Bike Season Coming

Discussion in 'Bikes. Trikes?' started by stuartk, Mar 11, 2021.

1. 30 May 2021 at 11:11 AM #61
    Dcdad43

Dcdad43 Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    E92 M3
    Got out for 70 miles yesterday. First time back on the bike for about 8 or 9 years after getting it recommissioned. The invisibility cloak was still working though, dopes wandering across the centre line onto my side of the road, including one ambulance:bugeye:. Reminded me if I needed any reminding that you can't really relax on or bike or someone will do for you. At least on a track day you don't get people pulling out on you and everyone is heading in the same direction.
    Had a chat with a couple of other Ducati riders and some old boy who was just sitting enjoying the evening sun in the town square. I think he thought my bike was some new fangled new model, he seemed a bit surprised when I told him it was nearly 20 years old.
    My clutch hand was worn out by the time I got home, a few other aches but that used to happen after getting back on the road in spring anyway, never mind an 9 year layoff.
    Take it easy out there.:peace:

stuartk, T5Pilot, Alex88 and 2 others like this.
  2. 1 Jun 2021 at 9:59 AM #62
    jsm

jsm Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    C63
    Looking for some advice lads, I have just passed my CBT and will do my DAS in the coming months. I'm reluctant to buy a 125, use it for a few months (sell it) and buy a K5/K6 GSXR750. Do I skip the 125 and buy the 750 sooner?
    I'm 35, have 2-3 car policies (do these help with insurance at all?)
    Will I get insured?
    Anything else to think about?

Thanks,

3. 1 Jun 2021 at 10:11 AM #63
    Alex88

Alex88 Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    G31 530D Xdrive
    Definitely skip the 125 imo. Never understood the notion of getting experience on one, it's total BS. Seen plenty of people fail big bike tests after thinking they were experienced from months or even years riding a 125. All that happens is people pick up bad habits and it's totally different to riding a big bike in terms of how the bike behaves because of the extra weight and power. Just do the DAS and buy the bike you want.

You'll get insured but first year on anything has the potential to be expensive, especially supersports as they're a theft magnet as well as a crash one. Some insurers ask about your car ncb and may take it into consideration.

Buy the best gear you can afford if you haven't already. Good luck :thumbsup:

Mabs27 and jsm like this.
  4. 1 Jun 2021 at 10:48 AM #64
    toiletduck

toiletduck Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    F80
    125s are mega for getting around town, I did about 10k miles on mine in the 5 months between doing CBT and then doing a 4 day DAS course (the other guy with me fell off his bike and failed his module1). I found it all super easy (having done the hustle and bustle in London for thousands of miles) but it depends what your roadcraft is like. If you're a liability in a car then chances are you'll want an instructor there for the first few miles on a bike lol (my instructor told me I did too many life savers while riding around, I told him it's because in London if you don't check over your shoulder every 2 seconds then it's easy for a Deliveroo psycho to sneak into your blindspot to which his retort was "are we in London?" which was fair enough!!)

You won't be going on many ride outs on a 125 though, so don't get one if you just want to turn up at biker cafes with friends.

The other thing that's worth avoiding 125s for is how badly you get treated on the road. The difference in people's driving behaviour around me on a 125 (tested with and without L plates once I'd passed) is utterly perplexing. It's like people try to intimidate you and have less patience when they see an L plate.

Mabs27 and jsm like this.
  5. 1 Jun 2021 at 11:18 AM #65
    stuartk

stuartk Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    None
    Colour Combo:
    NA
    I went straight onto an R6 and first year I did TPFT insurance as it wasn’t worth getting comp. after a year your insurance will be a fraction of the cost.

jsm likes this.
  6. 12 Jun 2021 at 9:29 PM #66
    Railgun

Railgun Underwear thermally upgraded

What're you driving?:
    M4, RX-7, CBR600RR
    Colour Combo:
    SMB/Black
    So I just did my first track day at Brands on Tuesday. I could be hooked. But man I’ve got a long way to go.

Lotta cowboys out there even in the “novice” group. Plenty of offs too, including me, though was a minor thing and no damage all around.

Now to figure out how to get a tow hook on the car…

stuartk likes this.
  7. 13 Jun 2021 at 12:07 AM #67
    T5Pilot

T5Pilot Underwear thermally upgraded

What're you driving?:
    F82 M4CP & S1000XR
    Colour Combo:
    Black Sapphire / Sakhir Orange / Carbon
    Yeah, I’ve had some cracking rides these last couple of weeks.
    Can’t wait until the 23rd, Spain for 2 weeks of sheer fun.

stuartk and Mabs27 like this.
  8. 15 Jun 2021 at 2:57 PM #68
    markovkin

markovkin A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    F11 520d FL
    Done my first evening track day at Brands too, but back in May. out of both groups about 10 people crashed :blink:. But honestly I've never had so much fun on the bike (got a 1000cc gsxr :halm:).

