Bangernomics

Discussion in 'Other Marques' started by zulfario94, Feb 13, 2020 at 8:00 PM.

1. 13 Feb 2020 at 8:00 PM #1
    zulfario94

zulfario94 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril Blue with Black Nappa Leather
    Yes I made a very stupid decision and got rid of my M3.

Yes your reading it right I'm wanting to ask advice on the following two cars regarding reliability:

Polo 1.6tdi
    Mk7 fiesta 1.6 tdci

I agree with you all reading that I need my head checking as this is a petrol heads forum but right now I've just made some investments and need something cheap,cheerful and reliable until I'm in a better position to buy what I really want to buy.

Budgeting up to 4k I don't want to spend anymore on a crappy diesel.
    Key bracket being £30 tax and low maintenance.

If you have any experience with the above cars or other similar cars please advise me as I've been without a car for nearly 2 weeks and I don't know what to buy.

2. 13 Feb 2020 at 8:55 PM #2
    sauluk

sauluk Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2017 M3 CP
    Colour Combo:
    Black / Black
    I got my mum a Mazda 2 Sport for similar money a few years back. Great little car with a decent spec and bulletproof.

Also not so much of a new driver target so tend to be better looked after than polos / fiestas etc. NA petrol so less to go wrong too.

zulfario94 likes this.
  3. 13 Feb 2020 at 9:01 PM #3
    Hopz121

Hopz121 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 BMW M3 Manual
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey with Grey leather
    wouldn't say £4000 is banger territory

you can get a decent reliable diesel for under £2000 easy enough.

4. 13 Feb 2020 at 9:02 PM #4
    ADL

ADL Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M3 CSL & mk2 Golf GTi 16v & Golf R & Audi S3
    My bro bought a 2011 Polo 1.2l 3cyl moda? (Think that’s what it’s called)
    Looks smart, costs peanuts to run, well built and fairly buzzy little engine.
    It gets like 70mpg and is 30pa tax. Can’t go wrong.

zulfario94 likes this.
  5. 13 Feb 2020 at 10:08 PM #5
    zulfario94

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    Yeah it's not a proper bangernomics but I didn't want anything 100k and wanted £30 tax.

6. 14 Feb 2020 at 9:03 AM #6
    Dcdad43

Dcdad43 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3
    Any car can turn out to be an unreliable mistake. Just fire some rough criteria into autotrader and see what comes out.
    Know anyone in the trade who has a something that might do the job? know them well enough that they won't kipper you up:D.
    Your budget opens up a massive choice. I'd be spending a lot less for a stopgap car if it was me, £1500 ish.
    Buy right with an eye on what will be easy to move and on you will lose next to nowt.
    Your two suggestions are not bad.
    I enjoyed my trip into bangernomics a few years ago, had a £1k focus for about 3 months and sold it for £50 more than I gave for it.:halm:

zulfario94 likes this.
  7. 14 Feb 2020 at 10:02 AM #7
    zulfario94

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    As mentioned above I moved pretty much most of my money into this investment so the 4k Max budget banger will be used for a good few years. If it was the case of a 1k car I wouldn't worry and buy the best for what I could get. But I want it to last and be reliable. From everything I've seen the two above appeal the most to me but wanted to know if anyone on here had one. I will look at petrol equivalents too.

8. 14 Feb 2020 at 10:44 AM #8
    Dcdad43

Dcdad43 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3
    Just fired 1.5k, up to £30 road tax and diesel into autotrader, was pleasantly surprised to see range of cars that came up with, not all been to the moon either mileage wise. Almost tempted to buy something, nearly as cheap as card and flowers for the handbrake!!

4k will get you something really nice. I just fired your criteria into Autotrader.

A real left field choice is a an Alfa Mito 1.6 JTDM, 2014 under 50k miles. Private seller on autotrader, quite few previous owners but if the condition was good and I got a good vibe form the current owner that wouldn't put me off

Don't be frightened off by Alfas reputation, my lad has had one for a over year, not a bit of bother, and that's a 9 year old car, cheap to insure as well as a first car.

Reliability wise just do the usual checks, service history, MOT history, in some respects buying private means you get to meet the current owner and make a judgement, the sort who is is keen to offload a heap of junk or genuine seller who looks after their cars, you get to ask them some questions.

Also worth checking out insurance costs before you leap in as well, again to avoid surprises.

