Any M3 CSL's for sale

Discussion in 'M3 CSL / M3 GT and other Limited Editions' started by PeeTee, Jul 1, 2020.

1. 14 Jul 2020 at 9:27 PM #21
    Chady

Chady Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    csl
    Colour Combo:
    Sg
    Mileage in your search range,, new one at the auction , it will be interesting

2. 14 Jul 2020 at 9:29 PM #22
    Buttertubs

Buttertubs Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    997 C4S
    I bought a 2006 911 in late feb that's averaged 3500 miles a year through it's life. So far I've covered 2000 miles in it so far, I didn't buy it to look at it in the garage.

If i replace it with a CSL that will be used the same...

DaveMSport likes this.
  3. 20 Jul 2020 at 6:26 PM #23
    Chady

What're you driving?:
    csl
    Colour Combo:
    Sg
    What’s the view on cars that have this kind of history. Average 15,000 first 3 years , then less than 800 miles per year over 13 years ,, 7 previous keepers,, not really an investor car with mileage. IMO why not use:think:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  4. 22 Jul 2020 at 2:29 PM #24
    ExCop530dT

ExCop530dT Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    E39 Ex Police 530d Touring
    Colour Combo:
    Brilliant White & Black Leather
    Hi,

The usage has dropped off as it's with an owner who now believes/thinks/hoping that by keeping the miles off it, in years to come it'll sell for a larger/much larger actual selling price. There's a good chance it will if all the other essential maintenance aspects are covered as and when needed as well as preventative maintenance too. There's also a good chance that it won't actually sell in coming years/decades for as large a selling price as hoped!

Cheers, Dennis!

5. 22 Jul 2020 at 5:21 PM #25
    Chady

What're you driving?:
    csl
    Colour Combo:
    Sg
    My point Dennis , to me an investment car ,, is very low mileage , say sub 10k - mileage, possibly 15k ,,,but 45k In first 3 years ,, takes it out of that bracket for me personally ,,then average -800 miles per year over 13 years just doesn’t genuinely stack up to keep the mileage low,,,:think:with 7 previous,, But then service costs insurance etc. For the last 13 years. Doesn’t seem worth the bother , may as well just use the thing ,, one of our csl has about 120 k mileage from memory. And the other about 72k , both one owner cars ,, so get used but not not as they would have! if multiple owners,, and we probably will just about cover cost of buying the things back in 04 ,, but with running costs service insurance etc ,, they are a loss financially,, that’s without unforeseen costs ,, totally get they are a enthusiast car and probably worth the money now but, For me things just don’t stack up :wtf:

6. 22 Jul 2020 at 5:42 PM #26
    ExCop530dT

ExCop530dT Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    E39 Ex Police 530d Touring
    Colour Combo:
    Brilliant White & Black Leather
    Hi Chady,

When the cars were new, the usual clientele purchased them and many were indeed used/driven as daily drivers and track slags as no one 'knew' they'd become so sought after. Indeed, I went to a scappy one time and picked up my genuine Alcantara CSL SMG steering wheel out of a mangled one! (had it in my E39 Touring from around 2008-2019!) So there's perhaps examples like this one, a good bit of mileage in the first few years, a few owner changes and then the interest in them ramped up and over the last few years, they've rocketed. The owner(s) of this car have perhaps been those who've seen that rise and thought, use it less and that'll help with potential owners in the future who place 'mileage' very high up in the priority list for buying one.

Everyone has a different take on what makes an 'investment car' especially when you narrow it down to interesting examples of BMW's (and Mercs, Audis, Fords etc) There will always be low milers like you mention, but those are relatively few and far between. With these '3 series' then the chances are they have been driven as there's more people who purchased them new (mainly the M3 here) CSL's may have more examples still at 10-30 K miles but there's also the 'risk' many of them were indeed driven hard as track slags before being stored away as selling prices rose and more detailing (painting too) was done to spruce them back up whilst in storage and the hope that in years/decades time, they'll sell for 'big' money.

If you are looking for an investment car, then perhaps continue looking for one of those 'low milers' and the risks such cars have from sitting around for ages/months/years etc.

If you are looking to own a modern legend and drive and enjoy it over the next few year/decade(s) then consider it, enjoy it and drive it..

Before petrol becomes £3/litre and it's £50 per day to drive in a town/city, VED becomes a minimum of £1500 and insurance has a 40% surcharge added on top of any quote!!

Cheers, Dennis!

7. 22 Jul 2020 at 8:24 PM #27
    Chady

What're you driving?:
    csl
    Colour Combo:
    Sg
    I’m happy to see prices keep rising on csl drive and enjoy, from my experience of owning theses cars makes more sense to use at the moment than making a few pounds profits :drive1:, but well worth the £45k-50k

8. 31 Jul 2020 at 10:20 AM #28
    HerrBonden

HerrBonden Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    2019 M4CP
    Colour Combo:
    San Marino Blue
    I guess the bottom of the market is held up by what the sum of a car's parts, when broken. The chap with the 145,000 mile manual conversion said he thinks his car is worth more broken than whole. It failed to sell on Collecting Cars for c.£36k.

