Ben's SG progress thread

Discussion in 'Member Rides' started by YoungBenny, May 5, 2019.

1. 13 Apr 2020 at 12:32 PM #61
    YoungBenny

YoungBenny Wearing official robes

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    Happy Easter Monday! Been a while. Not a lot going on recently due to the obvious, but stuck to my word from the last post and changed my lens seals as well as the little rubber strips behind the headlight washer trim panel.

[​IMG]

Also thought I'd share some pics I came across that I took on a drive in December. The day turned a bit gloomy, unfortunately showcasing the leaking headlight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally this weekend I had planned to do my service and a few other jobs, but managed to get the service done at work, so had a bit of a break from cars over the weekend. Last year I changed all the filters, apart from the fuel filter which I somehow never got round to, so only a small one required this year. Only done around 2,500 miles since last year but always worth an annual oil change, changed the fuel filter at last and flushed out the brake fluid.

Nice to see that the oil was still pretty clean as you'd expect, and no shiny bits to be seen. I never seem to order the genuine BMW filters in time but have quick access to the Bosch items which I trust, but will stockpile some genuine/Mahle items for the future.

[​IMG]

Cleaned the filter housing out with paper towel not a rag, so if any small bits come off they will burn up and cause no damage, then put the filter in and filled the area around the filter with some fresh oil so as not to starve it on first start up. Some of these pics are a bit blurry as I got a small oil smudge on my camera lens and didn't realise for a while :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And gave my filler cap a quick spruce with a wire brush while the oil was draining, unfortunately I didn't think about the bolt but there's plenty more in the engine to polish up - filler cap included - that will keep me busy if I kept at home too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Changed out the fuel filter which appeared to have already been done at some point! I'd imagine this to be rare on an 83k mile car when it's not part of the service schedule. Removed fuse 54 so I could build up the fuel pressure before the first start.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally flushed out the brake fluid with 2 litres of Castrol React and cleaned up the hubs and spacers while it was going on. The car would have had a brake fluid change in the care of the previous owner while the BBK was fitted and the fluid was not visually dirty by any stretch, but since nearly 2 years had passed it was critical to me to get it done. Brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it readily absorbs moisture (such as in the air) through any permeable section of the braking system. Over time by increasing the water content this reduces the boiling point of the fluid, so it is an essential part of maintenance.

[​IMG]

'Old' slightly orange fluid.

[​IMG]

Bleeding it out from the furthest caliper, always starting from the outer bleed nipple.

[​IMG]

Wrapped a rag around the top as a little bit of safety if I miss the reservoir (note the lighter yellow fluid - the light makes it look a bit dirty on second glance), then when done the nipples were torqued down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I must have just got used to the brakes as the pedal is noticeably firmer now, a great improvement.

And finally, having a bit of money in my Paypal account, opted for some new side repeaters on the recommendation of @lambert. They are Depo branded off eBay, as much as I'm a stickler for OEM the genuine BMW items are just not good enough in this instance. Started developing moisture inside not long after I bought them and seems to be a universal issue.

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading, hopefully this kills 5 minutes for you on another consecutive day off :thumbsup2:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Keith, grchmason, Fry and 3 others like this.
  2. 13 Apr 2020 at 4:58 PM #62
    huseyin1

huseyin1 On the path

What're you driving?:
    2004 Convertible BMW M3, 2004 Coupe Track (In Progress)
    Colour Combo:
    Vert: Grey with Red Leather Interior, Coupe: Will Be Alpine white
    Very clean and awesome build mate. loving the work your doing keep it up :thumbsup:

3. 13 Apr 2020 at 5:52 PM #63
    portland

portland Wearing official robes

What're you driving?:
    2002 M3 cab, 2003 M3 CSL
    Any tips on replacing the headlight seals - I've had a pair in the garage waiting to go on for about a year, but don't know where to start.

Did you take the lights out to do them?

4. 13 Apr 2020 at 6:01 PM #64
    YoungBenny

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    Thank you my friend

Nope, just the lenses. Indicators need to come out and the lower washer trim needs to come back or off. Headlight lens just unclips very easily with a trim tool or probably even your fingers if its warm, 3 tabs top and bottom, 1 either side. Try not to get any dust in the lenses. The old seal comes out as easily as the new one goes in. Just wipe any water out of the groove if they've been leaking and then I peeled a bit of sticky backing off and started in a tight corner, then pushed the rest of the seal in before peeling the rest of the sticky off while keeping it pushed in. The lens is a lot stiffer to push in with a new seal so be warned. Make sure all the tabs have gone into place. They make a satisfying 'doink' which helps :D

portland likes this.
  5. 13 Apr 2020 at 6:22 PM #65
    lambert

lambert Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    Fantastic work Ben. Always love a catch up on this thread! Awesome.

