matt f

Wearing official crakows
Jun 23, 2012
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 m3
Colour Combo
Jerez black / Silver novello
My friend traded his m2 comp in at bmw..it had decats and map.

matt f

Wearing official crakows
Jun 23, 2012
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 m3
Colour Combo
Jerez black / Silver novello

Gbc80

Wearing official robes
Jan 21, 2022
Reaction score
What're you driving?
F80 M3 Comp
Colour Combo
Tanzanite Blue / Silverstone Grey
Hi All

What's your experiences in purchasing a used M car from BMW.

Is there any specific dealerships to avoid like the plague!
Yes, John Clark…just don’t!
My honest opinion, it’s not worth it buying from dealer. Ideally you buy it from someone you know, an enthusiast here or from a place where you can still get an extended BMW warranty!
If you think buying from BMW main dealer gives you a lot of protection, it doesn’t!
I almost prefer to buy cars from smaller independent good quality garages who depend on their good service an reputation…

Mav8

Wearing official underwear
Oct 18, 2020
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Mineral Grey M3-2014
Yes, John Clark…just don’t!
My honest opinion, it’s not worth it buying from dealer. Ideally you buy it from someone you know, an enthusiast here or from a place where you can still get an extended BMW warranty!
If you think buying from BMW main dealer gives you a lot of protection, it doesn’t!
I almost prefer to buy cars from smaller independent good quality garages who depend on their good service an reputation…
I bought my F80 from John Clark,never saw it in the flesh,they delivered it to me( im in Herts).TBH they were great.I must of asked several times for pics of this vids of that.
They always returned whatever query i asked within 24 hours.
When the car turned up it was even better than i'd hoped for,it was mint. Its all based on your own personal experience and that is mine-i would mot hesitate to go back to them again
Mav8

Gbc80

Wearing official robes
Jan 21, 2022
Reaction score
What're you driving?
F80 M3 Comp
Colour Combo
Tanzanite Blue / Silverstone Grey
I bought my F80 from John Clark,never saw it in the flesh,they delivered it to me( im in Herts).TBH they were great.I must of asked several times for pics of this vids of that.
They always returned whatever query i asked within 24 hours.
When the car turned up it was even better than i'd hoped for,it was mint. Its all based on your own personal experience and that is mine-i would mot hesitate to go back to them again
Mav8
Oh Mav…if only you knew how lucky you were! Just do a quick Google search or FB reviews!

chrisgreen

Wearing official crakows
Dec 23, 2015
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2013 e92 m3
Colour Combo
Space grey/fox red
I think the conclusion is to apply the same due diligence to buying an BMW AUC as if you were privately or any other garage.

kelvin

Apr 29, 2012
Reaction score
What're you driving?
F90 M5
Colour Combo
Alpine white
I purchased a low mileage one owner F10 M5 from barrons BMW part of the deal was a 2 year AUC warranty. I really liked the car was in good condition with no faults at all
Just before the warranty expired it had a fault with the comfort access so I booked it in at my local dealer Cottwold BMW when I collected the car I was informed that it had previously been mapped prior to my ownership and the drive train would no longer be covered and I would not be able to take out the comprehensive bmw warranty as it would e useless
After a very stressful few weeks I was given a full refund from the original dealer this was during covid so a replacement was even more expensive to purchase
I would always buy an AUC car purely for the warranty and the option to take out the bmw comprehensive warranty when the AUC one expires
What I would say though is that the car was really good and most likely continued to be so

Karan 00

Rocking a new hat
Mar 30, 2017
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Mercedes
I purchased a low mileage one owner F10 M5 from barrons BMW part of the deal was a 2 year AUC warranty. I really liked the car was in good condition with no faults at all
Just before the warranty expired it had a fault with the comfort access so I booked it in at my local dealer Cottwold BMW when I collected the car I was informed that it had previously been mapped prior to my ownership and the drive train would no longer be covered and I would not be able to take out the comprehensive bmw warranty as it would e useless
After a very stressful few weeks I was given a full refund from the original dealer this was during covid so a replacement was even more expensive to purchase
I would always buy an AUC car purely for the warranty and the option to take out the bmw comprehensive warranty when the AUC one expires
What I would say though is that the car was really good and most likely continued to be so

What did they refund you for? The car or the part?