If you are keeping it for a while do you just want cheap transport that requires you park it round the corner to avoid someone seeing you in it or something you are happy to be seen in!!

zulfario94 likes this.
  9. 14 Feb 2020 at 10:51 AM #9
    zulfario94

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    Im not put off by alfas, I'm saving up for a quadrifoglia, but while money is elsewhere I'm just buying something cheap and reliable. As I said 4k is my max, the fiestas come with cruise which is nice, the polo has the German build, I like the Mazda 2 as it looks nice has nice spec. I'm just trying to buy the best car I can, reliability is a big factor and tax being 30. I just want cheap motoring after the m3 which was over pampered. Not bothered about image as I don't care who sees me in what I drive currently borrowing a 51 plate polo 1.4tdi which is battered but does 620 on a tank. But using it on the motorway it is a bit lightweight and gets blown about in this weather we currently have.
    I do two motorway journeys a month and the rest are commutes to and from work, having never looked at this market everytime I search for reviews all I find are issues with oil starvation, turbo failures and injectors seals leaking etc. So I just want to find something that is easy to live with. Hence the two cars I think fit the bill but wanted real world experience from anyone who has had one longer than a few months.

Dcdad43 likes this.
  10. 14 Feb 2020 at 1:29 PM #10
    Tyreman

Tyreman Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Alpine White/Fox Red
    I ran a Fiesta 1.4TDCI Van for about three years as a cheap work runabout, bought it for £900 with 360K miles on it and sold it with over 400K for £500.

No issues at all great little thing and had a queue of people waiting to buy it :thumbsup:

zulfario94 likes this.
  11. 14 Feb 2020 at 6:33 PM #11
    theworkerb

theworkerb Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    03 E46 M3 - Mystic Blue
    We have a Mazda2 as our daily and it's a fantastic little car. Servicing parts are cheap, good on fuel, £30 a year and it has cc, dab, Lane assist and hill start assist. Wouldn't hesitate in recommending one

zulfario94 likes this.
  12. 14 Feb 2020 at 8:30 PM #12
    Raif

Raif Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    V8
    Shame you sold the M3 it was a beaut.

Don't buy one of those small engined diesels will cost you more money. EGR valves, injectors, clogged VGT turbo etc etc. Aside from that they shake themselves to death.

Get a small petrol engine a lot of them come under 30 pound bracket and are economical without the associated repair costs. Also quiet smooth and don't have stinking fumes which is a bonus

zulfario94 likes this.
  13. 14 Feb 2020 at 10:11 PM #13
    cribert

cribert Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    A wumans one
    You can’t go wrong with a polo. As said above there’s so many cars under 4K that will fit the bill perfectly. Bangernomics for me is ~£500

zulfario94 likes this.
  14. 14 Feb 2020 at 10:27 PM #14
    zulfario94

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    Yeah it's not really a banger but compared to the usual stuff we guy on cutters I guess it can be considered a banger.

15. 15 Feb 2020 at 9:12 AM #15
    zulfario94

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    I've looked at the 1.6td and I really like it and as you said they come with cruise which is a bonus and generally well equipped too. This could be a contender too.

16. 15 Feb 2020 at 11:26 AM #16
    M3POWERBOY

M3POWERBOY Sponsor

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 SMG Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey/Black Nappa/Alcantara Custom Recaro CS/CSL
    £4K will get you a better car though

VW GOLF tdi

I’ve got a VW Passat 2.0tdi bluemotion estate- nice spec, 50-65mpg, £30 yr tax, superb daily - I paid £4300 for mine from a garage with a new Cambelt,water pump,tensioners etc it’s on 158k now- I do the servicing myself every 9k miles

zulfario94 likes this.
  17. 15 Feb 2020 at 11:30 AM #17
    harrypevo

harrypevo Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E30 m3, e36 m3, mk2 gti
    I love my little mito. I'm reluctant to call it an anger because it's 12 years newer and done half the miles of anything else I've owned!

Makes a good runaround that's a bit quirky even if the chassis is just fiat punto / Vauxhall corsa.

Reminds me of thrashing around in hot hatches when I was a youth. 5star safety rating means they're pretty cheap to insure too.

Mines a multiair petrol so no idea what the diesels are like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

zulfario94 likes this.
  18. 15 Feb 2020 at 11:46 AM #18
    zulfario94

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    I know there are bigger and better cars for sale for 4k but I don't need the space and I literally want cheap motoring. Small car will suffice for my needs

19. 15 Feb 2020 at 12:04 PM #19
    M3POWERBOY

M3POWERBOY Sponsor

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 SMG Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey/Black Nappa/Alcantara Custom Recaro CS/CSL
    I understand but the term Bangeromics isn’t £4K lol

A £4K will need maintenance like any other car so not cheap if you get my sense

If you want a proper cheap Bangeromics car get a high miler for £1k and never service it- it will prob last you 2-3 years and save you a fortune

Or it could blow up and leave you stranded lol (like any other car come to think of it?!)

If you want the cars you mentioned for £4K you will get a nice one- but it won’t necessarily be cheap motoring if bits need doing etc

20. 15 Feb 2020 at 12:15 PM #20
    zulfario94

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    No I completely understand your drift, the 4k is my max I'm currently looking at 3k. As for maintenance coming from the m3 where my front brakes costs £500 alone. I think I could change most parts on these cars for a similar price. Obviously with it being a budget car I'm not wanting to throw money into it but all the parts that will be wear and tear will more than likely be much cheaper to replace.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)