BM54 Repairs and Upgrades Information

Discussion in 'Carphonics' started by XKaLiBaR, Jul 20, 2013.

1. 20 Jul 2013 at 11:15 PM #1
    XKaLiBaR

XKaLiBaR Sponsor

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 Manual
    Colour Combo:
    Red/Red
    What your BM54 unit looks like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note, there are many different part numbers, but the units are the same. The only difference is the firmware version on them.

Types of BM54 Faults

- Amp Upgrade. The most common one, is the IC Amps failing and causing one or more speaker to stop functioning, or causing distortion. This can happen permanently, or after about 10 seconds to a minute of switching it on. And if you are really unlucky all 4 channels would have gone off. As long as you can still change radio channels, switch between Modes, and the amber light is still ON, next to the volume knob, then the unit is 100% repairable.
    The bonus of having this repair done, is that the sound will be improved. The usual power output is 15-20 watts, and the after the repair, you are running 45 watts.

-Speaker faults. As these cars are getting older, I have been seeing more and more speakers failing. The best and cheapest way to test this, is to use a multimeter. Here is a diagram of the pin out for the BM54 connection.

[​IMG]

So with the multimeter set on the lowest ohm reading, you want to measure the + and - of each speaker input. The BM54 does not need to be plugged in for this, infact, its best to not have it plugged in, for a cleaner test. All speakers should read 4 ohms. Anything less, and its not 100% healthy. Usually, when it reaches 0, the speaker is dead. So the channels are as follows,
    Pins 1 and 5 is for Rear Right Speaker
    Pins 2 and 6 is for Front Right Speaker
    Pins 3 and 7 is for Front Left Speaker
    Pins 4 and 8 is for Rear Left Speaker
    This test does not work on cars with DSP or Harmon Kardon upgrades, as the speaker wires do not travel directly to the speakers.

-Processor chip replacement. Buzzing, squealing type noise as shown in the video below.

This fault usually starts at very low volumes, and eventually spreads like a virus, to the point that you hear at all volume, bass, treble settings. Again, 100% repairable.
    It is very rare to have both amps fail, and this fault to happen at the same time. However, if you do have both faults, I can do one of them half price.

-No power. The amber light next to volume knob is OFF, and the controls on the left side stop functioning. The first thing you should do, is disconnect the BM54 unit for 30 minutes, and reconnect again. This will occasionally bring it back to life. The repair success on these are 65%.

-Water damaged. Check for water damage inside, especially on X5s, where the water can sit at the bottom of the boot. Water damaged is NOT repairable. I have plenty of these water damaged units, my bm54 graveyard. Plenty of 100% working units available in stock.

Additional Upgrades

- RCA Preouts Channel Outs for aftermarket amps, is also available on request from a cost of £30. Will also come with 12v Remote cable for easy plug and play for your aftermarket amp and sub installation.

Auxiliary input options
    -Bluetooth Music Streaming via mobile phone, which does not effect the Bluetooth connection you already have in your car for phone calls. This is available for £60.

-Iphone/Ipod connection, which will charge your device and play music via the car. This is the 30pin connection and the cost is £50.

-3.5mm Jack cable, default is usually a male connection. You can have female also, which can make a nice OEM installation somewhere in your car. The cost for either male or female is £20.

Please note, all cabled AUX inputs are 4-5 meters long.

-Custom jobs are also available, please end me an email or with your specifics.

Address To Send Your Unit To

Please follow link, and print out the form. Please fill in as much detail as possible. If you have any questions, do let me know. LINK

If you you do not have access to a printer, please just write clearly on a piece of paper, and place in your parcel.

Please always feel free to call me on +447958499151, if you require any advice or to ask questions about your BMW System.

2. 11 Sep 2013 at 12:03 PM #2
    joshm3

joshm3 Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    M3 DCT 60 Plate
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral white with red leather :)
    Is there ways to check hk speakers.. But sure if mine are ok on some songs the quality of sound is good others its terrible. Cheers

3. 11 Sep 2013 at 3:40 PM #3
    XKaLiBaR

XKaLiBaR Sponsor

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 Manual
    Colour Combo:
    Red/Red
    Is the tracks which are terrible, constantly terrible through out the track?

4. 9 Oct 2013 at 12:46 PM #4
    MattHaley

MattHaley Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 coupe
    Colour Combo:
    silver/black
    Hi Baris. I have a question regarding the remote wire you can add. Does it switch on the amps only when the stereo is turned on; or when the ignition is turned on, regardless of whether the stereo is on or off?

5. 14 Feb 2014 at 11:28 AM #5
    XKaLiBaR

XKaLiBaR Sponsor

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 Manual
    Colour Combo:
    Red/Red
    I believe you can have it either way. I will check and confirm.

6. 29 Jul 2015 at 11:46 AM #6
    Joe M

Joe M Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2003 M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    Titan Silver / Black
    Hi Baris,
    Can you do a USB auxiliary socket that will charge and play?

7. 11 Sep 2015 at 7:36 PM #7
    gavmc

gavmc Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    53 M3 Vert
    Colour Combo:
    Imola Red and Nappa Black
    Hi Baris can you confirm which option applies? I'm planning to send you mine for an upgrade soon and would prefer it if the amp turned on with stereo.

8. 24 Oct 2015 at 10:11 AM #8
    Jacksonm3

Jacksonm3 Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 coupe smg
    Colour Combo:
    Titan silver Red nappa
    Hi how much would it be to have track/album listings displayed and ipod/iphone connectivity installed
    Cheers

9. 26 Oct 2015 at 12:38 PM #9
    XKaLiBaR

XKaLiBaR Sponsor

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 Manual
    Colour Combo:
    Red/Red
    You would need an OEM Mp3 Changer. With that, a firmware upgrade would be needed on the bm54 to allow the iD3 tags.

You can have an auxiliary input, but auxiliary is not data, so if you are looking for track name stuff only, you need to replace the cd changer with sometime like an intravee.

10. 9 Mar 2016 at 9:15 AM #10
    KeFF0r

KeFF0r Wearing official robes

What're you driving?:
    2003 E46 M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    Silver grey / Black
    Hello

I recently installed an MP3 cd changer and would love to have ID3 tags

What is the cost of the firmware upgrade? And do I have to send you my unit for it to be done or can I do it?

Thanks

Faz

11. 9 Mar 2016 at 12:03 PM #11
    XKaLiBaR

XKaLiBaR Sponsor

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 Manual
    Colour Combo:
    Red/Red
    The cost for just the firmware upgrade is £40, plus postage. You would need to send in your unit.

Or you can go for the stage 2 amp upgrade (£149.99), which will boost the current output of 20-25watts per channel to 50rms watts per channel and you get the firmware upgrade and postage free of charge.

12. 21 Mar 2016 at 6:24 PM #12
    Cashley

Cashley On the path

What're you driving?:
    2003 BMW E46 Coupe
    I have one of your nav discs in my 03 M3, sent you PM with some questions I have

13. 24 Mar 2016 at 12:28 PM #13
    keithe46

keithe46 Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    E46 SMG Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    PY E46
    Hi Baris, I see you can offer Bluetooth music streaming.....excuse my ignorance but will I need Bluetooth in the car already to allow this??

Cheers

14. 24 Mar 2016 at 12:37 PM #14
    XKaLiBaR

XKaLiBaR Sponsor

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 Manual
    Colour Combo:
    Red/Red
    Nope, just the sat nav system. :thumbsup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)