Railgun likes this.
  9. 15 Jun 2021 at 3:48 PM #69
    ShaunC

ShaunC Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    2007 BMW M3
    Do most of the track day providers now require a brake lever guard?
    I've always heard the Brands evening track days have quite a high crash rate.

10. 15 Jun 2021 at 3:49 PM #70
    markovkin

markovkin A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    F11 520d FL
    Yes they do mate. That is a 2021 rule now for every track day apparently.

ShaunC likes this.
  11. 15 Jun 2021 at 5:10 PM #71
    Railgun

What're you driving?:
    M4, RX-7, CBR600RR
    Colour Combo:
    SMB/Black
    There are a lot of wannabe Guy Martins out there. I too ran out of talent into Druids, and it was a very stupid thing....but it was very minor and got it out of the way I guess. There were probably around eight or so offs across the whole day. Ish... Plus it was the GP track.

For my part, was just trying to get a feel for it and sort out the cluster that is my positioning. Brother in law has already shot an invite to Snetterton in July. We'll need to sort out some logistics if I'm going to do that.

I ended up with a Rizoma brake guard. Only because I already have a few Rizoma parts on and just wanted to keep it same same. Taking the old bar end off though...what a nightmare. The dremel worked overtime.

ShaunC likes this.
  12. 17 Jun 2021 at 9:58 AM #72
    Dan Withey

Dan Withey On the path

What're you driving?:
    2019 F82 M4, ZX10R
    Colour Combo:
    White
    I do need to get back out on track and I've had the ZX10 for 5 years now and I still haven't used it on track. I think i'm a little scared of it tbh. I loved my ZX636 on track it was perfect but I think I just need to man up.

I do follow a few trackday forums and the amount of people that talk like they eash session is a race, is just silly. Showing videos of the pass and late minute drives up the inside of someone.

M3Jones08 likes this.
  13. 17 Jun 2021 at 8:50 PM #73
    Railgun

What're you driving?:
    M4, RX-7, CBR600RR
    Colour Combo:
    SMB/Black
    Yeah. That’s how it was. Had a few folks take a risk as they passed me on the outside as I was coming out of a turn. Would be their ass in the grass. Not mine.

Brother in law was apparently clipped as someone passed.

14. 17 Jun 2021 at 9:07 PM #74
    JoePeps

JoePeps Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    M3/XJS/V4S
    Colour Combo:
    Santorini
    Id guess those riders are in the slower groups trying to big themselves up. Typically the better the rider the less of a dick they are from what I’ve found in the last 3 years.

M3Jones08 likes this.
  15. 12 Jul 2021 at 8:09 PM #75
    T5Pilot

What're you driving?:
    F82 M4CP & S1000XR
    Colour Combo:
    Just got back from my Spain trip. Done just under 3k miles in total, absolutely epic. Ferries are virtually empty, which made a very pleasant change.

NBB and stuartk like this.
  16. 12 Jul 2021 at 8:14 PM #76
    Dan Withey

Dan Withey On the path

What're you driving?:
    2019 F82 M4, ZX10R
    Colour Combo:
    White
    Very jealous. Where did you visit, any tracks?

I bet on that XR you will comfy all the way as well.

17. 13 Jul 2021 at 9:54 AM #77
    T5Pilot

What're you driving?:
    F82 M4CP & S1000XR
    Colour Combo:
    No, no tracks, just scenic stuff.
    From the ferry at Santander, we went to Pamplona, based there for 5 nights. Daily rides & in/out of France, mainly the Pyrenees mountains.
    From there we went over to Fermoselle, based there for 4 nights. Daily rides took us in/out of Portugal.
    Then the final stint was in the Picos mountains, based in Las Arenas for 5 nights. The weather is always dodgy here, but we were really lucky this year with only having rain on 2 of the days there.
    It’s a great trip tbh. Already planning next years!
    Yeah, the XR really is one fantastic bike for sure. Super comfortable riding all day, with speed & handling as much as you want. Perfect bike tbh imo.

stuartk likes this.
  18. 15 Jul 2021 at 10:38 AM #78
    Dcdad43

Dcdad43 Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    E92 M3
    Had the pleasure of a bike night ride to the local bike meet with a Manx GP winner last night. He stopped a few times to let me catch up.:( His yamaha TZR 250 stroker with race expansion pipes drew as much attention as anything in the parking.

The best bits is seeing young kids looking at the bikes with dads in full "I used to have one of those before I met your mum" or "your mum used to perch on the back of that" nostalgia stories.

Lovely evening weather.

jsm likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)