:beer:

6. 13 Apr 2020 at 6:59 PM #66
    portland

portland Wearing official robes

What're you driving?:
    2002 M3 cab, 2003 M3 CSL
    super, many thanks.

7. 13 Apr 2020 at 8:28 PM #67
    YoungBenny

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    Same to you James. We'll see each other soon :(

lambert likes this.
  8. 13 Apr 2020 at 9:02 PM #68
    E46Ash

E46Ash Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    Megane 250
    Nice work mate

A lot of similar little bits I’ve got planned for mine to get it up to scratch

9. 15 Apr 2020 at 5:55 PM #69
    Rob043

Rob043 Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    Looking again i see you mean the allen head in the end! just ignore me. although again it was perhaps a 5mm when it started life and the corrosion has expanded to reduce that. Looks miles better already though.

10. 15 Apr 2020 at 6:14 PM #70
    E46Ash

E46Ash Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    Megane 250
    Enjoying the progress on this! Car is looking good

11. 16 Apr 2020 at 6:55 AM #71
    YoungBenny

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    Thanks Ash, still a way to go but neans a lot :thumbsup2:

Yeah in the end, I thought that's what you meant! They're not too expensive so will probably buy new in the future.

12. 19 Apr 2020 at 12:16 PM #72
    mjyeams

mjyeams A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    2003 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    Loving the build thread, and excellent photography, @YoungBenny. Great work!

YoungBenny likes this.
  13. 1 Aug 2020 at 7:41 PM #73
    YoungBenny

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    Plenty of updates large and small for the thread. Being fortunate enough to continue working throughout the entire pandemic, I was able to keep buying bits here and there but wasn't so bored I cleaned the car every other day.

First up was the addition of Storm Motorwerks weighted gearknob and handbrake combination. Now I already have an Autosolutions SSK and a Clusport weighted knob, but this only weights around 180g. This new Storm V2 comes in at a weighty 450g! And yes, you definitely notice a difference. The Autosolutions kit is very notchy (in a good way) and the extra heft makes it go in just that little easier to achieve the satisfying clunk. I opted for the Titanium finish as I felt the Aluminium would clash with the identical interior trim, and chose the M style emblem. My only complaint is that the silver/holographic lettering and M stripe colours almost disappear in low light and as such photograph poorly. However in bright light they look spot on. The items themselves are beautifully made and easy to fit, though I have had to re-tighten the grub screws on the gear knob.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then a big item to tick off for me and the last pricey one for a while, a Supersprint Race exhaust. Some people call it Sport but it's the middle one of the range. I purchased this from @m3rosco around the time that travel and outdoor meeting (with respect to restrictions) became accessible. I have to say the roads around Norfolk are stunning, well worth a trip up there even if you don't pick up an exhaust!

Noise wise, it's not as loud at idle as I was initially expecting. To tell you the truth it's barely noticeable, however while driving the noise gets exponentially louder as the revs climb, which if you think about it suits the characteristics of the engine. On the whole it's a better compromise I guess as it doesn't let everyone know you're coming from miles away just by cruising around town.

But let's face it, plenty of exhausts are loud, why pay all the extra for just the brand? On the motorway, I experience absolutely no drone at all and again can barely notice the difference, but when you open it up a little you can hear it roaring. It's louder, bassier and just has a better note. Not to mention being designed to a high enough standard to not lose any power or attract unwanted attention. I of course gave it a good polish up (but somehow forgot to take all the pics in landscape :oops2:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also bought a private plate - S6 WOA. Had my eye on this one a while but kept going back and forth on it. I was also eyeing up M3 BNY but refused to pay a grand for it and this only cost £250.

There's no personal meaning but I think having a 5 digit plate looks really tidy and love registrations that suit the car. S6 is for Straight 6 and WOA is for "Woah!" - after numerous photoshop attempts to test the idea I finally pulled the trigger after seeing a TVR drive past with S6 OOH on it.

I also decided to fit them with magnets (stealing the idea from @MikeRT4) to stop crap accumulating behind them that I can't wash away and so I can take them off for pics (though not while my front bumper is still covered in screw holes). Used some bits of foam to locate the rear plate and minimise the magnets rubbing. All attached with 2 part epoxy (Araldite) though Mike says hot glue works! I Couldn't attach the front plates in this manner as the polystyrene support looks to be plastic welded on and I needed the car for the weekend. Why you ask? Keep reading and find out...

