BMW 3 series pre-facelift E46 bumper issues

Discussion in '1 Series, 2 Series, 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series and 8 Series' started by thewalrus, Jun 5, 2021.

1. 5 Jun 2021 at 5:59 PM #1
    thewalrus

thewalrus A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    BMW E46 2002 320CI Sport LPG
    Dear All,

It's been a while since I posted here as I normally post on another BMW forum, I don't have an M3, I have a standard 2002 E46 CI Sport Coupe 2.2 its pre-facelift and I want to replace the pusher / aux fan. I cannot get the bumper off for some reason. I watched a few videos on youtube and there are surprisingly few, I have got the bolts off and the fog lights however when I go to pull on the bumper it seems to be totally fixed. Do you have any idea as to what is holding this bumper on? On this short video I don't hear him say any reference to clips or anything, he doesn't even jack the car up or remove the headlights so I am at a loss as to get the bumper off. I don't want to pay a mechanic £50 for labour as I don't mind getting my hands dirty but I spent hours on this and got nowhere. Thanks in advance.

2. 5 Jun 2021 at 6:42 PM #2
    M3 Matty

M3 Matty Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    2003 BMW M3 & BMW 330ci convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Topaz Blue / Grey (M3) and fern green/ black (330)
    Mine came off exactly as shown on the video, but I noticed that the bumper needs to be removed with it running parallel to the car else the bumper gets wedged with the two side brackets at the ends of the bumper near the wheel arches

3. 6 Jun 2021 at 8:22 AM #3
    thewalrus

thewalrus A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    So there are no special clips then you just pull it forwards? Do the brackets you speak of need to be adjusted in any way? I did notice the bumper kind of lips around the wheel arch, am I just not pulling it hard enough?

4. 6 Jun 2021 at 8:37 AM #4
    M3 Matty

What're you driving?:
    Colour Combo:
    Well mine wasn’t especially stiff tbh, just awkward. if you can jack up the front of the car, you should be able to see the white clips that hold the sides of the bumper, I’d suggest unscrewing these from the bodywork, but if that still doesn’t work then I’m at a loss tbh. You might have to remove the front section of the inner wheel arches to do this for access, I can’t remember now sorry.

5. 6 Jun 2021 at 8:43 AM #5
    M3 Matty

What're you driving?:
    Colour Combo:
    Type in 51118195296 on eBay to see the bracket to look for, or something similar, that was is for my own car tbh, they may differ between car styles

6. 6 Jun 2021 at 9:50 AM #6
    thewalrus

thewalrus A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    Well I just looked on pelican parts site and it says there are clips on the wheel arch and under the bumper but the video above does not appear to mention any clips. I'll have to look at the car and see what I find.

7. 6 Jun 2021 at 9:58 AM #7
    thewalrus

thewalrus A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    Well having looked on pelican parts there are a few bolts to undo, one on the wheel trim arch and under the bumper itself as well as self expanding plastic clips. I have to undo these to then, I can't believe that guy in the video didnt mention this?

8. 6 Jun 2021 at 7:10 PM #8
    M3 Matty

What're you driving?:
    Colour Combo:
    How did you get on with this in the end? Did you manage to get the bumper off?

9. 7 Jun 2021 at 6:08 PM #9
    thewalrus

thewalrus A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    I never got around to it, I Will try at the weekend or sooner, I had second covid jab yesterday so shoulder a bit sore - hurts to lift arm up never mind manoeuvrer a bumper and aux fan around lol. Besides that I am fine though.

10. 12 Jun 2021 at 2:03 PM #10
    thewalrus

thewalrus A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    Well I I finally got the bumper off however the plastic bit he refers to when he says "a minute to do this one" at 3.36 I found the plastic screws, they screw around but don't come out leading me to think there is a device behind it they screw into that is also not fixed or they would come out. But anyway I cannot get that plastic piece out, the bottom bit wiggles however it just seems SOOO fixed it is like there must be more holding it in. I can see how the plastic joins up to other bits of the car either side of it and there must be more to come out surely?

11. 12 Jun 2021 at 2:08 PM #11
    thewalrus

thewalrus A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    on this video at 7:11on this video he just pulls it out having only taken the plastic screws out.

12. 12 Jun 2021 at 2:23 PM #12
    thewalrus

thewalrus A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    I'd like to show you that but I can't work out how to add a photo to the furum.

Even though the screws go around and around the around the plastic can't be prised off

13. 12 Jun 2021 at 3:57 PM #13
    thewalrus

thewalrus A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    ok I discovered from another bmw forum that these are expanding rivets, sadly three broke while trynig to get them off. i cant understand why bmw did just use normal bolts .

14. 13 Jun 2021 at 9:52 AM #14
    thewalrus

thewalrus A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    After removing the fan I discovered the new fan I had ordered turned out to be the wrong one despite the part number coming from the realoem website. It clearly has my car 320 labelled on it and I gave the parts seller my Reg number and he said it should be perfect, anyway someone on another forum suggested I swap the housing over but he had no experience to share, has anyone here done this? Thanks in advance.

15. 13 Jun 2021 at 12:44 PM #15
    thewalrus

thewalrus A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    OK well today I took the old fan apart to see the control module, it had a wire that was going to the computer however that had corroded and disconnected, it had been reconnected with solder now and when I turn the car on the fan does not spin, mind you the new fan did not spin either so I presume I need a warm engine to do this.

On another note, I can't see why everyone is saying an electric fan replacement is good enough to run the car without the aircon/pusher fan being in place as well and yet the viscous cooling fan is not good enough when it blows plenty of air around. Has anyone any thoughts on this? Do electric fans push air faster than the viscous cooling fan on automatics? Thank in advance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)