I'm aware of uninsured cars that have crashed on track with clean VINs being bought for strong money. I'll let people's imagination run with the reason why.

9. 31 Jul 2020 at 11:28 AM #29
    Chady

What're you driving?:
    csl
    Colour Combo:
    Sg
    Yep know the car ,, possibly mileage puts buyers off.... BUT Don’t understand why it didn’t sell with all the bolllocks about people saying csl should have been a manual ,,, well they missed that one :wtf: Hopefully investors will keep pushing the price up on so-called low mileage csl ,, that will possibly increase the genuine mileage cars higher ,, happy days :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  10. 1 Aug 2020 at 8:58 PM #30
    Sam87

Sam87 Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3's Coupe + Vert - S600 V12TT - RS4 B7
    Colour Combo:
    Le Mans Blue/White Interior
    Can you tell us some more on this please?
    If it can be said on a forum, if not, I understand :beer:

pony likes this.
  11. 1 Aug 2020 at 11:12 PM #31
    HerrBonden

HerrBonden Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    2019 M4CP
    Colour Combo:
    San Marino Blue
    Not uncommon practice is certain circles. Stolen car assumes identity of the crashed car and is now a clean, unrecorded, HPI clear etc. car.

Sam87 likes this.
  12. 2 Aug 2020 at 1:28 AM #32
    Sam87

Sam87 Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3's Coupe + Vert - S600 V12TT - RS4 B7
    Colour Combo:
    Le Mans Blue/White Interior
    It's crazy to what length some people go to just to make some money!
    Also very sad for the poor owner that buys a car thinking its hpi clear

pony likes this.
  13. 3 Aug 2020 at 6:25 PM #33
    pony

pony Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2006 BMW M3 CS Coupe; 1987 325i SPORT; 2000 FACELIFT 750iL
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black Metallic Paint ; Black Nappa Leather
    2014, I saw a crashed E46 M3 CSL being repaired in NW London in a bodyshop. It was Silver Grey. Wonder who owns it now.

14. 3 Aug 2020 at 6:30 PM #34
    pony

pony Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2006 BMW M3 CS Coupe; 1987 325i SPORT; 2000 FACELIFT 750iL
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black Metallic Paint ; Black Nappa Leather
    If the stolen car assumes identity of crashed car so basically has identity change and the stolen car never been involved in any crashes then wouldn’t it be a uncrashed CSL despite the identity change ?

I detest and hate the scum in the motor trade that get involved in dodgy things like this. It no wonder a lot of people think it just thickos that go into the motor trade who can’t do any thing better. Motor trade being retail side of automotive industry so sales, servicing and repairs. Does not include working for manufacturers.

As the poor unsuspecting customer who pays good money for a car that is anything but good, uncrashed or clean etc gets fooled.

15. 4 Sep 2020 at 3:04 PM #35
    Shea

Shea A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    I've been keeping an eye on the CSL market from time to time as I could see myself getting one, back around Oct/Nov 2019 there was a good selection for sale 75k - 89k miles and around 37k - 42k pounds. I've been looking again over the last month and there is very limited selection at the moment and the prices seem to have increased, which seems to buck the trend I've noticed on other classics recently.

On pistonheads there's a 48k miles CSL for 58k pounds, I think gt3s represent better value at the moment there's a 996 gt3 mk2 with 34k miles for sale at JZM for 59k pounds.

M3MANIAC likes this.
  16. 4 Sep 2020 at 3:41 PM #36
    Yanto

Yanto Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2003 M3 CSL / 2015 RS4 Avant
    Colour Combo:
    SG / Sepang
    The midnight blue one ? Looks very nice and well priced. Rare colour as well.

Agree, at £59k, I’d take that GT3.

M3MANIAC likes this.
  17. 6 Sep 2020 at 2:13 PM #37
    M3POWERBOY

M3POWERBOY Sponsor

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 SMG Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey/Black Nappa/Alcantara Custom Recaro CS/CSL
    My mate has just bought a 60k mile gen 1 996 GT3 - tbh I’d be putting my money in one of those rather than a CSL

The prices of the GT3 are good atm I’d say in 5 years time they will start rising into the £60-70k’s so a good investment

M33SWJ likes this.
  18. 6 Sep 2020 at 2:13 PM #38
    M3POWERBOY

M3POWERBOY Sponsor

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 SMG Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    There was one doing the rounds wasn’t there- it had been crashed and ‘repaired’

19. 6 Sep 2020 at 4:54 PM #39
    Chady

What're you driving?:
    csl
    Colour Combo:
    Sg
    Personally for a investment I’d put it into property,, Don’t see low end £40k - £60k cars as an investment csl or gt3 as a good return they just cost you money, but the price is the price so buy to enjoy :drive1:

20. 6 Sep 2020 at 5:45 PM #40
    M3POWERBOY

M3POWERBOY Sponsor

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 SMG Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    What I mean is if you are buying a car and want it as an investment I’d buy a GT3 over a CSL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)