At a meet earlier in the year I met @Matt Hives and his E39 M5 which he has since sold, but through him met a few other great people and so became an honorarily member allowed to attend a drive to the Peak District (and back to London, in one day) with CSOC - the UK's premier 330Ci Clubsport Group.

At 526 miles from door to door, it was a long day. A few of the good spots got missed due to the difficulties of organising a drive with 20 people in an area with minimal phone signal and few petrol stations (even fewer being Shell), but given the on and off rain the roads couldn't really be enjoyed safely anyway.

In the morning I managed photos at the meeting points in Beaconsfield services and Ashbourne Cricket Club where I met a guy with a stunning LBB LCI M2. Although of course I had to take advantage of the view at the bottom of Winnats Pass. That's a view you don't forget coming down...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After talking about it for too long, and lockdown restrictions easing sufficiently, some good friends - @0asis2007 @Warrenj1uk & @mjyeams - and myself got around to organising a trip to Wales on a few weeks notice, building on the route I took last year.

We intended to limit it to Sunday in order to more easily accommodate for those with family commitments, but ended up staying overnight in Bristol, primarily meaning it wasn't such an arduous 1 day trip for the Ipswich based boys, but also meaning Sunday morning would get us into Wales sooner and not have to sit on the M25.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We travelled up and down the Brecon Beacons once more, mostly in the rain but then got on to the best roads leading into the Black Mountains as it cleared.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not being able to travel the whole road last year due to a road closure, I was blown away by the second half. The roads and scenery really do need to be seen to be believed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Being a bit ahead of time we travelled home via Cheddar Gorge at Matt's suggestion, and boy were we in for a treat! The Gorge itself is simply stunning, though not fit for driving quickly due to the tight radiuses of the bends and loose gravel on the roads, not to mentions the tourists littering the route. That said however, the high walls offer a fantastic tunnel-like reverberation which a charming young lad in a Polo among others took full advantage of.

To top it all off, we found some fantastic roads on the way back! The trip really was perfect from start to finish. Driving with friends is a hobby I discovered way too late, and if you are still yet to too, I suggest you change it asap!

If you'd like to see more of others cars, please see here... https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threads/south-wales-day-trip-with-a-few-m3s.229810/

Thanks for reading. Time for me to see how everyone else is doing :eek:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Keith, 0asis2007, mjyeams and 2 others like this.
  14. 7 Aug 2020 at 12:09 AM #74
    shorty123

shorty123 Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    2003 BMW M3 Coupe
    Great thread! Keep it up

I was about to buy some genuine repeaters, are the Depo ones better?

cheers

YoungBenny likes this.
  15. 7 Aug 2020 at 7:04 AM #75
    YoungBenny

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    :thanks:

The side repeaters yes. Everyone seems to have issues with the genuine ones. I can check if I still have the gen ones and post them to you if you like and you can see how long they last? But it will literally be one wash and they'll mist up again.

16. 7 Aug 2020 at 9:35 AM #76
    sak83

sak83 Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 Facelift Manual Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril Blue / Black
    Nice update, are you running the supersprint with the oem centre?

17. 7 Aug 2020 at 10:25 AM #77
    YoungBenny

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    Supersprint resonated centre, see page 2

sak83 likes this.
  18. 7 Aug 2020 at 11:34 AM #78
    shorty123

shorty123 Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    2003 BMW M3 Coupe
    Thanks but I had the same issue with 2 genuine sets, thought it may just be because they’re not new

19. 7 Aug 2020 at 11:38 AM #79
    YoungBenny

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    I doubt it. Mine didn't last long and neither did a few other people's I know. Depo ones on eBay are only <£20

20. 7 Aug 2020 at 12:10 PM #80
    Keith

Keith Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    S65B40
    Colour Combo:
    Santorini Competition Pack
    Superb pics and love the updates Benny. Such a beautiful E46. Reminds me of my old one and all the little jobs and updates I did.

I had that exact Titanium finish Storm knob in my old Z3 M Coupe, bought it directly from Bilal back when he was a forum sponsor on e36coupe.com! As you say it adds some serious weight and shift positivity to the throw. Nice touch.

I had no idea there was a 330 Clubsport group. Nice they have a little enthusiast following. Wonder if >>my old one<< is on there anywhere? Was the first car I really loved back in the day.

Keep up the superb work mate :thumbsup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)