Attempted E92 Theft, 29JUL2018, 0520BST

Discussion in 'Secure My Car' started by Ben H, Jul 29, 2018.

1. 29 Jul 2018 at 8:41 AM #1
    Ben H

Ben H A mere CHipper

Attempted theft of my E92 M3 early hours of this morning. Received text message from the car as I wasn’t connected to Internet (currently out in Afghanistan).

Thieves were disturbed by alarm, after somehow removing the front window.

Glad to know it’s got the Pandora alarm on it though, as even if they’d managed to access the OBD they wouldn’t have gone anywhere in it. Still glad I chose the alarm over a bollard.

CCTV footage, no faces, look like they knew what they were doing aiming for the OBD port and keeping to the A Pillar.

Link if video doesn’t work: https://youtu.be/YQc4gBnIXag

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/YQc4gBnIXag[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  2. 29 Jul 2018 at 8:48 AM #2
    M3MSR

M3MSR Wearing official underwear

What a loser for kicking the front end as they walked off cause they were outsmarted. Turns out the alarm was a good investment. Glad you car is ok.
    These people are the scum of society

3. 29 Jul 2018 at 8:53 AM #3
    Jimboe92M3

Jimboe92M3 On the path

Absolute scum!!! Good choice with the alarm though. It's just a shame it can't dish out 50,000 volts at the same time as making a noise.

4. 29 Jul 2018 at 8:56 AM #4
    E46CoupeM3

E46CoupeM3 Achieved official socks

It's a shame the alarms not allowed to deploy an appropriate airbag and take their heads off

Blood washes of leather right?

5. 29 Jul 2018 at 10:43 AM #5
    Ben H

Ben H A mere CHipper

50,000 volts would have been a nice addition, I agree. Or something more aggressive.

Definitely glad I had the alarrm, as if it had been the factory BMW job I’m convinced the car would’ve been gone before anyone in the house knew anything about it. Pain in the arse trying to sort a window replacement, and £190 Id rather spend elsewhere, but much rather that than have to claim for the vehicle being pinched. That’s what the insurance is for, but it shouldn’t come to that in this day and age...working hard to buy something you want only to have to pay to protect it from others that want your stuff.

Police Scene of Crime Officer won’t go to the house as “it’s raining”. Good job it hardly ever rains in the U.K...presumably a PCSO will follow up at some point.

6. 30 Jul 2018 at 1:04 PM #6
    Londongal7

Londongal7 Wearing official underwear

IS the car safe now?

7. 30 Jul 2018 at 1:05 PM #7
    Saz

Saz Achieved official socks

Total scum!

8. 1 Aug 2018 at 10:01 AM #8
    Raif

Raif Achieved official socks

What scum. Thanks for sharing it. My pal had the same but he has re located his OBD port so after popping the window and seeing there iss no port they went.

Whats does your Pandora alarm do out of interest?

EDIT: Just found the website cool bit of kit.

P.S. seeing him kick the bumper like that made me livid

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  9. 2 Aug 2018 at 5:14 AM #9
    Ben H

Ben H A mere CHipper

Yes, the car is safe - local BMW took it into their secure facility while I get the window replacement.

Think they’d have had a surprise if they’d managed to plug anything into the OBD port on mine too - immobilised as standard with the Pandora alarm. Glad I paid for it, especially as I can monitor the car remotely whenever I’m away from home (e.g. while it’s in BMW’s care). Having read up on how thieves try to nick these cars, I figured it was a toss up between immobilising it or relocating it.

Kicking the bumper out of frustration no doubt, but petulant nonetheless. Fortunately BMW are looking after it so I don’t need to worry about them returning before the window is replaced and while I’m overseas.

10. 2 Aug 2018 at 6:32 AM #10
    Saz

Saz Achieved official socks

Glad to hear bud :thumbsup:

11. 2 Aug 2018 at 4:16 PM #11
    SecureMyCar

SecureMyCar Wearing official underwear Sponsor

Awful to see this but also glad to see that the Pandora is doing its job. I like the idea of the air bag blowing their heads off when kicking the car. I will pass this suggestion on to the manufactures :muttley:....what Idiots!!!

12. 2 Aug 2018 at 4:24 PM #12
    delboylee

delboylee Achieved official socks

That's horrible to see, in daylight too - so brazen of them. Glad they didn't take the car but you have to foot the bill for the window :(

Police won't do much I reckon, sad times.

13. 3 Aug 2018 at 1:01 PM #13
    Jimbo25

Jimbo25 Achieved official socks

If you relocated the OBD port elsewhere, could leave a dummy plug in place and just leave 12v lives and grounds dotted about it, might just **** their equipment up and prevent others being stolen?

Can't watch the vid OP but sounds like the protection was worth the money, shame you have to go to such lengths.