnM3E90

Reaction score
What're you driving?
2021 M5 Competition LCI
Colour Combo
It's all about the charging infrastructure and fast charging. I doubt you'd get much more than 180 miles out of a tank of fuel in your lovely new M5 Ultimate if your are booting it.
But I can fill up in 2 minutes not one hour, Super fast chargers are in the region of 10 in the UK, yep my nearest is 40 miles away in Cambridge.
Rarely get less than 20 MPG, so 280 miles minimum per tank, and on a run 25/27 MPG.

Last edited:

Lofty

Reaction score
What're you driving?
GR Yaris
But I can fill up in 2 minutes not one hour, Super fast chargers are in the region of 10 in the UK, yep my nearest is 40 miles away in Cambridge.
Rarely get less than 20 MPG, so 280 miles minimum per tank, and on a run 25 MPG.

I’ve had my electric van five months, I haven’t had to use a public charger. I just plug mine in overnight at home and it has a full tank in the morning. If we all had a petrol supply at home then a visit to the fuel station would be a very rare event for most drivers. 15 minute or less charging and 400/500 range will be the norm in five years time.

JohnM3E90

Reaction score
What're you driving?
2021 M5 Competition LCI
Colour Combo
I’ve had my electric van five months, I haven’t had to use a public charger. I just plug mine in overnight at home and it has a full tank in the morning. If we all had a petrol supply at home then a visit to the fuel station would be a very rare event for most drivers. 15 minute or less charging and 400/500 range will be the norm in five years time.
5 Years is a long way away Lofty, glad it suits your needs. I would need (when doing longer runs) 300 miles minimum of charge in a large saloon.

M3 GFY

Reaction score
What're you driving?
Colour Combo
5 Years is a long way away Lofty, glad it suits your needs. I would need (when doing longer runs) 300 miles minimum of charge in a large saloon.
Five years is just enough time for me to enjoy my M3 and for you to enjoy 4 or 5 M5's John.:D

No doubt I will go electric in the end.

Lofty

Reaction score
What're you driving?
GR Yaris
Yes the van is perfect for me but realise electric isn’t suitable for everyone. I was getting the claimed 200 mile range in my van as its mainly around town, but that is starting to drop as the weather turns colder, I think 150 during the winter will be closer to the mark, I am pre heating the interior for 15 minutes each morning which also doesn't help. I think my Mrs would like an electric car but I think it will be a while before I change.

JohnM3E90

Reaction score
What're you driving?
2021 M5 Competition LCI
Colour Combo
Five years is just enough time for me to enjoy my M3 and for you to enjoy 4 or 5 M5's John.:D

No doubt I will go electric in the end.
John I hope you get this M3 soon, you must be going Mad!!!
I can't see me at my age getting more than one more M5 which will be Hybrid I think, times running out for me.

mitsm3

Wearing official underwear
Reaction score
What're you driving?
C43 i3s
Pre heating should be done while plugged in to the charger.

With the i3 I put a departure time and it heats the interior and batteries to the optimum temps, this increases range as your not using battery.
Also melts any ice in the winter so no need for a scraper.

Lofty

Reaction score
What're you driving?
GR Yaris
Pre heating should be done while plugged in to the charger.

With the i3 I put a departure time and it heats the interior and batteries to the optimum temps, this increases range as your not using battery.
Also melts any ice in the winter so no need for a scraper.

My van doesn’t pre heat the battery (I dont think ) its just for comfort, I don't plug it in every night as I only do 30/40 miles per day.

Users who are viewing this thread