LeGonz

On the path
Sep 30, 2021
Reaction score
What're you driving?
M3 F80
Colour Combo
Azurit/Silverstone 2
Nope.

Let’s be clear here - it is against AUC guidelines to sell a car which has been tuned. Every car which goes through the programme has a test via ISTA - any tuning will be detected and will post a specific code. Every dealer knows to look for this due to the prevalence in the market, and the potential repercussions post sale.

The difficulty is that this software which detects the tuning has only been available since Q4 2020. Any cars bought before this time would not have been picked up. Also, some tuning was not picked up until later software versions, so some cars will have slipped the net. The system is now fairly foolproof in checking for tuning though.

The other issue is head unit manipulation. Any variation to the original software lines (e.g getting CarPlay installed, coding folding mirrors or changing the dials to Alpina Blue, for example), will cause issues if the car ever needs a software update. At this point, the update will crash and the head unit will not work.

The problem is that the first time the dealer will know the head unit has been manipulated is when this happens, and this certainly can’t be detected at AUC. When the unit crashes, the only resolution is to get a SWT reset from BMW AG at a cost of about £250. This is a one time recode, so if someone manipulated the unit again after this reset then the only way to fix is a new head unit.

For these reasons, retailers are getting much more picky about which cars they will sell. If, for example, a car come in with stupid strobing indicators they know this is not a factory option, and will make an informed decision on whether to retail.

There will always be some retailers who push the boundaries, especially when good stock is short, but the guidelines are now far more strict regarding manipulation of any sort.
I bought my AUC in September 2021 with CarPlay already installed by the previous owner who is a cutter. He sold it on to bmw and I bought it from them.
Are you saying my head unit will crash if an update is installed? If so what would my options be.

kelvin

Apr 29, 2012
Reaction score
What're you driving?
F90 M5
Colour Combo
Alpine white
What did they refund you for? The car or the part?
The total cost of the car I basically rejected it as not fit for purpose because I would not purchase an m car if I could not take out the BMW warranty

AndyE

Wearing official crakows
Dec 10, 2011
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2016 M4
Colour Combo
SS II / full black merino
My friend traded his m2 comp in at bmw..it had decats and map.

I am sure they will take any car in PX whether a fiat 500 or a Ferrari, doesn’t mean they will re sell it on their own forecourt.

I only say this as I had warranty work refused (albeit right at the end of the warranty) due to a remap. I can’t recall what they called it officially but it put a marker on the car somewhere.

About 12 months later I was back in the dealership I bought the car from originally talking to the salesman, and I mentioned it was basically black balled, he wasn’t bothered, just means it goes out to auction rather than ending up as an auc again.

Jabba77

Dec 28, 2019
Reaction score
What're you driving?
BMW G82 M4 Comp
Colour Combo
Frozen Brilliant White/Black
I bought my AUC in September 2021 with CarPlay already installed by the previous owner who is a cutter. He sold it on to bmw and I bought it from them.
Are you saying my head unit will crash if an update is installed? If so what would my options be.
If it is CarPlay installed through Connected Drive from BMW then no. If it was installed as a retrofit via a third party then almost certainly it would crash during a software update of any relevant components.

At this stage a dealer can get an SWT a code from BMW AG which will put the head unit back to the factory software (minus the CarPlay). If this was coded again following this time, a further SWT code would not work and would require head unit replacement.

HannsG

Wearing official crakows
Feb 22, 2014
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2018 F83 M4 Competition, 2011 E70 X5, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Hi All

What's your experiences in purchasing a used M car from BMW.

Is there any specific dealerships to avoid like the plague!
Not my M. But many moons ago i bought a used 2003 Z4 3.0i SE. 2011 was the year i think i purchased?

It was fantastic from start to finish IMHO. as a used car buy it was flawless and they honoured all manner of things including a full wheel refurb.

Mercedes on the otherhand are completely feckless and to be avoided in my personal opinion. I was a Mercedes diehard until i had a terrible experience and it ended up in the sales fella getting sacked for gross misconduct. Thats how bad my used car experience there went.

Stratstone? Never again

Users who are viewing this thread