Best engine oil E46 M3

Raif

Flexing a golden cincture
Mar 20, 2017
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 M3
The motul 5w50 has been specially designed for high revving engines, certainly no cold start thrashing on my car. I did a lot of research and spoke to various engine builders and it was a recurring recommendation on the oil. Went with Steve (Mr Vanos) can’t fault one bit of his work and support was outstanding. Happy to follow his recommendations to the letter.
Nothing was aimed at you pr your engine builder. I wasnt suggesting that you thrash your car from cold either (even more reason to stick with 10W60 imo)

I'll just leave it there anyway. Everyone's requirements are different and understanding the difference between SAE 50 and SAE 60 are key.

I like to use my engine a certain way once hot and throw in the occasional track day where temps creep north of 100 degC so having anything other than SAE 60 in there is not an option.

As long as everyone is enjoying their car in good health it's all good

GavB

Wearing official robes
Sep 4, 2012
Reaction score
What're you driving?
F80 M3 & E46 M3 cs
No no mate didn’t think you were having a pop at all good to have a discussion on it, there’s always more than one way to skin a cat.

Raif

Mar 20, 2017
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 M3
Yes but how many ways are there to protect an engine that revs to 8k and has very high cylinder pressures :D. I'm cynical because even the greatest engine builders in the world don't have the resources to test the effects of different grades in a controlled way. Only the manufacturers have the instrumentation to measure cylinder pressures and the resources to run controlled durability tests on many engine rigs where the only variable is oil.

You can tear down and inspect as many customer engines as you like which have run the same grade oil for the same kind of mileage but they are all going to have different wear due to the user so you can't come to any conclusions.

5w50 isnt a huge a leap and it's only at the upper end where protection will be compromised over a 60 grade oil. Maybe the same people wouldn't recommend 5w50 for the S65.

The thing is there are people driving around with 0w30 in their S65 because of what someone from a "tuning shop" or engine builder has said on the internet :confused:

M3Dream

Achieved official socks
Oct 2, 2016
Reaction score
What're you driving?
M3 e46 Estoril Blue Convertible
Colour Combo
Estoril Blue / Champagne Leather
Any body know any where with a deal on for this oil Castrol Edge 10w-60??

oilman

Sponsor
Sep 15, 2009
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2004 clue x5

lee gray

Wearing official crakows
Apr 10, 2012
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2005 m3
Colour Combo
silverstone
Wasnt there some oil samples done of the castrol 10w60 that confirmed it actually brakes down to to a 10w50 within a 1000 miles or so? Or have a totally made that up?
Anyway off to put my bullet proof vest on

oilman

Sponsor
Sep 15, 2009
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2004 clue x5
I do not know about that Castrol test.

All engine oils will thin (shear down) over time and some more so than others, one of the reasons we change them.

Cheers,

Guy

Nunga

Wearing official crakows
Apr 5, 2015
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2003 E46 M3 manual
Colour Combo
Mystic Blue/Laser Anthrazit Stoff
Resurrecting an oldish thread because I hate starting new ones…

During my ownership my car has had two types of oil; Castrol’s 10W60 in its various iterations and from 2020 Millers 10W60 (red, not yellow), so the last four or five oil changes and, well everything is fine. Car has been to the Ring a few times and pounded plenty of limiter and done plenty of skids. Problem is since Boris ruined everything with Brexit it’s become very expensive and time consuming to get Millers here in Germany. So considering alternatives now.

What are people using some two years on? Has anything new popped up? If Millers is still a popular choice I might just bite the bullet, but I was thinking Motul 300V or Liqui Moly Synthoil Race Tech.

R60BBA

Jun 25, 2018
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2002 E46 M3 Coupe / 2004 Mini Cooper S
Colour Combo
Carbon Schwarz / Dark Silver

During my ownership my car has had two types of oil; Castrol’s 10W60 in its various iterations and from 2020 Millers 10W60 (red, not yellow), so the last four or five oil changes and, well everything is fine. Car has been to the Ring a few times and pounded plenty of limiter and done plenty of skids. Problem is since Boris ruined everything with Brexit it’s become very expensive and time consuming to get Millers here in Germany. So considering alternatives now.

What are people using some two years on? Has anything new popped up? If Millers is still a popular choice I might just bite the bullet, but I was thinking Motul 300V or Liqui Moly Synthoil Race Tech.
Just go back to Castrol mate.

Alex5000

Achieved official socks
Nov 30, 2013
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2005 e46 M3 Coupe, Manual, Non-sunroof
Colour Combo
Carbon Black / Kiwi
Just go back to Castrol mate.
We know Castrol is a good oil since there are cars out there which have done big miles on it and probably at the factory interval.

I’ve said it many times; why change to an unknown? By that I mean, unless you have a oil laboratory and millions of miles of data you can’t say whether any of the alternatives are any better…

Stick to Castrol and run a shorter interval.

Mel279

On the path
Aug 21, 2015
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2002 E46 M3
I use liquid moly 10w60 for the last 4 services, no issue arise and currently mileage at 190k km, bought the car around 136k km.
Just to update, Im using championlubes oil because liqui moly getting expensive, so far the mileage its almost 400k km, no rod bearing done & no vanos rebuild done, but currently with the new owner and its just surpass 400k km mileage. Major repair done only rebuild diff axel washer replaced and both cv joint replaced due to that damn washer play.

klan8456

Standard amice donned
Jan 27, 2018
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2003 BMW M3

Fuchs Titan Pro S

Tetney

Achieved official socks
Jan 23, 2018
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2002 BMW M3 Coupe
Colour Combo
Titan Silver/Black
Just bought some Fuchs for mine. Previously run Motul 10W60 which has been excellent - good warm up and very consistent oil temps compared to Castrol.

Hoping Fuchs will be just as good.

klan8456

Standard amice donned
Jan 27, 2018
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2003 BMW M3
Just bought some Fuchs for mine. Previously run Motul 10W60 which has been excellent - good warm up and very consistent oil temps compared to Castrol.

Hoping Fuchs will be just as good.
Looking at the tech specs, the Fuchs is thicker at both lower and higher temps than Castrol, which suits me perfectly fine as the car doesn’t get driven in winter, and even if it did the garage doesn’t get below 16 degrees.

I believe it to be a higher quality oil than the Castrol, HOWEVER it is intended for race engines, so that means no 10k oil change intervals, and be careful with warmup. I change mine every 5k miles or so.

Tetney

Achieved official socks
Jan 23, 2018
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2002 BMW M3 Coupe
Colour Combo
Titan Silver/Black
Looking at the tech specs, the Fuchs is thicker at both lower and higher temps than Castrol, which suits me perfectly fine as the car doesn’t get driven in winter, and even if it did the garage doesn’t get below 16 degrees.

I believe it to be a higher quality oil than the Castrol, HOWEVER it is intended for race engines, so that means no 10k oil change intervals, and be careful with warmup. I change mine every 5k miles or so.
Likewise - only driven in the summer so suits me just fine.

I like to change oil every 5000 miles. For the minimal outlay and effort I don't see why people wait so long.

Users who are viewing this thread